Hi, a friend of mine gave me a Nokia N9 with broken screen (totally broken, no interaction and all black, visible crack on the inside). I had already set up SSH access for automatic backup, and I can ssh into it after it boots and autoconnects to my network.

I do not intend to fix it the screen, as I am looking towards Sailfish at this point.

Now, I though it try to do as I did with my old N900:
Put mpd on it
and connect some loudspeakers.

So my questions are:
  • How would I go about to add the required repos, and build environment on the N9, using ONLY the terminal. Is it possible at all?
  • Any special things I should consider, before I change settings and reboot (as I cannot interact with the screen)
  • Would it be possible to activate VNC from the command line?
  • Are there any other nice use cases. All tips appreciated!

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by judhaz View Post
Hi, a friend of mine gave me a Nokia N9 with broken screen (totally broken, no interaction and all black, visible crack on the inside). I had already set up SSH access for automatic backup, and I can ssh into it after it boots and autoconnects to my network.

I do not intend to fix it the screen, as I am looking towards Sailfish at this point.

Now, I though it try to do as I did with my old N900:
Put mpd on it
and connect some loudspeakers.

So my questions are:
  • How would I go about to add the required repos, and build environment on the N9, using ONLY the terminal. Is it possible at all?
  • Any special things I should consider, before I change settings and reboot (as I cannot interact with the screen)
  • Would it be possible to activate VNC from the command line?
  • Are there any other nice use cases. All tips appreciated!
1.) Well, I rarely use anything else than terminal to handle repos. Just add them on /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and run apt-get update.
2.) Why not... I don't think I have tried it but there shouldn't be anything preventing it. (BTW, you can connect to your device with -X option, set the DISPLAY env and run your GUI on your PC...)
3.) I'd say you can do just about everything you need from shell

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Well, I got stuck at the following:
Code:
~ # apt-get install build-essential g++ libc-dev libc6
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting libc6-dev instead of libc-dev
libc6 is already the newest version.
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.10-0maemo18.1+0m6) but 2.10-0maemo20+0m7 is to be installed
E: Broken packages
This is with the following repo added:
Code:
~ # cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/harmattan-dev.list 
deb http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/ harmattan/sdk free non-free
Any ideas on how to overcome this one?

EDIT:
Okay, I found this thread, and understand that for PR1.3 Nokia basically sqrewed us.

I will follow Compiling & packaging on MeeGo Harmattan device by rcolistete now.

Last edited by judhaz; 2013-05-22 at 18:13.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
can you use some cable to plug it to your tv?

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by judhaz View Post
[*] Would it be possible to activate VNC from the command line?
If x11vnc is available, then yes.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
My tip, Fix the screen.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
I ditched the mpd plan since I might as well let mpd run on another server, and setup rtp via pulseaudio. All I need to do then is to configure the N9 to listen to multicast and play that stream out on the audio out. Should work. Anybody tried this?

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Also if you feel adventurous you could edit /var/lib/dpkg/status by hand and change libc6 dependency of libc6-dev to version 2.10-0maemo20+0m7. That should satisfy those dependencies. Keep in mind tho that newer lib6c might or might not be backwards compatible with this older dev package.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post: