Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Well today my HTC 8s, JUST SITTING ON THE TABLE suddenly rang with the notification tone, turned on the screen and got an error on the screen: "SIM Card is MISSING or INVALID".

Okay, f**k this s*it, I bought this brand new phone with 2 years warranty and 1 year paid insurance, somebody have to fix it for me. I called Orange Care, they told me to call the HTC Support and so I did. I checked every step they told me, and still nothing, same error (switched the phone on/off, remove - reinsert SIM), so they finally they told me to go to the closest Orange Store (opened today) for advanced diagnosis.

Got there, they installed the diagnosis software, checked it, and checked the logs and the only error was a missing SIM card (fhew, the hardware is okay) but the SIM was "DEMAGNETIZED" (that's how they call it) and they showed me that my phone would read other SIM cards but not that one, that one IS DEAD!

Okay, I got home, found an Orange SIM, chopped it down to the size, and guess what, the SIM was found (not active anymore) but found...! Now I will have to go to the central Orange store tomorrow and have a fight with those guise to recover my number and my minutes/options active on that SIM (it was 2 weeks old!)

My question now, why do SIM cards get "DEMAGNETIZED"?

Last edited by TheoX; 2013-07-15 at 16:36.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Not demagnetized but maybe just broken? Can happen and they should just replace the sim.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Yes, nothing to do with magnetism, this
Maybe it was just this shop-rep using some slang expression for "dead" or "broken"

Originally Posted by petur View Post
Not demagnetized but maybe just broken? Can happen and they should just replace the sim.
Well, now after I've been researching this problem with various friends of mine, I heard another variant of this: I'ts not "DEMAGNETIZED" as the people from the Orange Store told me, it's just FRIED, the chip inside the SIM is fried or dead or whatever. I insert the SIM in another phone, and still the same "INSERT SIM" message (a nokia 1XXX I think, it's a simple phone with just a flashlight).

Read about this on XDA, and almost never was the fault of the phone (my phone never overheated, never drained battery more then normal or stuff like that), so the questions still remain... WHY? WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN?!

Yes, nothing to do with magnetism, this
Maybe it was just this shop-rep using some slang expression for "dead" or "broken"
Correct, that's what a friend of mine working for Vodafone said to me.

Now here's his variant of the story: The SIM is like a fuse for the antenna, so if there are some frequency fluctuations the SIM card is the first one that gets fried just to protect the GSM Driver (chips or whatever). He told me that once a customer came with a FRIED (but the good kind of frying, that the SIM was physically burnt, with visible marks of burning) SIM card, they replaced the SIM and the phone worked beautifully for 2 more years flawlessly until the customer came to get a new phone.

Now still the questions remain, why this RANDOM breakdowns of the cards?

Last edited by TheoX; 2013-07-14 at 22:12.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by TheoX View Post
Now still the questions remain, why this RANDOM breakdowns of the cards?
Electronics just dies, that's a fact of life. You were just hit by bad luck there.

Take simcards, for example. The things are produced by the millions, and they are done CHEAP. The mfg process is tuned so that acceptable amount of cards pass the tests, and also the life expectancy of the cards is not that long, thy are designed to last for a couple of years. Once in a while there's going to be a manufacturing defect that hits somebody and now it was just your bad luck to get one.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Electronics just dies, that's a fact of life. You were just hit by bad luck there.

Take simcards, for example. The things are produced by the millions, and they are done CHEAP. The mfg process is tuned so that acceptable amount of cards pass the tests, and also the life expectancy of the cards is not that long, thy are designed to last for a couple of years. Once in a while there's going to be a manufacturing defect that hits somebody and now it was just your bad luck to get one.
Thank you for this answer, I hope replacing the SIM will solve this problem (it was a PRE-PAY SIM), but I am asking all these questions because when I saw that message on the screen I began raging very hard knowing something like this killed my N900, a message like this broke a wonderful device, so that's why I was all these questions (ok it's one question, but still unanswered officially) and I wanted to go tomorrow to the store AND SEND BACK this device for a BRAND NEW ONE! But now, with your explanation I chilled down and started thinking that it's not a hardware problem, it's excluded (you know tests might be wrong, so I think it's excluded) to have a hardware problem...

Also, I want to think this is just my superstition, but this happened right after I got a new very powerful router (a 2.4Ghz N router with 3 X 9dbi antenna) and this occurred right after I fired up that monster, but I want to think this is is just my imagination and that router did not burst an EMP shockwave (played and made some EMP's - small ones - in my life) when it was powered up...

Also, I want to think this is just my superstition, but this happened right after I got a new very powerful router (a 2.4Ghz N router with 3 X 9dbi antenna) and this occurred right after I fired up that monster, but I want to think this is is just my imagination and that router did not burst an EMP shockwave (played and made some EMP's - small ones - in my life) when it was powered up...
I'm fairly sure your router did not fry your card, the power levels of typical WLAN routers are so small (and the antenna radiation pattern is non-directional) that it cannot affect even sensitive electronics destrutively.

For EMP you need a lot more energy.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I'm fairly sure your router did not fry your card, the power levels of typical WLAN routers are so small (and the antenna radiation pattern is non-directional) that it cannot affect even sensitive electronics destrutively.

For EMP you need a lot more energy.
Yeah, thank you for clearing out this (for EMP's I always used capacitors from camera flashes, and I learned to do those from a tutorial on youtube - yeah silly - when I guy was filming this, fired up the EMP, and burnt his camera form a quite good range - meaning that the EMP did it's job!)

Long live the internet!

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
....speaking of 'demagnetizing', hotel / parking lot access cards can get demagnetized, by placing them in very close proximity to your cell.
(of course the magnetic swipe type only.)

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Now here's his variant of the story: The SIM is like a fuse for the antenna, so if there are some frequency fluctuations the SIM card is the first one that gets fried just to protect the GSM Driver (chips or whatever). He told me that once a customer came with a FRIED (but the good kind of frying, that the SIM was physically burnt, with visible marks of burning) SIM card, they replaced the SIM and the phone worked beautifully for 2 more years flawlessly until the customer came to get a new phone.
That is 100% b*llsh*t, the GSM controller just talks to the SIM with a certain protocol, like it would talk to a memory chip or another controller. The SIM is nowhere near the TX/RX signals.

Of course, if some spike hits the antenna or powersupply (like an EMP), it will fry the SIM. But also the GSM controller and other stuff.

Just take it from me, the electronics in the SIM just died, no need to look for an explanation.