I am trying to use my 770 at work on our WIFI connection (non-secured with WEP / WAP / etc...). The 770 sees the connection and for all intense and purposes seems to connect to it.

However, when I try to access the internet using the browser it says "Network error". Now, my assumption is that our wireless network is just like our regular LAN where you have to sign onto it first before you have access to the internet.

How do I do this using the 770?

Tony

Control
connections
connections
Wlan "wifi" - > far
far
extended (on the right of down)
IP addresses of
ok
work on completely

In the network connection...there is an advance setting. If you got static IP you have to assign it manually. And wireless you have to enter the exact wep key. If you specify hex and you entered in ascii mode it looks like it took it but it won't work. You have to pick the right settings.

Thanks for the replies but it is a non-secure connection (no Wep, little lock is open). However, I did call the LAN and they said (and I confirmed with a laptop with built in WIFI) that once you get connected via WIFI and try to navigate to a WEB site (i.e. type in www.yahoo.com) that you are re-directed to a login page. On the login page you enter a password and then you are allowed access to the web and it connects you to the web page you typed in.

Getting redirected is the issue, I am not being automatically redirected to that webpage? I have automatic redirection setup on Opera but it still is not redirecting me. I tried to manually type in the page I was redirected to on the laptop but it cannot find it?

Tony

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Victor, NY
Ask the lan desk if you have to or can specify a proxy server. Odds are they're using one and that might just do the trick. You may not have noticed the proxy setup on the notebook because IE can automatically detect a proxy server if set up that way.

You know I was at barnes and nobles and omni hotel...it redirects me to a login page for a paid service...not that I ever use a paid service...just testing out the wifi on the 770

I have sent an email to the LAN Department asking about a proxy server. I will let you know what I find out.

Tony

I think I have this problem too - I can connect to the wireless network using WEP (i.e. the "W" connection icon stays fixed), but can't access any web pages. In the setup info for Mac computers, it says:

"Ensure that the Proxy Server requires a password box is ticked, and enter your username and password."

I've never been asked for a username/password when trying to access a site. Will be very interested to see how far you get with your proxy, Tony.

Cheers,
- Scribe.

Well the network guys told me that they don't use a proxy and then I got frustrated and stopped pursuing it after that.

However, if you log on to it using a laptop, it takes about 30 seconds then automatically redirects you to another URL where you have to input a password to gain access. The problem with the 770 is that it never re-directed me (even though I have it setup to allow automatic redirection).

Now I read in another thread (I believe on another forum) where several people were talking about the exact same issue. They said you needed to enter the IP address manually because for some reason the router was not detecting the 770 and therefore not automatically assigning it an IP.

Tony

Originally Posted by myet01
Thanks for the replies but it is a non-secure connection (no Wep, little lock is open). However, I did call the LAN and they said (and I confirmed with a laptop with built in WIFI) that once you get connected via WIFI and try to navigate to a WEB site (i.e. type in www.yahoo.com) that you are re-directed to a login page. On the login page you enter a password and then you are allowed access to the web and it connects you to the web page you typed in.

Getting redirected is the issue, I am not being automatically redirected to that webpage? I have automatic redirection setup on Opera but it still is not redirecting me. I tried to manually type in the page I was redirected to on the laptop but it cannot find it?

Tony
I have this same setup at work, so that guests can log on. Before I updated the firmware on the 770, I could not login successfully. I also had occasional problems getting redirected, but I was able to solve those by directing the browser to a webpage other than my homepage.

After the firmware update, I am now also able to login and surf normally. I do still have some redirection issues, but I can deal with them as I did before.

I did not change any settings on the 770.