I have a really good idea. I hope someone can help me realize it even though I can't do programming. I hope someone can develope a browser that only requires two-finger gestures. e.g. the function of going forward or backward can be carried out by one thumb pressing on the screen while thumb on the other hand is sliding toward the opposite edge of the screen.

eg

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
I don't know how to program either, but this sounds like a good idea, anyone would like to look forward to develop this feature?

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
It sorta-kinda worked this way in Fremantle, but was removed to make way for the Swipe UI and multitouch zooming.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Sri Lanka
That is a good idea.. But N900 has resistive touchscreen. We can't use multitouch functions like in capacitive touchscreen..

Last edited by SUMEDHE5DMS; 2012-08-09 at 02:49. Reason: Grammer mistake.

Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
This is not possible on N900's resistive touch screen or at least, impractical. N9 already uses the same gestures in every browser to zoom in and out.

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

Originally Posted by SUMEDHE5DMS View Post
That is a good idea.. But N900 has resistive touchscreen. We can't use multitouch functions like in capacitive touchscreen..
Presumably mizak is referring to the N9 rather than the N900, as it's posted in the MeeGo / Harmattan section. As you say, the N900 screen is not able to understand multiple points of contact but perhaps something similar could be implemented by over-riding the proximity sensor function - so one thumb covering the proximity sensor while the other thumb swipes on the screen.

But yeah, on Harmattan the same gesture already zooms. I'm not sure if there's any straightforward way to over-ride the default zoom handling on Harmattan. One of the CSSU guys might know

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

what you are suggesting is almost exactly the same as mouse gestures I have been using in Opera for about 5 years!

Press left mouse button + right button to go forward and right + left to go backwards!

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
btw Two finger swiping left/right is the default on Safari on a Macbook for history back/forward.

I would think that would work ok on the N9 if someone could implement it.

I would rather see the end of two finger gestures, well after using the n900, it just seems a little awkward tbh.

What I would like to see though is an mix of the WebOS browser swipe navigation where they split the swipe panel areas for different functions. this could be implemented like so on the n9.
Attached Images

As my signature says, it has to remain usable with single handed gestures. The N9 is slim enough, that even pinch to zoom can be handled with one hand. Fantastic phone.

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.