I thought I'd let you guys know that the My-MeeGo Harmattan Software Catalog now includes 480 apps for the Nokia N9 & N950. At the moment it is the largest and most complete Harmattan software directory, including apps from all sources: the Nokia (Ovi) Store, individual projects, Nokia Developer projects, etc. All apps have descriptions, screenshots, download links, and are divided into (hopefully) clear and logical categories.

I know that the design itsn't perfect (it's as old as My-Symbian, i.e. 12 years) but design and functionality improvements are on their way. It's just that I preferred to spend the last couple of months on adding as much software as possible rather than making the site look pretty. Despite the design, being the largest existing Nokia N9 software index, I hope that the site can be useful to all N9 (and N950) owners.

Please rate and comment on the apps you download - developers will surely appreciate your votes and feedback...

http://My-MeeGo.com/software/

--
Best regards,
Michal Jerz
My-MeeGo.com -- My-Maemo.com

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to My-Maemo.com For This Useful Post:
Thank you for your software catalog. This is the most comprehensive and useful software repository for N9 apps online. Much better than Ovi store which is flooded with many useless RSS feed apps.

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
Yes, why oh why did the Nokia store go for this awful policy of letting people submit all manner of rubbish?

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
anyone get landscapeenabler to work

Originally Posted by noetus View Post
Yes, why oh why did the Nokia store go for this awful policy of letting people submit all manner of rubbish?
Most probably to be able to say that there are XXX thousand apps and YYY million downloads, ZZZ times more than in the Apple AppStore or Android market

But it is really A PAIN to use the Ovi store with all that junk literally filling it up. Especially the "Newest" list is almost useless, because all new releases almost instantly get mixed up with all those "Ovi Store Wizard"-made RSS feeds.

It also looks that new releases are listed/sorted based on the id number. This means that if someone submits an app to Ovi and its approval takes several days, when finally approved the app appears on a location corresponding with the time of submission, not approval, i.e. way down the list. It sometimes takes scrolling 20-30 pages to find an app that has just been published...

On the contrary, updating an app takes it to the top of the list, so many developers log in and change just one character in the description, an icon, or a screenshot, every couple of days to get their app listed again as new...

Fortunately, my catalog excludes all those RSS-based "apps", so it's much easier to browse for new releases.

The only problem at the moment is that direct links to files from the Ovi store don't seem to work in the built-in web browser of the N9/N950 - it opens the Ovi store client and shows a message that "this item is no longer available". It works fine in desktop browsers and also in Opera and Firefox on the phone. The workaround I am planning to do is to check the browser's user agent and in case of N9's standard browser redirect to a corresponding page in the Ovi store rather than directly to the file.

anyone get landscapeenabler to work
It worked fine on previous N950 firmware releases, but on PR1.1 and on the current N9 firmware it no longer works.

--
Best regards,
Michal Jerz
My-MeeGo.com -- My-Maemo.com

The Following User Says Thank You to My-Maemo.com For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
How can we get restricted apps in our country? I know there is some script for the N900 to "sniff" the store, but can't find it. May be the same method will work on our N9?

my-meego.com site is great but looks ugly, am glad that you do have plan to redesign the site and make it more pretty, my suggestion for you is to make it as simple as possible, more screen shot is needed!

you can take some tips from n9-apps.com

Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
How can we get restricted apps in our country? I know there is some script for the N900 to "sniff" the store, but can't find it. May be the same method will work on our N9?
The simplest way to access software restricted to some country is to use any of the free proxy servers, located in a country which an app you want to get is restricted to... Just type "free proxy" in Google and you'll find a lot of them.

This works for freeware. In case of commercial software, I will not offer any suggestions as I don't support piracy. And even if you wanted to get it legally using a proxy, during the payment process you'd still have to indicate your true country...

my-meego.com site is great but looks ugly
Well, as I said, I spent last 3 months on adding content, rather than playing with the design. So maybe it isn't pretty, but you can find there nearly 500 apps (probably almost all there exists), rather than 20 or 30. I guess it all depends on your preferences - whether you prefer if something looks good, or if the content is rich. I guess the main purpose of the site is to get software, not admire its look

But of course I want to make it as nice as possible so I'll work on some improvements soon. But content will always go first, then the look.

Last edited by My-Maemo.com; 2011-10-28 at 17:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to My-Maemo.com For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by noetus View Post
cant be as bad as the apple store

Originally Posted by My-Maemo.com View Post

Well, as I said, I spent last 3 months on adding content, rather than playing with the design. So maybe it isn't pretty, but you can find there nearly 500 apps (probably almost all there exists), rather than 20 or 30. I guess it all depends on your preferences - whether you prefer if something looks good, or if the content is rich. I guess the main purpose of the site is to get software, not admire its look
I agree, content is more important than looking pretty. The inundated-with-useless-apps Ovi store may discourage programmers from developing for N9 as their apps will get little visibility so I direct them to your site to have a look at what's there and what's not and to give them assurance that their apps won't be lost in garbage.