I hope the title is accurate. I have not seen anything on this website like this, so I hope I’m not stealing anyone’s thunder. I wrote this tutorial for those of us who have only Windows systems and don't want to install a version of Linux just to flash the internet tablet. But be warned now, this tutorial will have you using a distro of Linux, yet you will not be installing it. If you are scared about doing this, I assure you that your computer will not be modified during its visit to the Linux world. (You may even take out the hard drive if you'd like.) This tutorial is written according to the way I flashed my tablet. I'm not positive that it will work for everyone, but hopefully it will help someone.

1. Now, first things first, of course. You will need:
¨¨ - a thumb drive or thumb disk or jump drive or jump disk or flash drive or flash disk, or whatever it's called these days. For sake of this tutorial, I will be calling it a 'thumbdrive'. You will need about 60.2 MB of free space on it.
- a blank CD.
- your Nokia770 with its USB cable.
- a computer with ISO burning capabilities and internet access with downloading capabilities and 512 MB of RAM.
- maybe a printed copy of this tutorial, since you can't have this up the whole time (unless you have two computers.)

2. Next you need to get the Flasher Utility here. It's not very big, about 40 KB. I used the one that looks like this:
- flasher-3.0 40236 flasher utility (Linux on Intel x86) for the Nokia N800 and 770

3. Now, you need to download the OS Software here. After putting in my MAC addy and accepting the agreement, I downloaded the last file. It's about 60.1 MB worth. It looked like this:
- SU-18_2006SE_3.2006.49-2_PR_F5_MR0_ARM.bin 63044309 OS 2006 Edition version 3.2006.492 Bugfix update #2.

For easier typing later, I recommend changing the name after you download it. I will now refer to it as '2006OS.bin'

4. After downloading these two files, put them on your thumbdrive. Take out your thumbdrive.

5. Here comes probably the longest part. Downloading the non-installing Linux. It's called BackTrack 2. I think it's supposed to be used for WEP cracking or something similar, but that's not what I used it for. Download BackTrack 2 here.

6. Once that part is done, you'll need to use some ISO burning software to burn it to a CD. (I have recently just found that some folks have put it on a thumbdrive and booted from there, but right now that's beyond me; I'll stick with the CD.) If you need some ISO burning software, I suspect that there is some on download.com and definitely Google.

7. Once all that is said and burned, it's time to restart your computer with the BackTrack 2 CD in. (Of course, your computer needs to have its boot order setup correctly: Floppy/USB, CD-ROM, HDD; but it should already be right.) As it starts, you might see the following:
ISOLINUX 3.36 2007-02-10 Copyright (C) 1994-2007 H. Peter Anvin
boot: _

There will be a blinking cursor, making you think you should input something. Don't. Just wait. It's thinking.

8. Eventually, a bunch of words will pass by, there will be a pretty '<<back|track 2' background. Finally, when it's finished loading, you will see a place to type that look like this:
bt login: _

9. So type
Code:
root
and press Enter.

10. Now type
Code:
toor
for the password and press Enter.

11. Now you should have a standard Linux text-console:
bt ~ # _

12. Type
Code:
cd ../mnt
and press Enter.

13. Type
Code:
mkdir thumbdrive
and press Enter.

14. Plug in your thumbdrive.

15. Type
Code:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/thumbdrive
and press Enter. (Note: there is a space between 'sda1' and '/mnt')

16. Type
Code:
cd thumbdrive
and press Enter.

Now, if you have two or more USB ports, you can skip to step 21. But if you have just one USB port, you need to continue in order.

17. Type
Code:
cp flasher-3.0 /root/Desktop
and press Enter. (Note: there is a space between '3.0' and '/root'. Also, be aware that 'Desktop' starts with a capital 'D')

18. Type
Code:
cp 2006OS.bin /root/Desktop
and press Enter. (This one may take a few minutes to respond.)

19. Type
Code:
cd ../../root/Desktop
and press Enter.

20. Type
Code:
umount /dev/sda1 /mnt/thumbdrive
and press Enter. (It might tell you it's now not mounted) Pull out the thumbdrive.

21. Type
Code:
./flasher-3.0 -F 2006OS.bin -f -R
and press Enter.

22. The computer will go through a few 'Image' lines, then say "Suitable USB device not found, waiting"

23. Plug in the Nokia770, which currently should be turned off. You may need to plug in USB connections first, and then the charger, but I'm not sure. Either way should work, just get it connected.

24. Sit back a few minutes while your tablet is destroyed by a fresh operating system.

25. Now, I can't recall exactly what should happen next, but after the computer is finished loading the fresh OS, it should take you back to the place you were before. Type 'reboot' and press Enter. The CD will be ejected before everything closes, so take it out within the 6 secs it lets you. In a few seconds/minutes, your Windows system will be back up, just the way you remember it, as well as your Nokia770 when you first pulled it out of the box.

I hope this helps someone

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackFoxx3000 For This Useful Post:
Why not use the official GUI for windows?

http://www.nokiausa.com/A4410232

^ Indeed, why not?

Because,

1. The site you point to doesn't sound like it will format and renew the tablet; especially if the tablet is stuck in an infinite boot loop, which was my problem in the first place. It just says it updates it. Although I may be wrong.....

2. I never found that page. Every Google thing I could find talked about flashing with Linux but never telling me how, even when I did something like ' "nokia 770" flash windows '

3. Some people may have Windows 98 and not have
* Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or newer
* Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or newer
* Microsoft .NET 2.0 framework

I apologize for not making this more clear in the beginning. I'm pretty much a n00b to Linux, as I just got the tablet about a week ago.

You have to make everything so damned complicated, eh?

1. Yes, it is a Flasher, it does the EXACT same thing as the linux one.
2. http://www.google.com/search?q=Updat...ient=firefox-a Look at the VERY FIRST result
3. ... if you can't afford to get XP and your not smart enough to install linux... How can you afford to buy something obscure like an internet tablet and know how to use it?

I'm sorry. I don't know any better... should I have this whole thread deleted?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
1. Yes, it is a Flasher, it does the EXACT same thing as the linux one.
Not at all. What the windows flasher cannot do is to reflash just kernel or initfs or rootfs separately, enable r&d or usb host mode and other advanced stuff. True that average users don't need those features but still saying that it does the same EXACT thing is big underestimation of linux flasher :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by BlackFoxx3000 View Post
I'm sorry. I don't know any better... should I have this whole thread deleted?
No, it is a good and informative one. There are really much worse threads here so don't worry :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

No, it is a good and informative one. There are really much worse threads here so don't worry :-)
Okay, thx.