maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] cuteTube - A feature-rich YouTube client (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65854)

Bingley Joe 2010-11-19 16:28

Re: [Announce] cuteTube - A feature-rich YouTube client

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 877971)
I'll be posting an updated .deb soon, with a couple of fixes, so I'll host it using dropbox then.

This app is really nicely thought out -- great work!

Question: Are you aware of xVideoServiceThief

It's an open-source (GPL) app that allows for viewing/downloading video clips from a huge variety of different video sites (76 websites and increasing all the time)..

I know cuteTube is strictly a YouTube viewer at the moment, but it would be FANTASTIC to have the functionality of xVST in an app with such an elegant design as yours.

Just something to ponder :)

marxian 2010-11-19 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by WereCatf (Post 877605)
That's odd, they should be supported just fine. Atleast whenever I play those 480p videos on MediaBox's youtube client they work just fine. You sure you got all the extra codecs installed?

I've now added playback/download options for 480p and (for those who are brave enough to try) 720p. 480p seems to be working for me now (in mediaplayer, still slow in mplayer).

The updated .deb will be available later this evening.

Nokia 5700 2010-11-19 18:31

This is the best Youtube-app i have ever seen!
Thank you so much! :D
But i have a lil' problem... the video buffers all the time... is this just me? (At least with default player...)
I do have a bad connection. (Not broadband...)

Without that, i see that it can be rotated to portrait without any issues

I have a suggestion for an improvement, though. Make the description-box scrollable. But try to only make it vertical, cuz horizontal scrolling is just annoying. (Line-break?) The rest of the UI is good, though.

gamerakel 2010-11-19 18:53

*wow im impressed.
fast, good interface! and perfect playback.
the best dude.

philh 2010-11-19 19:12

I installed it few hours back while still at work, it ran fine I just didn't try any videos as I was at work, then when I got home it won't start, just crashes, as was mentioned few posts above. I guess I'm waiting for next version? Other than that it looked great while it lasted :)

mich_er 2010-11-19 21:36

Hi, thanks for the wonderful application. Please may I ask you to try to add the possibility of sorting the results for relevance, upload date, view count or rating. I think this is an essential function for any youtube client.

Thanks again
mich_er

marxian 2010-11-19 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by mich_er (Post 878342)
Hi, thanks for the wonderful application. Please may I ask you to try to add the possibility of sorting the results for relevance, upload date, view count or rating. I think this is an essential function for any youtube client.

Thanks again
mich_er

I will add this option now. I'll put a selector button in the 'search' dialog enabling the user to choose how the results are sorted.

ejasmudar 2010-11-20 03:29

Thanks marxian, after the update, downloads now work without a hitch. Awesome smooth app!

rajil.s 2010-11-20 06:04

Unfortunately, I get an error while doing search:

Code:

/opt/cutetube/cutetube.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/cutetube/homewindow.py", line 190, in on_searchButton_clicked
    searchDialog = cutetubedialogs.SearchDialog(self)
  File "/opt/cutetube/cutetubedialogs.py", line 457, in __init__
    self.searchOrderButton = QMaemo5ValueButton("Order results by:", self)
NameError: global name 'QMaemo5ValueButton' is not defined

I did install all the PyQt packages using
Code:

apt-get install python2.5 python2.5-qt4-core pytho2.5-qt4-gui
Ah. It works now. Had to install
Code:

apt-get install python2.5-qt4-maemo5

bulelet 2010-11-20 06:10

why couldnt i be in this wagon.

this app still crashes on me.
i got it to start and got to the primary screen after that it doesnt repond

evan 2010-11-20 06:26

0.9.0-2 version with 'order results by' works very nicely here. If I were to ask for an addition, It would be to see the date published of the videos in the search results together with title,user and rating.

silbah 2010-11-20 08:12

The download link has a small problem. It has no extension (.deb) and is named Q30, instead of cutetube-xxx

But the file itself downloads ok.
Thanks.

silbah

zlatko 2010-11-20 08:27

@silbah
Why should the link itself have extension .deb? The link just points to the download directory. The file has correct name and extension.

anapospastos 2010-11-20 09:04

Great app and very functional but I ve got a little problem. I cant sign in to my youtube account. All of my data I ve inserted are correct, I cant understand why this happens.

