Just stumbled across a Kickstarter page for a new open source Android OS based games console that looks pretty sweet!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...o-game-console

Specs are not too shabby either

• Tegra3 quad-core processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 8GB of internal flash storage
  • HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
  • WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
  • Bluetooth LE 4.0
  • USB 2.0 (one)
  • Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
  • Android 4.0
Gotta say, that I don't have much use for Android myself and the only reason that I have ever bothered to install it on my phones & TouchPad was for its games. If this takes off, then I could see this taking the place of the rather dormant Wii on my TV stand, lol.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Hmmm interesting... But I think the trusty n900 is a pretty good gaming system to..
You can recompile the kernel with USB joypad support (I did it with a twin pad on one USB) and using hen with a special USB +power cable.. Easy... Plug it into the tv and it's a console!

I think it's very under spec'ed myself.. But enough for retro gaming!!

The Following User Says Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
With $75 nowadays, one can buy the (arguably) best gaming console of all time.

PS2

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
With $75 nowadays, one can buy the (arguably) best gaming console of all time.

PS2
$75 is still too much for an almost 10-year old system!
Any modern PC can emulate a PS2 and run all games pretty fine, with the massive exception of Ace Combat 5.

Of course, there is the alternative - buying a used first-gen PS3, and playing PS2 games on that. Makes a fine Linux machine, too.

Would be interesting, if it would work like Open Pandora (i.e. powered by real linux distro). Android? One can use phone/tablet for that.

And, something with Nvidia Tegra can be hardly called "Open".

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I should have added that I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to consoles (currently got 75machines) lol.

I have always wondered why the mobile game devs and the big companies don't make a bigger push to sell the bigger games on in their stores. This machine would help to bring mobile gaming in to the homes for many people and maybe even draw many folks away from the dumbed down re-hash of a 10yr internet Flash game 23432 of the month scene to something more traditional?

As for the n900, yes I have played many games on the big screen and enjoy it, but having to map the controllers for so many games can become a little tedious. Still fun, this has also reminded me that I need to pick up Zelda OoT again.

On the PS3 hurrian, They removed the Linux OS feature some time ago sadly, not too sure if there has been any hacks recently mind.

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
On the PS3 hurrian, They removed the Linux OS feature some time ago sadly, not too sure if there has been any hacks recently mind.
He did say a used FIRST gen, and you could always just not update it, who cares about Sony's updates :P

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Get on firmware 3.55, patch the hypervisor, rehash eEID to a Debug unit, install debug firmware with patched hypervisor, install Linux and play.

The vanishingly few >3.55 games worth playing have been patched for 3.55, and if it hasn't, you can simply update to 4.${WHATEVER_SONY_IS_ON}, play, and reinstall your patched 3.55 Debug firmware to get your favorite game, Linux back.

Linux on it doesn't have accelerated 2D/3D support yet, but it works just fine as a server of sorts, or a big living room web browser, or both.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2012-07-13 at 23:37.

I think the concept is a true winner. Here's why:

- $99 is very very affordable for the "poor people" and an impulse buy
- The hardware looks beautiful (console +controller)
- ALL GAMES (in the hundreds) will be FREE to play.
only pay to unlock levels/features which cost below $10 (eg/ in game purchases)
- Indie/Individual developers and groups can make direct games (Dev friendly)
- FREE internet support, unlike Xbox Live
- Emulators support (Psx, N64, GBA, SNES, Sega... perhaps DSi and Dreamcast in the future)
- Android its much better than Linux distro's for home entertainment (ui, app support etc etc)
- Allows custom firmware

For the knowledgable person, and the average consumer this is a GREAT buy.
Unfortunately it won't succeed because:
- Availability (very low)
- Marketing (non-existant)
- Game support (possibly never arrives from reputable sources, fear of loss of IP)
- Pretty weak (Tegra3 on Android can only handle as much, Wii U/Xbox/PS4 likely to blow it out of water and they're just around the corner)
- No other incentive to buy, just a shiny "hackers" box with free content
... ... ....
If this thing was running something else like Steam/OnLive, had widerspread availability and marketing. I could see it compete hard with the Wii and Wii U, maybe even Xbox, but not with PS3 or PC gamers.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
$75 is still too much for an almost 10-year old system
it is not all about the age of the machine.
it's all about gameplay

if this android based console delivers masterpieces with ultimate gaming experience similar to let's say... Shadow of the colosus, okami, GoW, GT 4, Manhunt, Tekken 5, ico, MGS 3 etc etc I will agree with you.

ps: The PS2 is close to 12 years old. Still worths every penny

ps2: some ,even older consoles, go for higher prices. neo geo cd for example.

oh.. and real videogaming enthusiasts do not enjoy playing on emulators. The real thing is always sweeter.that's why i have 3 psx's, 2 snes's and 2 N64's

Last edited by HELLASISGREECE; 2012-07-14 at 06:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:

Tags
android console, ouya gaming