Active Topics

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
I read a lot about problems people have after updating to a new firmware.
Is it worth to do it and what steps should i do after uppdayting?
Maybe Nokia will fix this problems such as browsing e.t.c soon releasing a patch?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Sure, update but don't restore a backup as the backup may corrupt some themes etc. and repositories.

I would also recommend you remove any precious or expensive SD/SDHC cards until we have established why the new update is so keen to kill the cards.

I did an update without problems. Restored a backup and later tarred the whole ~user back. Everything works fine and my SD cards are not killed either.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2007 @ St.Petersburg, FL
WOW, i haven't read that it kill some mem cards yet! Glad i didn't have that problem.
Not restoring from backup i think is the biggest thing you can do to not have any issues. I also added all the repos i could and installed python runtime before installing anything else.

It is plain nonsense that the upgrade kills memory cards.

Everybody should upgrade, the new OS is so much better in many ways.

I updated...restored my complete backup with no problems. I did have to reinstall Gmail..Rhapsody..Maemo maps, but they both saw my sign in settings..so they were "saved" somehow

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
It is plain nonsense that the upgrade kills memory cards.
I suggest you read the various reports in this forum from users with cards that can no longer be accessed/formatted having applied the update, or even the bug in bugzilla before commenting on what is and what isn't nonsense, otherwise you may appear somewhat uninformed.

I think it only fair to advise people that there are apparent problems with the latest firmware upgrade which could - potentially - physically harm their expensive memory cards and that until Nokia advise otherwise it would be best to avoid using those cards, or applying the upgrade.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-07-09 at 03:21.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I suggest you read the various reports in this forum from users with cards that can no longer be accessed/formatted having applied the update, or even the bug in bugzilla before commenting on what is and what isn't nonsense, otherwise you may appear somewhat uninformed.
I just read that some people have some problems with some cards.

There is no proof at all that it is related to the firmware upgrade, just rumours and/or personal beliefs. And even if for some reason the N800 does clutter a filesystem (remember: this is unreliable VFAT), you just reformat and have it working again. The N800 does not physically kill a SD card.

Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I just read that some people have some problems with some cards.

There is no proof at all that it is related to the firmware upgrade, just rumours and/or personal beliefs. And even if for some reason the N800 does clutter a filesystem (remember: this is unreliable VFAT), you just reformat and have it working again. The N800 does not physically kill a SD card.
It is nice that you have no problems with sd/sdhc cards. But there are people having problems with it.
My N800 killed (!) three sdhc cards in the external slot. I had never problems
with the internal slot. These killed cards could not be recognized in:
- my N800
- WinXP with N800 as cardreader
- Linux (Ubuntu) with N800 as cardreader
- WinXP with HAMA sdhc cardreader
- Linux (Ubuntu) with HAMA sdhc cardreader

Also the famous "Panasonic SD Formatter" isn't able to recognize those cards again. So it is not possible to reformat such a killed card!!!
You are not the only person that knows the difference between damaged filesystem and a physically damaged card. I would be lucky, if just the filesystem were damaged.
And yes, it is not only related to the newest firmware! But it seems that
the problem became larger (imho).

For further info look at:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1204
and
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=7384

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I had really weird results after I upgraded. I couldn't find the backup I had made TWICE, and other inexplicable tthings happened/that eventually pointed to problems with the sd card. I had reflashed many times before this latest update without similar problems.

I hadn't had any hint of problems before the firmware update. I suspected that there might be a problem with non-sdhc cards. I reformatted mine with the n800 formatter and still everything seemed haywire. Finally I used a card reader to reformat and all SEEMS ok now.

Other than that, all seems ok with the update. I'm consiidering getting an 8-gig sdhc card...