Is this even possible? by means of using a separate client? i mean its easy to log into an O2.com account for 10 free sms, but are there any other free alternatives without having to log into a web page?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Sure it's possible. Theoretically at least.

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
If you install Pidgin, you can SMS from AIM by putting "+" and the country code in front of the entire number. In the US, sending an IM from your N770/N800 to "+12025551212" would SMS that person at "202 555 1212". My wife and I SMS quite a bit from my N800.

I'm not familiar with the UK country code or whether oscar.aol.com is acting as an SMS gateway in the UK.

Having a native SMS client to your phone might be better, but I haven't seen any yet. While I've coded in Python for Linux servers and for the Danger Hiptop (T-Mobile Sidekick), I haven't touched it yet on the N800. I'm curious how the APIs are.

Last edited by promethh; 2007-08-30 at 16:29. Reason: edited for clarification (AIM will act as SMS gateway in US, not sure if UK)

There's gizmosms.com that is web based, free, and doesn't require an account. Just open the page, enter the info and press Send.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ah, I'll bet it's possible from Googletalk via Gtalktovoip, then, as well.

Good answers guys.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
I'd just like to see something like PC Suite--connects to my phone via Bluetooth, lets me archive stuff, lets me compose MMS/SMS and send directly through same mobile. I really don't understand why it's not developed by now considering it's Nokia and all.

Originally Posted by namtastic View Post
I'd just like to see something like PC Suite--connects to my phone via Bluetooth, lets me archive stuff, lets me compose MMS/SMS and send directly through same mobile. I really don't understand why it's not developed by now considering it's Nokia and all.
Considering I have a Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard) running Windows Mobile 6, I have yet to get my Nokia N800 to recognize the 8125 as a phone. I do the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) under WM6, but N800 still doesn't like it.

The Nokia N800 does, however, play nice with my wife's Palm Treo 650.

Until I have the time to figure out how to make the N800 play nice with my phone, I doubt I'll be investing much time looking for or coding an SMS client. (MMS is a pain, phones and carriers don't implement well, I can't get the same MMS to look the same way twice between my 8125 and my wife's Treo)

Thanks people ! im gonna give gizmosms a try

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by promethh View Post
I'm not familiar with the UK country code or whether oscar.aol.com is acting as an SMS gateway in the UK.
+44

and no, I don't think it does (although there are several free ones on the web that do)

Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
+44

and no, I don't think it does (although there are several free ones on the web that do)
Being in the US, I have oscar.aol.com as my AIM gateway under Pidgin and Trillian. I've SMSed from AIM to multiple carriers in the US and in the Philippines. I don't know anyone in the UK, so haven't been able to test.

Have you tried sending an IM (via AIM) to +44 + number? Until tested, I'm curious to see if it'll work or people are ruling it out because they haven't tested it.