Notices

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia
I have server at home and I wanted to be able to use it as a network storage. Samba or NFS can be used for that but they require fast hardware for good performance. My server is not very powerful and so is n900. And it is really hard to enable authentication on NFS (you'll need to set up kerberos server just for that). So I decided to use remotefs because it is does not require good hardware for good performance and is weary easy to set up and use.

Packages for most desktop linux distributions and source code can be found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/remotefs/
Packages for n900 are attached here.

You will need fuse installed on n900 for renotefs to work:
apt-get install libfuse2 fuse-utils

Install client with:
dpkg -i rfs_0.15-2_armel.deb
Install server with:
dpkg -i rfsd_0.15-2_armel.deb
Install rfsnss (you probably don't need this):
dpkg -i rfsnss_0.15-2_armel.deb
You don't need all packages. If you want only server o client install only that package.

How to mount remote file system
rfs serverip:/export/path /mount/point
Example:
Code:
rfs 192.168.1.1:/home/user/share /home/user/MyDocs/share
If authentication is enabled for share then create a text file with password for share in it and add to mount options:
-o username=YourUserName,password=/path/to/file/with/password
Example:
Code:
echo MyPassword > /home/user/MyDocs/password.txt
rfs 192.168.1.1:/home/user/share /home/user/MyDocs/share -o username=MyUserName,password=/home/user/MyDocs/password.txt
All this can be done as normal user. If you mount share as root and want to be able to access it as user you should add allow_other to options like this:
rfs 192.168.1.1:/home/user/share /home/user/MyDocs/share -o allow_other,username=MyUserName,password=/home/user/MyDocs/password.txt
It should be possible to umount the share as user with command:
fusermount -u /home/user/MyDocs/share
but for some reason it does not work on n900 (it's not remotefs bug, its a bug in fuse utils on n900). So you can only umount as root with command:
umount /home/user/MyDocs/share

More instructions can be found at: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...tle=Help:HowTo

How to create a share
All commands on n900 for creating a share should be done as root.
Edit file /etc/rfs-exports to set the directories you want to share.
There are examples and some instructions in default file /etc/rfs-exports.

If you want to share folder /home/user/share on your computer with everyone on your network without authentication then add a line:
Code:
/home/user/share *
at the end of /etc/rfs-exports file.
If you only want user MyUserName with password MyPassword to have access to your share set the password with command:
Code:
rfspasswd  MyUserName
then you will be asked for a password.
And add a line:
Code:
/home/user/share MyUserName
at the end of /etc/rfs-exports file.

Start the server with:
Code:
/etc/init.d/rfsd start
Be aware that it will not start if you want rfsd to accept connections not only from local network if you dont set -q option. By default it is set to accept connections from all networks so it did not start on my PC (and Fedora did not even print the error message, so I only found it out then I started it manually). To set the -q option (ignore warnings) uncomment on PC:
QUIET="-q"
in file /etc/init.d/rfsd
or on n900
RFSD_QUIET="-q"
in file /etc/defaults/rfsd

I did not put packages in repository because I don't have time right now to make a normal build script for autobuilder. And since there is so gui for this right now you will need to use terminal anyway. The author of remotefs supports build even for embedded systems (openwrt), so I will contact him and maybe he will maintain version for n900 as well.

ps. I had an idea to write gui application for mounting different linux file systems on n900 similar to Wizard Mounter (it only supports NFS and Samba right now). I wanted it to support more remote file systems (davfs2, remotefs, sshfs, CurlFtpFS) and encryption file systems (encfs, eCryptfs) and some others (lessfs, FuseCompress, aufs, Unionfs). Will people use this gui? Should I write it?
If I will make the gui it does not mean that it will support all filesystems. I can try and build fuse based ones, but I really don't want to manage all filesystems packages. For filesystems that are in kernel (like eCryptfs) you should ask power-kernel maintainers.
Right now I think n900 supports only samba, nfs, sshfs, davfs2 without ssl, and as of now remotefs.
Attached Files
File Type: deb rfs_0.15-2_armel.deb (50.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: deb rfsd_0.15-2_armel.deb (47.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: deb rfsnss_0.15-2_armel.deb (16.3 KB, 91 views)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to @SR For This Useful Post:
well well very nice

but is it used to mount smb sever ? like mounting the shares of my win7 computer?

And can't wizard mounter do the same job ?

Thanks

No it can only mount and create rfs shares. It is not compatible with smb.
If you want smb shares you should user Samba and Wizard Mounter.

I ported remotefs to n900 because Samba uses a lot of resources and is not vary fast. But remotefs can be installed on cheap router that is supported by openwrt firmware and it will show good results.

Hmm thanks for reply
and sry for my noobish question but what are rfs used on? (linux)?
or can it be used with windows ?

Right now there are only packages for linux. But it is possible to build a package for any system that supports FUSE (I think it won't be difficult to build remotefs for Mac OS or FreeBSD).
There are no build for Windows. But I found some attempts to port FUSE to Windows so in theory it is possible to port remotefs.
If remotefs will show good results working in my home network maybe I will try and port it for Windows.
If only server part is required (to mount windows shares on n900) then I think it is possible to build it for windows because it does not have any os specific dependencies.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to @SR For This Useful Post:
Hope You successfuly make it if you try port Fuse to windoes