Active Topics

Hi folks!

I bought myself an N9 the other day and love the integration it allows with all kinds of services. I'm having a slight issue however, with SIP (provider www.fonet.dk) as for some reason incoming calls are never connected. Outgoing work just fine (connects, and is online), but incoming never ring and go straight to the answering machine.

I usually (before my N9) have a Grandstream VoIP adapter setup to work with my provider and this works just fine.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and have a solution for this? Does it reside with the provider or the N9, and any idea as to how I go about diagnosing this fault?

I've tried modifying the different settings one by one to rule out what it could be, but this hasn't helped me get it work .

br,

Kasper

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
you read this thread, might be some handy tips there
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80505

Hey jalyst,

Thanks for your input!

I actually started reading that thread through and then thought that didn't quite seem to be exactly the problem that I'm having. Incoming calls _never_ work. But I shall try looking through it later today when I have time.

If anyone else has any ideas as to why it isn't working - if it might be provider related, then I'd love a response.

br.

VOIP is very dependent on upload speeds of your network. The more stable your connection the better VOIP/SIP reception you get. If you're on a WiFi, QOS makes a lot of sense. If you're on a 3.5G network, it all depeds on your Telecom company and your current location.

Just a few hours ago, I received a call on my GV account on HSDPA+ network, and I got very clear reception. Unfortunately, the SIP settings on the N9 (or even the Nokia E Series for that matter) has limited settings that we can tweak, unlike a stand alone gateway (i.e. SPA3102, PAP2T)... Bottom line as with any SIP/VOIP setup, everything is dependent on ones connection speed's priority.

Originally Posted by BlinkThinks View Post
VOIP is very dependent on upload speeds of your network. The more stable your connection the better VOIP/SIP reception you get. If you're on a WiFi, QOS makes a lot of sense. If you're on a 3.5G network, it all depeds on your Telecom company and your current location.

Just a few hours ago, I received a call on my GV account on HSDPA+ network, and I got very clear reception. Unfortunately, the SIP settings on the N9 (or even the Nokia E Series for that matter) has limited settings that we can tweak, unlike a stand alone gateway (i.e. SPA3102, PAP2T)... Bottom line as with any SIP/VOIP setup, everything is dependent on ones connection speed's priority.
Hiya.

Does this have any influence on not receiving incoming calls at all?

Yes. VOIP is dependent on latency and your connection's ping time rates.

Originally Posted by BlinkThinks View Post
Yes. VOIP is dependent on latency and your connection's ping time rates.
Yeah.. connection quality is, but not whether or not my phone actually realises I'm receiving an incoming call?

I'm connected via WiFi, for what it's worth.

Actually it's all about the quality of your connection...

May I ask if you have had experience setting up SIP/VOIP on another device. Do you have another SIP capable device where you can try your GV credentials? If it works on that other device and not your N9 then there must be something wrong with your n9. If it doesn't work for both, then your WiFi isn't prioritizing your VOIP. (i.e. If you're connected on a wifi network that's also serving a client who's using the network heavily while someone's trying to call your VOIP number, chances are, the call will not get through, or even if it does, you'll get a choppy reception/delayed voice or worse, drop calls.).

Last edited by BlinkThinks; 2011-12-07 at 19:52.

I just tried my N9 SIP incoming call, it worked well.
please make sure you register your SIP account( online) in stable network first, like WIFI, and try it again.
Or you firewall or NAT failed to find your N9 when incoming call.

Hola.

I've been testing it some more and as it turns out it works within (incoming calls) the first minute or so, and then it just doesn't work. So it's as if the keep alive function doesn't work. But I'll try looking into it with my SIP provider as this seems to be an issue on their end if other SIP providers seem to work.

Kasper