Keep going dude:)

Sain 2010-11-20 09:25

I have been looking for decent youtube player since I got my N900...

cuteTube is by far the best! Thank you! Keep up the good work...

MJGibb 2010-11-20 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by anapospastos (Post 878611)
Great app and very functional but I ve got a little problem. I cant sign in to my youtube account. All of my data I ve inserted are correct, I cant understand why this happens.

Same issue for myself - also had a similar issue with Tweego - could be linked?

slender 2010-11-20 09:33

Really nice UI and it feels fluent! Good work!

Hmm. Downloaded it just and tried to download video.Video stays in download que pause and I donīt know how to make it resume/start downloading. (.edit Ohhhh...long touch popups menu and also upper menu...haaa, maybe download button (transparent) with start downloading action over video thumb when video is paused in downloading, pause button when downloading and when complete play overlay button for starting video locally. )

Also I think that even thought upper menu is probably the easiest way to add more buttons to "window" it still is bit confusing when upper menu buttons change from window to window. By easy I mean that if those buttons were in main view then you have to take care of rotating and how layout changes. Just enhancement request and little things but you asked for feedback ;) Overall this is by far very polished app what I have seen and itīs still not in devel repository. Just put it there :)

.edit
Description in video with letters Ä and Ö are scrambled.

..edit
btw is it possible to play videos with default media player engine by wrapping them inside app. Bit like in kmplayer. Maybe bit too much hassle and on the other hand IMO itīs nice that videos are opened in new window.

bigears5000 2010-11-20 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by philh (Post 878209)
I installed it few hours back while still at work, it ran fine I just didn't try any videos as I was at work, then when I got home it won't start, just crashes, as was mentioned few posts above. I guess I'm waiting for next version? Other than that it looked great while it lasted :)

I have the exact same problem. In fact, I have had a few of the problems posted on here. Installed fine, ran it, but couldn't sign in to youtube account. Then I couldn't download all videos I wanted. Now when I try and start the app, it just closes. Hope this gets sorted, because I have wanted an app like this for ages. Great app. Just need it working for everyone now.

taike_hk 2010-11-20 13:39

Hoping cuteTube can handle Unicode search such as Chinese and Japanese characters....

marxian 2010-11-20 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by slender (Post 878624)
Really nice UI and it feels fluent! Good work!

Hmm. Downloaded it just and tried to download video.Video stays in download que pause and I donīt know how to make it resume/start downloading. (.edit Ohhhh...long touch popups menu and also upper menu...haaa, maybe download button (transparent) with start downloading action over video thumb when video is paused in downloading, pause button when downloading and when complete play overlay button for starting video locally. )

You can choose whether or not downloads are started immediately in the settings. The default option is to queue them.

cuteTube searches the download folder for a matching file each time you play a video, so a previously downloaded video will be played using the local file, as long as you don't modify the filename.

I'm not totally happy with the user interface of the downloads window atm, so it will probably receive a few tweaks in the near future.

Quote:

Overall this is by far very polished app what I have seen and itīs still not in devel repository. Just put it there :)

I'm awaiting permission to upload to extras-devel. I will upload it as soon as I can. When I requested an invitation, I received this reply:

Hi,

thanks for your email (even if it was a complaint).

I am attending Meego Conference in Dublin this week. My replies might be substantially delayed.

If it's really really really urgent send me an SMS.
Stefano

Quote:

.edit
Description in video with letters Ä and Ö are scrambled.

I'm aware of the string en/decoding issues. I don't have much knowledge of this, so I need to do some research. I will fix it as soon as I can. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anapospastos (Post 878611)

I can't think of any logical reason why there should be any authentication issues. I removed my cuteTube.conf file and started over again, and I could add my accounts successfully. Do you use any unusual characters in your login details. I'm wondering if it's a string encoding issue.

killabluey 2010-11-20 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulelet (Post 877639)
does it matter whether you have US version or the global version?
i recently flashed my phone both emmc and firmware, i used the latest vanilla and pr1.3 US version in nokia repositories.

cutetube wont start with me, it just gives a blank screen then crashes

I had an almost identical problem, then I saw a post by marxian:
Code:

apt-get install python2.5 python2.5-qt4-core python2.5-qt4-gui
I flashed & formatted about 2 weeks ago, I know I never installed python since then, this worked for me.

Excellent app.:)

bulelet 2010-11-20 15:44

i cant play videos with more than 480x270.
i have extra decoders support installed.
any fix?

marxian 2010-11-20 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by killabluey (Post 878811)
I had an almost identical problem, then I saw a post by marxian:
Code:

apt-get install python2.5 python2.5-qt4-core python2.5-qt4-gui
I flashed & formatted about 2 weeks ago, I know I never installed python since then, this worked for me.

Excellent app.:)

I forgot about the qtmaemo5 module, so the code should be:

Code:

apt-get install python2.5 python2.5-qt4-core python2.5-qt4-gui python2.5-qt4-qtmaemo5
I'll make sure to have the correct dependency list when I upload to the repos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulelet (Post 878824)
i cant play videos with more than 480x270.
i have extra decoders support installed.
any fix?

cuteTube grabs the appropriate URL and passes it to the media player. I have verified that the correct URL is obtained, so any codec issues are outside the scope of cuteTube. I may write an internal media player for cuteTube, but until then I can't really help. Can anyone else report successful playback of 480p videos?

bulelet 2010-11-20 16:26

yea mine plays the videos with the same codec dependency BUT anything larger than 480x270 wont play

add: this happens throughout my phone, even with .flv videos

woussie 2010-11-20 16:45

Can someone tell me where the cuteTube.conf file is located? CuteTube worked perfectly for me, until i tried to enter my account info. Since then, the program crashes on startup...

This is what i get when starting from xterm:

Code:

$ /opt/cutetube/cutetube.py
  File "/opt/cutetube/cutetube.py", line 12, in <module>
    cuteTube = homewindow.HomeWindow()
  File "/opt/cutetube/homewindow.py", line 57, in __init__
    QMaemo5InformationBox.information(self, "Unable to sign in to your YouTube account")
NameError: global name 'QMaemo5InformationBox' is not defined

Any suggestions?

marxian 2010-11-20 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by woussie (Post 878861)
Can someone tell me where the cuteTube.conf file is located? CuteTube worked perfectly for me, until i tried to enter my account info. Since then, the program crashes on startup...

This is what i get when starting from xterm:

Code:

$ /opt/cutetube/cutetube.py
  File "/opt/cutetube/cutetube.py", line 12, in <module>
    cuteTube = homewindow.HomeWindow()
  File "/opt/cutetube/homewindow.py", line 57, in __init__
    QMaemo5InformationBox.information(self, "Unable to sign in to your YouTube account")
NameError: global name 'QMaemo5InformationBox' is not defined

Any suggestions?

Try:

Code:

apt-get install python2.5-qt4-qtmaemo5
That should solve it. :)

Hxen500 2010-11-20 17:01

for me 360p and 480p works on mplayer but not on default media player (gives media not supported error), i have extra decoders installed. is it possible to get them work in default player too?

bigears5000 2010-11-20 17:16

For me, the app. would start, then close. For some reason, I didn't have 'PyQt4 Full Install' installed. Just installed that and now it works. This app. is great. Just what I have needed for a good while. Loving the features especially the download button. Thanks marxian. You have made me very happy.

anapospastos 2010-11-20 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 878785)
I can't think of any logical reason why there should be any authentication issues. I removed my cuteTube.conf file and started over again, and I could add my accounts successfully. Do you use any unusual characters in your login details. I'm wondering if it's a string encoding issue.

