Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
My insurance company just gave me an SGS2 and i've been setting it all up, but i can't figure out how to get my text messages onto it. I have about 6000 texts on the N900 and it's pretty important that i don't lose them so it's quite urgent that i get them onto the new phone but having never used Android properly before i have no idea how to do it.
I found this http://androidadvices.com/how-to-tra...ndroid-device/ guide on Nokia to Android conversion but i think it's just for Symbian as it hasn't produced any output file for me. So i figured as a number of people here have gonefrom N900 to SGS2 maybe someone could help me?

try nokia PC suite software to back it up to pc.

but to transfer them back u will need someone to borrow you a symbian device.

as SMS , ovi suit supports n900 sms

set the n900 on PC Suite mode.

Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
try nokia PC suite software to back it up to pc.

but to transfer them back u will need someone to borrow you a symbian device.

as SMS , ovi suit supports n900 sms

set the n900 on PC Suite mode.
Sorry i don't understand what you mean. Backup N900 to ovi suite, then put them onto symbian?

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Sorry i don't understand what you mean. Backup N900 to ovi suite, then put them onto symbian?

Yes. And then move it to the android phone

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on May 2010 @ London
Has any one actually tried to transfer SMS from N900 backup (made by Nokia OVI Suite) to any other symbian phone.

@richwhite
I wanted to copy and printout all my 7000+ SMS
In my case I saved them in excel file and then printed them.

I can help you in saving your messages that way, but you will have to figure out how to transfer them from Excel or CSV file to SGS2.

I am moving to SGS2 soon, so I appreciate you share anything useful you may find.

Originally Posted by t4ure4n View Post
Has any one actually tried to transfer SMS from N900 backup (made by Nokia OVI Suite) to any other symbian phone.

@richwhite
I wanted to copy and printout all my SMS 7000+ in my case I saved them in excel file.

I can help you in saving your messages that way, but you will have to figure out how to save them on SGS2.

I am moving to SGS2 soon, so I appreciate you share anything useful you may find.
I'm going to try the Symbian thing soon but i'm not sure it'll work - when i trialled the E7 i did the sync but it didn't have the option for SMS, i don't think they're in the same format so i'm not convinced Symbian will actually read them.

The SGS2 reads XML format apparently, so if you know how to save N900 SMS to that it should work?

Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
I'm going to try the Symbian thing soon but i'm not sure it'll work - when i trialled the E7 i did the sync but it didn't have the option for SMS, i don't think they're in the same format so i'm not convinced Symbian will actually read them.

The SGS2 reads XML format apparently, so if you know how to save N900 SMS to that it should work?
Because I have to do the same when I'll get my SGS2 next month I am willing to give it a try. (to save SMS from N900 as XML format.

Can you let me know where did you find the info about SGS2 + XML?

Do you know the datastructure / XML tags used in the XML file?
Im sure u need the XML file to have specific tags to be read by SGS2

Because I have to do the same when I'll get my SGS2 next month I am willing to give it a try. (to save SMS from N900 as XML format.

Can you let me know where did you find the info about SGS2 + XML?

Do you know the datastructure / XML tags used in the XML file?
Im sure u need the XML file to have specific tags to be read by SGS2
Honestly i know nothing about it at all other than what i read here http://androidadvices.com/how-to-tra...ndroid-device/
which says the converter changes Nokia SMS to XML format for Android. But based on the fact that converter didn't do anything for me i guess the N900 saves to a different format. So once my old 5800 is charged i'll try to put the N900 texts onto it and save them that way

If you have managed to create an XML file, please give me structure of XML file or just send it to me so that I cam examine it.
and try to write a program to convert SMS from N900 to SGS2 friendly XML format

If you have managed to create an XML file, please give me structure of XML file or just send it to me so that I cam examine it.
and try to write a program to convert SMS from N900 to SGS2 friendly XML format
how would i give you the structure?