Active Topics

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Park City, Utah, USA
I tried very hard to make this not sound like a rant against Nokia. I think they have done an outstanding job with the N800 hardware - I'm using it more and more every day instead of my notebook - but Nokia needs some serious work on their customer service for these things (hey, it's not a phone guys it's a computer). And I think newbies need to know what they are getting into.

As a new and excited N800 owner I installed the new firmware and launched Skype to call some friends. The sound quality was great, but we couldn't get the video to work. Since Skype was featured prominently in the announcement, and since the device has a camera I just assumed it would work. I sent off a quick e-mail to Nokia support asking about it. After waiting two days for a response this is what I got:

"We understand your inquiry into using Skype with your Nokia N800 Internet tablet.

Our records indicate that your Nokia N800 Internet Tablet does support voice-over-IP (VOIP). However, Nokia does not support any individual VOIP programs or their compatibility with our hardware. To learn about applications available for the tablet, please visit www.maemo.org, which can also be visited for general assistance."

Huh??? They make Skype part of the firmware upgrade but they won't support it, and they can't even tell me whether the camera should work with Skype?

So I moved on to Bluetooth and trying to use my phones for dial up networking. I have three different phones and all of them pair easily enough with the N800 but neither one will dial a network connection. (I use all three successfully with computers.) Again I sent a request for help to Nokia, explaining the problem clearly and asking how to debug such problems - there must be log files or some tool that can show what is not working. Their response was again totally worthless:

"Nokia does not text [sic] Nokia devices with third party products; therefore, we are unable to guaranty compatibility or full functionality when using your Treo 700wx with your Nokia N800 Internet Tablet.

We recommend using a Bluetooth wireless compatible Nokia phone with your tablet to ensure compatibility.

Regarding the availability of an error log file for your Nokia N800 Internet Tablet, error log files for Nokia products are proprietary and not available to customers."

How can log files be "proprietary"? Don't they want to fix this problem that a lot of people are having?

It seems like customers for a $400 device should get better customer service than those inane comments, especially since that seems to be the only official source of assistance. Just makes me appreciate even more all the people who willingly give their time and expertise on this forum to help others.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Scotland
Hmmmm Skype and Linux, yes I am baffled by Nokia including this too.

Have you tried contacting Skype for assistance ?

Skype calls I have had working in all sorts of linux distros on my PC but never with webcam yet.

Tant

Gee...as an owner of the 770 I'd love to have Skype-anything on mine! Instead I had to install and register with Gizmo, which I have tried and works well, except for loading new contacts. Unbelievably difficult to simply load a list of contact names and phone numbers.

Well, I can't answer your original question, if you had one. Skype video is still not reliable for me from a dual-cpu AMD machine, 2GB memory, DSL. So I wouldn't be surprised it doesn't work well, or at all, from a tablet. The camera on the n800, is it a still camera or a webcam?

Anyway as an old fart who started computin' with punch cards and 300 baud teletype machines, I still think it's amazing I can:

Call Mexico City for 2.1 US cents/minute (back when I married my MC bride eons ago it was well over a dollar/minute, when a dollar was Real Money). Or free if they're running their computin' machine.

Sit in a cafe and use either the 770 or even a cell phone and call anybody I want for cheap.

Solve numerical problems on a $1500 desktop machine that I couldn't do with a $1.5M dollar mainframe not so many years past.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm pretty sure that the letter you got back from Nokia is basically a standard template for most of their phones with the product name thrown in, for example your log files portion.

No, Skype currently does not support video. The new rtcomm beta has support for SIP + video (supposedly).

Originally Posted by hybrid View Post
I tried very hard to make this not sound like a rant against Nokia. I think they have done an outstanding job with the N800 hardware - I'm using it more and more every day instead of my notebook - but Nokia needs some serious work on their customer service for these things (hey, it's not a phone guys it's a computer). And I think newbies need to know what they are getting into.

As a new and excited N800 owner I installed the new firmware and launched Skype to call some friends. The sound quality was great, but we couldn't get the video to work. Since Skype was featured prominently in the announcement, and since the device has a camera I just assumed it would work. I sent off a quick e-mail to Nokia support asking about it. After waiting two days for a response this is what I got:

"We understand your inquiry into using Skype with your Nokia N800 Internet tablet.