There are no unsual characters in my login data. Can you point me the location of .conf to delete it and try again?

rajil.s 2010-11-20 17:23

@marxian

The 360 and 480p don't work for me too. I have the Extra decoders installed from the extras repo. Is it possible you are using Extra decoders from extras-devel?

marxian 2010-11-20 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by anapospastos (Post 878881)
There are no unsual characters in my login data. Can you point me the location of .conf to delete it and try again?

The config file is at /home/user/.config/Stuart Howarth/cuteTube.conf.

The organisation name from QSettings (my name) is used for the subfolder, rather than the application name (which would make more sense IMO).

EDIT:

Do you get an information banner saying that your login attempt was unsuccessful? If not, you may need to install the qtmaemo5 module, by entering:

Code:

apt-get install python2.5-qt4-qtmaemo5

marxian 2010-11-20 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajil.s (Post 878883)
@marxian

The 360 and 480p don't work for me too. I have the Extra decoders installed from the extras repo. Is it possible you are using Extra decoders from extras-devel?

I actually have the same problem. I stated earlier that 480p was working for me, but I was wrong (I was playing 480x270, when I believed it was the 480p version). cuteTube simply passes the URL to the chosen media player (the resulting URL is the same that can be obtained using the youtube-dl script), so any playback issues are beyond the scope of cuteTube atm.

This is why I originally omitted the option to play the higher quality streams (I knew they would not work in the default media player). I provided the options upon request. IMO 480x270 is OK on a 3.5" screen, but I would also like the option for higher quality, performance permitting. I may write an internal media player to:
  • Provide a more seamless playback experience.
  • Allow for some YouTube specific controls to be provided during playback (e.g. rate video)
  • Allow for greater control/optimisation of playback, and solve codec related issues.

WereCatf 2010-11-20 19:43

I could play rather large videos before PR1.3 with hardware acceleration enabled, but the previous Nokia decoder has been replaced with OpenMAX decoder and it seems OpenMAX doesn't support any reasonably high resolutions.. There is of course ffdec_h264, but that is not hardware accelerated and Nokia's own player doesn't use that. You could however hook to that instead of the default OpenMAX plugin and then you should be able to play more videos.

WereCatf 2010-11-20 21:35

I was playing around, transcoding stuff and so on, and apparently the OpenMAX can handle up to and including 720x576 video, but not even a bit higher than that.

atilla 2010-11-20 22:16

hey thanks for this app its the best youtube client ive seen so far for the n900.
but even if my n900 plays nothing behind 480x270 i can download the 720p version and watch it on my ps3 ;)
i hope it will be soon in extras cause this app is epic!!!

silbah 2010-11-20 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlatko (Post 878600)
@silbah
Why should the link itself have extension .deb? The link just points to the download directory. The file has correct name and extension.

It's not a big deal. It's just that when you left-click on it, the browser tries to save a file called Q30 to wherever folder you select.
Usually it's the proper filename and extension. That's all.

fraaaaanka 2010-11-20 23:17

brilliant app!!!!!!!

ScourgeV 2010-11-21 02:13

i love the idea of this app and it looks awesome but everytime i click it, it loads then closes out.

Tiptronic 2010-11-21 02:16

Very smartly made, I love it and appreciate the effort!

marxian 2010-11-21 02:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScourgeV (Post 879161)
i love the idea of this app and it looks awesome but everytime i click it, it loads then closes out.

Sounds like a missing dependency. Try:

Code:

apt-get install python2.5-qt4-core python2.5-qt4-gui python2.5-qt4-qtmaemo5