Active Topics

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Quite often, when sending emails via a 'non-home' ISP, emails do not
get forwarded, emails disappear into the ether. My N900 is permanently connected to my home server (on network activation) using foward and reverse tunnels. I use these tunnels for all sorts of media streaming etc., I would like to send my emails via my server.
I know 'modest' is the N900 client. I have 'tsocks' installed.
I have all the relevent ports configued correctly To do this on my netbook, I just run 'tsocks evolution' & all my emails go via my server.
I am looking for the equivalent setup on my N900. I think what I want is
modest to start as 'tsocks modest' but I am not sure where/how to implement this....

Help much appreciated...

I would think that the easiest way would be to create a specific port forwarding for SMTP and then configure modest to use that forwarded port for outgoing SMTP.

The Following User Says Thank You to rfeese For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
You may try something like that from terminal in N900:
Code:
ssh -L localsmtpport:remotemailserver:remotesmtpport home.at.myServer
Of course you need a ssh server on your home running.
This should forward the selected port (to be configured in modest for one specific account) to the mail server and its smtp port via your home server.

Do not close the connection (terminal), as long as it is open it will work. Try out and if successful configure this in /etc/event.d/...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-07-02 at 18:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
[QUOTE=..................This should forward the selected port (to be configured in modest for one specific account) to the mail server and its smtp port via your home server.
[/QUOTE]

Just how do you do that?
On modest, if I go in to edit account settings and try to edit 'use connection-specific SMTP Servers', it will not accept localhost:9999 (my forwarded port is 9999). The field seems ro want an smtp type address.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by macey View Post
Just how do you do that?
On modest, if I go in to edit account settings and try to edit 'use connection-specific SMTP Servers', it will not accept localhost:9999 (my forwarded port is 9999). The field seems ro want an smtp type address.
In "outgoing server (SMTP)" type: localhost (or 127.0.0.1), and in port: 9999

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
In "outgoing server (SMTP)" type: localhost (or 127.0.0.1), and in port: 9999
Please refer to earlier post, outgoing server (SMTP) will not accept localhost type addresses. In any case, if it did, how would I authenticate to my mail server, which is smtp.btinternet.com?
I need to authenticate to smtp.btintenet.com VIA localhost:9999 don't I? Can be on a connection by connection basis but not a requirement.

Do not use "connection specific" smtp server configuration (if I understood you correctly), but direct configuration entries in modest.
Use 127.0,0.1 (localhost may not work) and 9999.

When you connect to your home ssh via
ssh -L 9999:smtp.btinternet.com:25 your.Server.ssh
then the local port 9999 will be forwarded to extern IP (smtp.btinternet.com) and extern port number 25. Of course this must be open accessible on your home server.

Authentication will just occur as normal, only forwarded/transported via your home server.

I did not do that, so this is just to be proven.
Do you have a SSH server on your home?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
............Authentication will just occur as normal, only forwarded/transported via your home server.

I did not do that, so this is just to be proven.
Do you have a SSH server on your home?
That makes sense! Thanks. Yes, I do run a server. A raspberry Pi.
Thanks again, confident that this will work...
I will let you know.

Yes, I do run a server. A raspberry Pi.
Ah uh, sounds like you know what we are talking about :D

I will let you know.
Please do so.

If it works, you may also try to configure this only for "specific connections". Never used that so I am/was unsure...
Later on you may also try to fetch mails via
-R 110:pop.btinternet.com:9090 home.ssh
and configuring modest to fetch from 127.0.0.1 and port 9090 ...

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-07-03 at 16:42. Reason: d*mn smiley : p :p

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
At last!.
Works a treat.
Thank you very much!