I am trying to setup my n900 for wired ethernet using USB-Ethernet adapter and h-e-n.

I'm at the point where the adapter is recognized, drivers loaded, and I have "eth0" interface.

But I am a linux newb - how do I configure the connection? So far I tried ifconfig down/up while connected to my router but that doesn't give me an IP. What commands can I use to get an IP?

And ultimately I want to use the n900 as a wired router/gateway, so... how do I configure a static IP for this eth0 connection? Does my n900 have a DHCP server built in?, if yes how do I configure it? if no, where do I get one?

TIA,

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
If you got that far, may I ask you to try "sudo apt-get install udhcpc" and then run "sudo udhcpc"?

ALSO, I believe you may be interested on reading this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...995#post927995

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Temporal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
If you have busybox-power installed, udhcpc and udhcpd are compiled into busybox, and apt-get, currently, tells me that "udhcpc is already at the highest version".

Either way, Temporal, thank you for your mention of the udhcpc package and command. This might tremendously help me in setting up USB and ethernet networking on the N900 (currently I don't feel like installing Mad Developer, so I have to manually configure IP addresses on both ends to get it to work, and I still haven't gotten it working consistently [especially ethernet. USB networking at least lets me know what the machine on the other end of the USB cord is doing as far as IP settings go).

nman: What usb-to-ethernet adapter are you using?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Thanks, will try udhcpc!

I'm using Sabrent gigabit ethernet adapter. ASIX chipset, power kernel already has the drivers.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-USB-G1.../dp/B000XFVZ5G

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nman For This Useful Post:
Quick update - udhcpd works great, learned some about ifconfig etc. For some reason udhcpc wouldn't work for me. (but since I ultimately want a server, it doesn't matter).

Now all I have to do is set up routing to gprs0....over to the hotspot scripts thread!