Active Topics

Hello guys,

I have a N900 since it was released, but recently I bought a new cellphone and I want to do something with my N900...

I've seen a lot of videos on YouTube of some guys runing Windows XP on the device, does anyone have more info regarding how to achieve this?

Or maybe how to install Android 4.2 ...

Its really useless to me and I want to put something more up to date on it instead of the dead maemo5 which is complete garbage for me.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to DaAntwan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 502 | Thanked: 4,475 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Finland
Hi, DaAntwan!

1. Install MyPaint
2. Draw and paint with it.
3. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50811

Apple iPad Air 3 & iPad mini 5 | Apple Pencil
MacBook Pro 13-inch | Intuos Pro S, Cintiq 27QHD
iPhone XS Max | Main phone
Nokia N900 x2 | OC 1,15 GHz | MyPaint 0.9.1 for Fremantle | Tone's Brush Set X

www.tonikasurinen.fi
www.facebook.com/tonikasurinenartist
www.instagram.com/tonikasurinenartist

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Creativetone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Or you can make it your portable gaming console and enjoy tons of classic 8bit/16/32bit/64bit games

from nes till N64

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 270 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Bosnia and Herzegovina
Or you can give it to someone who would know what to do with dead maemo5

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dzano For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ India
Originally Posted by DaAntwan View Post
Hello guys,

I have a N900 since it was released, but recently I bought a new cellphone and I want to do something with my N900...

I've seen a lot of videos on YouTube of some guys runing Windows XP on the device, does anyone have more info regarding how to achieve this?

Or maybe how to install Android 4.2 ...

Its really useless to me and I want to put something more up to date on it instead of the dead maemo5 which is complete garbage for me.

Thanks
If you really want "up to date" (which i understand you mean new apps and games) then why not buy a new phone like galaxy s4/3 or any mid or high range android phone? since the big bottleneck here is n900's hardware not maemo 5 , and no you cannot use android 4.2 on n900, only android 2.3(nitdroid n12umay) is usable, again because of old and limited hardware.

Last edited by Sohil876; 2013-03-27 at 07:35. Reason: Correction

The Following User Says Thank You to Sohil876 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Where r u from?? M intrested in yr dead os

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
N900 matches well with "Nokia MD-310 Wireless Music Receiver"

Thanks to Wifi networking it streams music from the NAS or internet radio over bluetooth (via MD-310) to the living room hifi chain.

The N900 internet radio buffers the audio stream more efficient than the Symbian or even a dedicated Airstream 10 radio (the 2 latter experience buffer problems and drop outs).

Yes this matters when the internet connection isn't all that fast (cheap VNPT ADSL in Vietnam)

This way the N900 basically became remote control for the HiFi chain as I have lost my JVC original but thanks to Pierogi and the integrated N900 IR transmitter I can controle the volume also when not steaming from the N900 directly.

It is a luxury given to touch screen control a 90's surround amplifier and even be able to surf on the remote.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2013-03-27 at 06:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sohil876 View Post
If you really want "up to date" (which i understand you mean new apps and games) then why not buy a new phone like galaxy s4/3 or any mid or high range android phone? since the big bottleneck here is n900's hardware not maemo 5 , and no you cannot use android 4.2 on n900, only android 2.3(nitdroid n12umay) is usable, again because of old and limited hardware.

I have a Asus PadFone 2... but I don't want to use my N900 for something fun since I know its a very flexible device.

And yes, Maemo5 is very dead... its dead since it was realeased. This crap that Nokia pulled cost them both their name and tons of customers and this is why the are at rock bottom running windows phone right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaAntwan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
Or you can make it your portable gaming console and enjoy tons of classic 8bit/16/32bit/64bit games

from nes till N64
Playing on that keypad is extremely frustrating, I could not play any NES or otehr games at all because of this...

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ India
Originally Posted by DaAntwan View Post
I have a Asus PadFone 2... but I don't want to use my N900 for something fun since I know its a very flexible device.

And yes, Maemo5 is very dead... its dead since it was realeased. This crap that Nokia pulled cost them both their name and tons of customers and this is why the are at rock bottom running windows phone right now.
Well, i think it depends on how you look at it, because of close bits its very difficult to keep maemo up to date, then there is obsolete hardware as a road blocker too, and then there is outdated sdk which is a big road blocker too i guess, but still you can see this community is active and its running on its own now!, outdated os and dead os are two diffrent things, n900/maemo may not have official support but it still have this great community. This community and its developers are what made the maemo 5 so awesome/intresting and n900 flexible, so as long as this community is active i see maemo as still alive and kicking . I still find maemo 5 better than any current mobile os out there... Each to their own i guess. Btw you want another os to try on your n900, then why not give Arch linux ARM (ALARM) on n900 a try? Its a project by skry in Alternatives section, its still "work in progress" but its usable and intresting.

Last edited by Sohil876; 2013-03-27 at 12:33.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sohil876 For This Useful Post: