Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
I am using N900 now.

I am going to get an N9.

I think that because N900 and N950 both has HW keyboard,

so they will be a bit more similar, am I right ?

If I had a chance to use a N9 to change a N950, should I do it ?

Because I heard that there is no warranty for N950.

Any suggestions ?

I will appreciate that. Thanks.

PS. I found that on N9/N950, there is no more widgets on home screen anymore, it is just a backslide comparing to N900.

Last edited by lanwellon; 2011-10-17 at 05:01.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
The N950 is not supported by Nokia...
It's only legally allowed to developers as a "loaner" (albeit permanently I think)
Small no's are getting into the black market, but it's not supported.

Personally no hw qwerty is not the issue for me that it seems to be for others.
There's excellent portable BT/USB keyb's that are better for serious typing than built-ins.
And by all accounts the VKB is up there with the very best...
As with anything there's some bugs, & missing features (depending who you ask).
But at least some of that should be rectified by PR1.1 within the next mth or so.

The N9 is better in many other respects hardware-wise:
-64GB storage
-more sensitive compass/accelerometer
-NFC
-slightly larger capacity battery
-better screen overall (in some scenarios N950's screen is slightly better, thanks to greater sub-pixel density)
-polycarbonate body (most anecdotal evidence already suggests better cellular/gps reception)
-better camera optics (module is otherwise the same, cept N950 has 12mp sensor that can't be fully used)
-802.11an (I might be mistaken here, N950 might also have 5Ghz WiFi)
No doubt I'm forgetting something...

Definitely/possibly coming for the N9:
-USB host-mode (coming: possibly coming for the N950)*
-FMRX/RDS (coming: definitely coming for the N950)
-BT4.0 (possibly coming, not possible for the N950)
-FMTX (possibly coming, not possible for the N950)
-Flash11 (only for N9, looking unlikely, not ruled-out completely yet)
No doubt I'm forgetting something...

http://wiki.maemo.org/N950#N9.2F950_differences
*aka USB-OTG but w/o the official certification.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-02 at 15:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Apparently there were two versions of N950, I only have heard information on the latter version of N950 where there were loads of leaked photos and videos of.

The latter version of N950 comes with only 16GB internal memory capacity and supposedly 512MB RAM. Apart from that the internal features remain similar (without NFC) compared to N9. No wording on what sized SIM card would N950 take or if it had pentaband like N9 or only quadband like N900. However much of the truth to be told that N950 is unique, despite a few differences and that it is not to be sold publicly. Nobody could easily tell you had N950 in your hands and you were walking around in the public with it not unless they either researched about it and found out, apart from that N950 utilises the same case design as E7 which just makes people think you have E7 if they know nokia devices.

The two most crucial factor that splits N950 and N9 is mainly uniqueness and that N950 still has hardware keyboard. I for one love multitap way before touchscreen was even conceived and even with my N900 I still do away with my two thumbs tapping on the qwerty keyboard. No matter how many times I have tried to get used to typing on the screen with the onscreen keyboard I could not get used to the weird feeling from touching a warm screen. So moving from N900 to N9 would be yet another hill climb as I have to get used to working with virtual keyboard predominantly and hope that I would not lose the virtual keyboard or I'll be **** out of luck. Bluetooth keyboard isn't really a choice as that would mean that I need to carry it along with the device, etc.

If I could get my hands on a genuine N950 I'll be very happy but chances of obtaining one are very slim considering the fact that:
  • There's lots of scammers out there having heard N950 is not for the general public.
  • N950 is a rare device.
  • People whom were entitled to the device are not permitted to sell them as noted by jalyst. Its part of the disclosure which owners must abide to.
  • People whom own N950 would most likely never want to sell it or give it away because its an unique device if its not for the aforementioned point.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
I think n9 is better because my n950 is always complaining about low memory (ram). It also gets scratched more easily, and thanks to the hwkb it is more fragile.
It takes normal sized sim and it's not pentaband. I don't know about the n9 having a better screen, I heard this one is more "black" and they are both gorilla glass.
The look on my friend's faces when they see "not for sale - developer device" stamped on the back is priceless though.

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
N950 has a led screen while n9 has amoled with nokias whateverthehell sunblock thing over it, iirc.

May or may not be true.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
I think n9 is better because my n950 is always complaining about low memory (ram). It also gets scratched more easily, and thanks to the hwkb it is more fragile.
It takes normal sized sim and it's not pentaband. I don't know about the n9 having a better screen, I heard this one is more "black" and they are both gorilla glass.
The look on my friend's faces when they see "not for sale - developer device" stamped on the back is priceless though.
Both devices have 1GB of RAM.
You sure about the pentaband thing?
The N950 isn't gorilla glass.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
hmmm
I think you're right, top says I have 911352k used, half is going to cache. It seems to run out pretty quick but our firmware is loading extra stuff by default and maybe that's why.
I assumed it's not pentaband because I can't get 3G on rogers (850/1900 MHz) with it, seems same as n900.
I didn't scratch the screen yet, it's not gorilla glass? Uh oh...

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2011-10-17 at 21:27.

It is absolutely pentaband. I currently use it on Rogers with no issues at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
weird, maybe because i have data roaming disabled it didn't appear to get 3G when it's on that network.
I just went to the network selection screen and it shows Bell, Telus, WIND, Mobilicity all are "3G".

Thus proving that it is pentaband, by picking up networks in 850/900/1700/1900/2100MHz ranges.

Bell and Telus are 3G on 850MHz, Rogers is 850MHz and 1900MHz in some random areas, and WIND and Moblicity are 1700MHz d/s and 2100MHz u/s.

The N950 is pentaband.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post: