Active Topics

I use my 770 strictly for using websites. None of the 'native apps' that I have installed perform any better than the webapps that I use. I don't use the RSS, Email, Music, or Video playing functions. It makes sense to me to do away with this 'home screen' and 'app launcher' and just have a 'web browser'.

I'm sure it would save RAM if all I had was this:

* battery meter
* wifi / bluetooth connection manager
* volume control
* web browser

Is there any work on this front? I see people are porting KDE and other stuff to it, but what about a minimalist's dream: X with a full screen web browser (with a big red 'restart' button)? Anyone else with me on this?

I would use this thing so much more if I didn't have to launch the web browser. If there was a way to disable the 'close' button on the top of the web browser, and set it to always fullscreen mode, we would almost be there.

why don't you just start up the wb, go in fullscreen mode and leave it like that ?

The web browser crashes pretty often (even with flash disabled) enough that I learned not to leave it running. Without the hildonization UI, home screen, and the rest of the junk, I could probably free up 16mb and the browser would run faster. Does it make sense to have an 'internet tablet' that you have to wait 10 seconds just to do anything with?

I really appreciate the spirit of this post. However, I wouldn't do away with the native apps (yet!). the N800 is very dynamic and eliminating native apps would stunt its potential. Instead, MUCH MORE development of the communication/web apps and a pause on entertainment apps is what i would suggest.
*better browser (mozilla isn't that good, just better than opera)
*mozilla add-ons
*better integration with google (buttons, documents, etc)
*java
*skype + video
*figure out the certificate issues
*easier VPN abilities
i'm sure there are others. the point, i think you are making, is to really ramp up the web apps/web capabilities. NOTE: Archos just went global with their wrecks. the wifi/umpc/ market is growing....

The Following User Says Thank You to slider For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zeez View Post
why don't you just start up the wb, go in fullscreen mode and leave it like that ?
If you leave the browser open on a page that's running javascript, will it run the battery down significantly faster than if the browser is closed?

Originally Posted by paulh View Post
If you leave the browser open on a page that's running javascript, will it run the battery down significantly faster than if the browser is closed?
Unless the javascript is actually doing something repeatedly at a set interval, I don't see why it would have any effect on battery.

Originally Posted by slider View Post
I really appreciate the spirit of this post. However, I wouldn't do away with the native apps (yet!). the N800 is very dynamic and eliminating native apps would stunt its potential. Instead, MUCH MORE development of the communication/web apps and a pause on entertainment apps is what i would suggest.
*better browser (mozilla isn't that good, just better than opera)
*mozilla add-ons
*better integration with google (buttons, documents, etc)
*java
*skype + video
*figure out the certificate issues
*easier VPN abilities
i'm sure there are others. the point, i think you are making, is to really ramp up the web apps/web capabilities. NOTE: Archos just went global with their wrecks. the wifi/umpc/ market is growing....
Let's see. First, the OP has a 770, not 800. Second, the point the OP is making--in the OP's words--is:

"I use my 770 strictly for using websites...I don't use the RSS, Email, Music, or Video playing functions. It makes sense to me to do away with this 'home screen' and 'app launcher' and just have a 'web browser'....what about a minimalist's dream: X with a full screen web browser (with a big red 'restart' button)? Anyone else with me on this?

I would use this thing so much more if I didn't have to launch the web browser."

Can't get much clearer than this. The OP doesn't want to ramp up web apps or eliminate apps for other users, just wants a browser-only config for his use.

So: is it possible?

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
You can replace in the init.d the maemo-launcher by the web browser and you ll get only the web browser. When it crash it ll be relaunched automatically.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I can't imagine not using the N800 as a book reader and music player and mapper and game player -- I'm a devotee of Nako and solitaire. I want my N800 to do more, not less. Most of the significant browsing speed issues I encounter have to do with the Internet connection -- the local Times Warner Cable connection in the LA area is crappy (whereas the San Diego version of the same is excellent).

I use it often enough for media listening (and watching) that I often don't notice the Internet is down for ages after it goes out.

this subforum is for the 770, not the 800