Active Topics

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
Is there Any RSS Reader App. that allows Offline Browsing.
I am new to RSS - first time to use them. Seems like RSS reader that comes with 770 can't do this. What apps can? I have read all the posts, but can't find an answer.
Thank you if you know of one, or if you can tell me it doesn't exist. Or if I have to learn Google reader.

I read this link:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ht=rss+offline
but I couldn't believe that what the OP was saying was correct - about how its supposed to work offline.

thank you for any help.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Install Claws-Mail and the RSSyl plugin. Then set the RSSyl directory to sync to your IT.

(Honestly, I've never tried this, but it should work.)

-T.

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Install Claws-Mail and the RSSyl plugin. Then set the RSSyl directory to sync to your IT.

(Honestly, I've never tried this, but it should work.)

-T.
Thank you, this is a start. I am getting ideas now how to do this.
Does "Snyc to your IT" means install Claws-mail on my PC and download RSS and them "sync" them over to my IT? I hope to do this all on my IT if possible.

This is all done on your IT and works fairly well.. (I use it myself, can't find any better solution)

1. Download and install the free Jaiku client for the N800/N770 called Mauku.

2. Create a Jaiku account.

3. Add all your RSS feeds into Jaiku.

Now all your feeds will be auto-updated within Mauku.

Whoops....that's more for updating online...nevermind.

Last edited by iball; 2007-09-22 at 01:15.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
I read RSS "offline" on the subway all the time... It's the main reason why I used my 770 and kept the IT long enough to want to upgrade to the N800.

If you do a RSS Reader refresh, you will cache all of the newest items (and sadly only the newest -- grr) locally, but *only * the RSS items. If you read a lot of full-content feeds (like Engadget) this works pretty well. But yes, it won't fetch the linked page so it's not great for reading the NYTimes feeds or the CNN feeds where the RSS descriptions are uber-short.

You'll want to switch to offline mode while you're reading them since on the 770 it won't cache images, only text, and that connection dialog will open again and again. On the N800 they did add an image cache which makes it that much better, but if you sync a lot of feeds (like me) you'll see that connection dialog soon enough.

Really, this is what I do 80% of the time on my tablet. Reading RSS on the subway = AOK.

I usually do that with the built-in RSS reader in my Nokia N800. Before leaving I just press the refresh button in the RSS reader and that's all. The only missing thing is you don't get any image from the feeds, because are loaded on demand.

Another solution is take all your RSS feeds and generate a HTML output and be loaded in the Nokia before leaving...

The Following User Says Thank You to biquillo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I'm still thinkin' the Claws method may be the best one (and, you can have it save everything to the MMC of your choice.

-T.

Originally Posted by namtastic View Post
I read RSS "offline" on the subway all the time...

If you read a lot of full-content feeds (like Engadget) this works pretty well. But yes, it won't fetch the linked page so it's not great for reading the NYTimes feeds or the CNN feeds where the RSS descriptions are uber-short.
Thanks, this info is very helpful. SO one solution is to find "full-content feeds". The RSS feeds I looked at were too small to be worth reading. I will try this.
Can you recommend any good RSS feeds? Any one else can recommend? I am less into news. Tech or anything interesting would be good. I will try engadget. ty.
{I will try Claws-mail too.)

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by biquillo View Post
The only missing thing is you don't get any image from the feeds, because are loaded on demand.
Actually, that's what boosting the image cache in the reader will get ya.

But yes, the Claws solution is probably better because of the item-removal issue -- the reader doesn't have any control for storing items (vs. merely caching them) so an item may only stick around for one or two refreshes before the app dumps them. Which is why I refresh manually.

I don't need to hold onto 60+ news items per feed when on the go, so the builtin reader has been fine for me, but YMMV.