Posts: 95 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ London, UK
Ok, so I read the thread about people scratching their screens and realised I had to revise my impression of Gorilla Glass being impervious to scratching. I'm now thinking that maybe a screen protector would be a good investment - but I'm not sure which one to go for. On my N900 (and iPhone as well as the BB Bold I had before) I always used Martin Fields protectors and was very happy with them; sturdy, invisible, reusable and didn't affect the feel of the screen much (they are made from a glass like material). However, because of the curved glass on the N9, a rigid protector like the MF won't work very well, and indeed I see that the ones they provide are actually smaller than the screen (i.e. they don't cover the curved bits).

I've found one option which looks promising, the InvisibleShield but would like to hear what the rest of you use before I go ahead. Screen protectors are a pain to attach correctly and I want to get it right first time... Does anyone here use the IS protectors? Or some other brand? How badly do they affect a capacitive screen (all my other touch screens have been resistive)? Any input much appreciated!

Lomax

P.S. I see that the Lumia 800 version of the IS protectors is about 20% cheaper, no fair!

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
InvisShield is among the best, I did lots of research at one point, & settled on it for N900.
Opinions can vary widely depending on tastes, but it's definitely up there, at least for resistive.
I'm sure they'll be decent for capacitive too....

It makes sense that the N9 IS is more expensive than the L800 IS in the UK.
The L800 is far more readily available, it prolly already has a much larger user base.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-13 at 08:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
It makes sense that the N9 IS is more expensive than the L800 IS in the UK.
Are they not identical though?

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Might be just me, I hate InvisibleSheild.
I put it on my N900 and took it off the next day.
However, if you need to perfectly conform to the curveof the glass, that's probably the only choice.
It's basically the same thing that make the invisible bra on my Mazda MX-5 Miata.

The problem is the orange peel look and feel. Upon closer look, you will see it's not actually smooth, like orange peel. And it doesn't feel smooth either, you will feel some resistance when swiping on it.

Now, I only use those $1 one or $2 for 3 from ebay shipped from Hong Kong or China. Perfectly smooth and feel good. Cheap and can replace it often. Yes, they are not soft, so it will not conform to the edge.

The one I have doesn't cover all the way to the left and right end (it can't because of the curve of all 4 sides). It extends to the end of the top and bottom, but you can see it doesn't stick to the screen at both ends. It isn't a big deal to me, it gives me perfect smooth feeling. When I put on another one next time, I will trim top and bottom a little. With the OEM case, actually, the edge of the screen won't get scratched easily as they are below the case edge.

The Following User Says Thank You to mcdull For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
Are they not identical though?
I imagine there's some subtle differences.

Originally Posted by mcdull View Post
you will feel some resistance when swiping on it
Not acceptable. Thanks for the warning, trusty old Martin Fields it is!

Edit:

As you can see here, the MF N9 protector doesn't cover the curved edges, I hope that won't be too much of a problem.

Last edited by Lomax; 2012-01-13 at 10:58.

Hmm, can't say my experience has been same for IS for N900.
I tried several others at the time & settled on it...
Oh well as I said, everyone's tastes/experiences are different.

As you can see here, the MF N9 protector doesn't cover the curved edges, I hope that won't be too much of a problem.
That's awfully lazy of them...
Hope they eventually release a revised version.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-13 at 12:05.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
That's awfully lazy of them...
Hope they eventually release a revised version.
If you had tried one of them you'd know why, they're basically a thin sheet of glass with a sticky back. This is what makes the MF protectors superior (and pricey) but of course means that curved shapes are not possible. They are also reusable and easy to wash if you get lint stuck to them.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Not acceptable. Thanks for the warning, trusty old Martin Fields it is!

Edit:

The cutting is same as mine, just mine is about US$1 each from ebay, so about 1.5mm at the top and bottom will not stick to the surface.

I also got a hard back case from ebay and they threw in a screen protector too. It has a cut out at the upper-right corner, I guess that's for the proximity sensor.

The Following User Says Thank You to mcdull For This Useful Post:
If you had tried one of them you'd know why, they're basically a thin sheet of glass with a sticky back. This is what makes the MF protectors superior (and pricey) but of course means that curved shapes are not possible. They are also reusable and easy to wash if you get lint stuck to them.
I'm sure I did at one point, all so long ago...