The Following User Says Thank You to kingka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
It's only a prototype, but it's the first prototype I've actually wanted to own! I could really dig that device... and I suspect Joe Public would want it to.

Nokia really do trail in the design stakes, and the software stakes, and the direct sales stakes (try buying the official case or replacement stylus, or dealing with their repair centers or the help desk to fix a software issue...) oh sh1t.... where do I get off this Nokia train?

now wait for all the nokia fanboys to jump in and say how this isn't a competitive device because the n800 is targeting another demographic and so therefor nokio pwns all blah blah. kinda like how the n800 pwns ipod touch and all that jazz. anyways, unless nokia comes out with another mobile internet device. my love for nokia is over. and i almost bought the n800 not 2 long ago... sad

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Surely Nokia is in the best position to bring out a MID based on Moorestown and Mobile Ubuntu?

Why would they stick with the Arm processor and their own port of Debian once this stuff is available?

I like the look of that prototype, but I would be very happy with the existing N770/N800 form factor coupled with this processor and software.

All I really want is a fast (enough) N*** that will handle all Web 2.0 stuff including FF 3, Flash 9, GWT and Google Gears.

Anyway, it looks like pretty soon somebody will have the device that I want. If not Nokia, then somebody else. Hopefully there will be quite a lot of choice by this time next year.

Don.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by kingka View Post
now wait for all the nokia fanboys to jump in and say how this isn't a competitive device because the n800 is targeting another demographic and so therefor nokio pwns all blah blah. kinda like how the n800 pwns ipod touch and all that jazz. anyways, unless nokia comes out with another mobile internet device. my love for nokia is over. and i almost bought the n800 not 2 long ago... sad
Actually, it's not a competitive device because it doesn't exist. And it isn't even scheduled to be sold until 2009/2010. That's a lifetime in the mobile device industry. But yes, the N800 has warts and it's hard to be in love with someone with warts.

It's a bit wrong in it's form. Why did they make the screen so wide? But looks nice.

Lets wait what the next Internettablet by Nokia will be like.

But if this will become the new thing I hope it will be more open than the IPhone. If I can't sync it with my PC(Linux) at home I won't buy it.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
And it isn't even scheduled to be sold until 2009/2010.
Ah, yes you are right, Moorestown will not be out until 2009/2010 which is an aeon from now.

But what about Silverthorne/Menlow? This is due out in about 6 months. How does its power and space requirements compare to an Arm?

Could this be used in a MID next year?

What about AMD?

Don.

AMD got nothing? They have their Geode and their Fusion stuff. But is this intended for Embedded devices?

I'm just a bit worried that Intel will become the Microsoft in the Chipindustry...

Originally Posted by Noneus View Post
It's a bit wrong in it's form. Why did they make the screen so wide? But looks nice.
I suspect that it is a 1024x600 screen which would be pretty nice for use when browsing. The Ubuntu Mobile specs mention this screen size as well as 800x480.