Active Topics

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Hello everybody, I just want to check for this if it is a hardware problem or software before I reflash, because I am afraid if the reflash will lead to stranger problems.. I was transferring some files to my N9, nothing dangerous or anything, Wazapp and a few stuff, well, I disconnected it and it was 52% but when I disconnected it, it still shows as charging, thought it would go back to normal in a few minutes, in the mean time I went to visit some relatives, reached the place while my N9 still showing charging, I thought it was pretty weird, went for a reboot, maybe it would fix it, actually, it skips the NITDroid Dual Boot (To note that I have NITDroid installed) and goes to boot to MeeGo.. Well, boot successful, but after it, it shows "%" instead of the number of percentage and it tells me "recharge battery" then I went to settings to check battery when it was 0%, weird thing that the device doesn't turn off, went to terminal to check battery status, it shows that the battery is %52 still, but on the statusbar it's fully empty.. Well, wanted to take some screenshots of the terminal output when I realize that the tracker is messed up too.. User-dirs.dirs is 100% fine.. Well.. Anyone can help please? Thanks

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Last edited by AMD; 2012-09-18 at 13:52.

Anyone please? I'm freaking out of what's happening..

I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
1- Please learn what a full stop is
2- Dont double post like that, pretty sure some meego guys will help without the need to ask twice

Good luck

./sifo
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Costa Rica
Originally Posted by AMD View Post
Anyone please? I'm freaking out of what's happening..
Software trouble!! better if you reflash it!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Thorvic777 For This Useful Post:
If you don't want to do a reflash, consider forcing a re-install of the original Nokia packages ("apt-get --reinstall install ..." -- of course this can be problematic when packages were incepted and have a higher security priority than the ones supplied by Nokia; in that situation, you can probably still download them by using -d and then re-incepting them).

Using this technique, I've managed to fix an N900 repeatedly that was otherwise hopelessly screwed up; just make sure root access via ssh is always one of the first things you enable on the phone. With the right configuration, you can sometimes even fix the phone when the UI is completely broken (this doesn't apply as much to the N9 of course, due to MALF).

As for which packages need to be re-installed -- I have never been systematic enough to create a specific list, but usually found the culprits by re-installing packages that seemed UI-related. You can also often find out all related package names with a search query like "apt-cache showpkg <package-name>".

The downside of this procedure is that all customizations are lost (but then again, that is often the cause of your problems to begin with). Furthermore, this only remains a possibility as long as Nokia maintains their online repository.

Last edited by zszabo; 2012-09-14 at 19:44.

Originally Posted by zszabo View Post
If you don't want to do a reflash, consider forcing a re-install of the original Nokia packages ("apt-get --reinstall install ..." -- of course this can be problematic when packages were incepted and have a higher security priority than the ones supplied by Nokia; in that situation, you can probably still download them by using -d and then re-incepting them).

Using this technique, I've managed to fix an N900 repeatedly that was otherwise hopelessly screwed up; just make sure root access via ssh is always one of the first things you enable on the phone. With the right configuration, you can sometimes even fix the phone when the UI is completely broken (this doesn't apply as much to the N9 of course, due to MALF).

As for which packages need to be re-installed -- I have never been systematic enough to create a specific list, but usually found the culprits by re-installing packages that seemed UI-related. You can also often find out all related package names with a search query like "apt-cache showpkg <package-name>".

The downside of this procedure is that all customizations are lost (but then again, that is often the cause of your problems to begin with).
I do not understand one word.. Well.. I just wanna know is this a software or hardware issue? Will a reflash fix it or lead to further problems?

Originally Posted by sifo View Post
1- Please learn what a full stop is
2- Dont double post like that, pretty sure some meego guys will help without the need to ask twice

Good luck

./sifo
Thanks man, it's just that the prob is too weird.. And yeah full stops is my problem in English essays usually, I forget about them

Originally Posted by AMD View Post
I do not understand one word.. Well.. I just wanna know is this a software or hardware issue? Will a reflash fix it or lead to further problems?
That's not an easy assessment to make (unless someone has dealt with specifically this situation before) -- but more often than not, I've found such cases to be software-related.

To get more detailed information on the battery, charge level, etc. you can always run "lshal | grep batt" from the command line. Look at the battery.reporting.current line, plug the phone in for 30 minutes (using a known, working, dumb charger -- i.e. don't rely on USB, etc.), then run the command again and see if it has changed. If it shows a value up to the maximum (shown on battery.reporting.design line) and it changes in that 30 minute interval, chances are, it's software-related.

Note, to enable command line input, the easiest way is to enable developer mode.

Last edited by zszabo; 2012-09-14 at 19:56.

Originally Posted by zszabo View Post
That's not an easy assessment to make (unless someone has dealt with specifically this situation before) -- but more often than not, I've found such cases to be software-related.

To get more detailed information on the battery, charge level, etc. you can always run "lshal | grep batt" from the command line. Look at the battery.reporting.current line, plug the phone in for 30 minutes (using a known, working, dumb charger -- i.e. don't rely on USB, etc.), then run the command again and see if it has changed. If it shows a value up to the maximum (shown on battery.reporting.design line) and it changes in that 30 minute interval, chances are, it's software-related.

Note, to enable command line input, the easiest way is to enable developer mode.
That's what I did when I said "went to terminal to check battery status, it shows that the battery is %52 still, but on the statusbar it's fully empty" And for the developer mode thingy, how do you think I installed NITDroid? Or whatever hacks?

Leeeeeeeet's say it's a software issue, what's the fix then?