Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Hi,

I was browsing through some forums and sites and saw this:http://userbase.kde.org/Kontact_Touch/Harmattan

Basically, Kontact Touch is a full PIM for Harmattan including Contacts, Mail, Notes, Tasks.

From my early tests it is quite usable on the N9 and for those with a n950 this is really useful as the default orientation of the apps are landscape.

The installation instructions are in the link given. I use open mode and had a failed installation initially due to aegis but once entered "export AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGN=com.nokia.maemo" and repeated it everything worked well.

From what I have experienced so far is that the Mail app can be closed and the daemon still runs in the background allowing push mail to be received.

It would be good for further users to post about their experiences too.

Some Screenshots:

the last 6 icons are installed by Kontact Touch

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-09-12 at 08:00.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Looks interesting, does it integrate with the default contacts/calendar db or use it's own data store? Also how do notifications work?

I had a quick look and found this video, but it still doesn't seem to answer my questions, hopefully you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xehdxu8fVY

Love the "useless" folder you have!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by nbedford View Post
Looks interesting, does it integrate with the default contacts/calendar db or use it's own data store? Also how do notifications work?
And how about syncing? I recon e-mail will work just fine with IMAP, but will the N9's built-in SyncML Buteo platform be enough? Or might syncevolution come to help?

Originally Posted by nbedford View Post

I had a quick look and found this video, but it still doesn't seem to answer my questions, hopefully you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xehdxu8fVY

From what I have played with it so far is that it uses its own store...That's why if you read thru' the installation instructions, you'll see them asking you to move the cache to MyDocs instead of filling up the userfs partition...

Will test notifications and report back...

For me, it is a worthy replacement for my long emails...The default client is good for one-liners but long professional emails are better managed by this client...

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
Love the "useless" folder you have!
I have surprised 'cause I have the same folder with FB icon and other in it
The only difference is my folder was named in russian.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kroll For This Useful Post:
Just posting here for anyone ever interested in this:

- The Mail app checks for mail on intervals that are user-defined

- Notifications are the issue; if your screen is locked you get nothing...If the app is minimized to multi-task screen you will see on the right of your screen if in portrait or top if in portrait a regular dialog box informing of a new notification.

- If the app is closed and not in multi-task screen, akonadi still runs in the background but you have to open the app to check on new notifications...

All in all, its something for which you must have quite patience for and only if developed further could be an alternative solution for fenix...

On another note, I saw they have an implementation for the n900 too but couldn't find any thread about it around here...Maybe in the next few days when I have some time I'll try it on the n900 if the installation links/files are still up and compare the experience using the hwkb of the n900 vs the vkb on the n9 (quite sure the n900 would be easier to use on but then modest though also not perfect isn't as bad as fenix at times)...

It would be nice to have someone else use this and post their experiences too; would help to confirm the above and maybe find something I couldn't discover from my brief usage with it...

N.B. I had never used Kontact Touch for more than a week due to the above but that was >1 month ago and had re-flashed during that time so now tried it on again but the patience it requires puts me off...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 446 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Austria/Germany
hey guys,

i tried the apps but i didn't really like them

now i want to remove everything again but i can't seem to get rid of "kdepim-runtime"

"apt-get remove kdepim-runtime" gives me the following..

cannot write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
ldconfig: can't create temporary cache file /etc/ld.so.cache

in addition i cannot install anything else because this package apparently needs to be removed first?!

Last edited by mcbook; 2012-12-02 at 17:24.

mcbook,

It would be better if you posted the whole log here...Also before that as you can see it can't create the temp cache file so why not touch /etc/ld.so.cache first then do the apt-get purge?

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Austria/Germany
~ # apt-get remove kdepim-runtime
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
kdepim-runtime
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 4,641kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
(Reading database ... 56929 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing kdepim-runtime ...
ldconfig: Can't create temporary cache file /etc/ld.so.cache~: Permission denied
dpkg: error processing kdepim-runtime (--remove):
subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
kdepim-runtime
Updating desktop entries... Done
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
~ #
i tried to delete /etc/ld.so.cache but that changed nothing...