Our records indicate that your Nokia N800 Internet Tablet does support voice-over-IP (VOIP). However, Nokia does not support any individual VOIP programs or their compatibility with our hardware. To learn about applications available for the tablet, please visit www.maemo.org, which can also be visited for general assistance."

Huh??? They make Skype part of the firmware upgrade but they won't support it, and they can't even tell me whether the camera should work with Skype?

So I moved on to Bluetooth and trying to use my phones for dial up networking. I have three different phones and all of them pair easily enough with the N800 but neither one will dial a network connection. (I use all three successfully with computers.) Again I sent a request for help to Nokia, explaining the problem clearly and asking how to debug such problems - there must be log files or some tool that can show what is not working. Their response was again totally worthless:

"Nokia does not text [sic] Nokia devices with third party products; therefore, we are unable to guaranty compatibility or full functionality when using your Treo 700wx with your Nokia N800 Internet Tablet.

We recommend using a Bluetooth wireless compatible Nokia phone with your tablet to ensure compatibility.

Regarding the availability of an error log file for your Nokia N800 Internet Tablet, error log files for Nokia products are proprietary and not available to customers."

How can log files be "proprietary"? Don't they want to fix this problem that a lot of people are having?

It seems like customers for a $400 device should get better customer service than those inane comments, especially since that seems to be the only official source of assistance. Just makes me appreciate even more all the people who willingly give their time and expertise on this forum to help others.
There is not ANY linux distro that support skjype's video calls.

And the best support channel is this forum, believe me....

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
As for your Bluetooth issues... Microsoft recently removed Bluetooth DUN support from Windows Mobile so if your phones are running WM that could explain why they don't work, there's a thread on this forum with some attempts to work around the problem using Bluetooth PAN. There is a bug (RFE) in the Maemo bugzilla requesting Bluetooth PAN support, but ultimately this problem is caused by Microsoft not Nokia. Not that that exonerates Nokias appaling customer service in any shape or form - it does sound like you have just received stock template answers.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
... There is a bug (RFE) in the Maemo bugzilla requesting Bluetooth PAN support, but ultimately this problem is caused by Microsoft not Nokia.
With more and more smartphones doing away with DUN I would think it would be in Nokia's best interest to support PAN, regardless of who initially "owned" the problem.

I can dream.

R.
==

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
In general I have to agree. I remember when I once had a question about the email application the answer was sort of "The 770 is built upon free software; free software is maintained by the community, not by Nokia, and therefore cannot be supported."

Just one thing though:

Originally Posted by hybrid View Post
As far as I understand (I'm still "770" and cant try myself at the moment) Skype is not part of the latest firmware update, you have to download it separately. So for this one application I guess they're right. (But I might be biased towards the needs of a support unit because that's where I work ...)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I don't see anything wrong with the Nokia response, and no, that isn't due to my bias-- the content of it is correct.

And Skype was not completely a part of the firmware. As you know, hybrid, it was a third-party solution you installed after upgrading the firmware, which at the most provided the proper infrastructure for Skype.

And I understand that you would assume webcam support, but if it isn't explicitly specified (and it wasn't) then you're safer assuming it isn't there yet. Besides, as has been said, this forum is the single best source of information.

As for the phone pairing, again: the info provided in that email wasn't "useless", and it was accurate. Nokia is not going to test every single phone with the tablet... but to my knowledge the Nokia models work very well and are fully supported. Do you expect Apple to guarantee full interoperability with every third-party peripheral claiming compliance? No. That's foolish.

I can sympathize with your frustration, but IMO you're going a bit overboard. I do hope that you are ultimately satisfied, though. I'm certain webcam support for Skype will materialize, and I'm betting you can find a solution for your phone pairing issue here.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by rickh View Post
With more and more smartphones doing away with DUN I would think it would be in Nokia's best interest to support PAN, regardless of who initially "owned" the problem.

I can dream.

R.
==
I think too think it would be good for Nokia to add PAN support, but until Microsoft unilateraly removed DUN support (which they have now admitted to being a mistake) there was never a problem.

However it's like saying that Microsoft suddenly begin creating Office documents in a new and strange format that no other applications are able to read, then blaming those other applications for not planning ahead. Oh hang on, I think we've been here before!