maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] cuteTube - A feature-rich YouTube client (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65854)

ScourgeV 2010-11-21 02:23

Re: [Announce] cuteTube - A feature-rich YouTube client

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 879164)
Sounds like a missing dependency. Try:

Code:

apt-get install python2.5-qt4-core python2.5-qt4-gui python2.5-qt4-qtmaemo5

thanks for the quick reply. i had some of these installed but ran this anyway and found out i was missing the last dependency haha. thanks for your help!

lucky88shp 2010-11-21 02:43

@Marxian
First of all i gotta say this...this app is nothing short of BRILLIANT!!! Runs absolutely flawless for me, but have only one lil problem, i cant log into my youtube account. i first thought i mite hav forgotten the login info, but then tried on another pc nd it logs in no prob...so is there ne1 else with tht prob or can u help me plzz?? i like adding comments nd rating vids....

rumeo 2010-11-21 06:33

Video quality is impressing now, much better than in the browser. Now Iit seems that Videos are looking better than on the iphone client.
Very nice.
Although search is not working and it's not starting anymore after using it once. No way. N900 rebooted - it crashes right after starting

bulelet 2010-11-21 06:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 878898)
I actually have the same problem. I stated earlier that 480p was working for me, but I was wrong (I was playing 480x270, when I believed it was the 480p version). cuteTube simply passes the URL to the chosen media player (the resulting URL is the same that can be obtained using the youtube-dl script), so any playback issues are beyond the scope of cuteTube atm.

This is why I originally omitted the option to play the higher quality streams (I knew they would not work in the default media player). I provided the options upon request. IMO 480x270 is OK on a 3.5" screen, but I would also like the option for higher quality, performance permitting. I may write an internal media player to:
  • Provide a more seamless playback experience.
  • Allow for some YouTube specific controls to be provided during playback (e.g. rate video)
  • Allow for greater control/optimisation of playback, and solve codec related issues.

you DUDE = awesome
just having 320 and 480p will be enough i guess, but having the option to play 720p.
now thats, yea.
thats.. YEAH. lol

WereCatf 2010-11-21 08:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulelet (Post 879235)
you DUDE = awesome
just having 320 and 480p will be enough i guess, but having the option to play 720p.
now thats, yea.
thats.. YEAH. lol

720p would be possible without hardware acceleration, but your phone is not fast enough to play 720p with software acceleration, not even if overclocked. Besides, 720p is a lot, lot more than the display resolution anyways so it's of no use. It only makes sense to download 720p if you're planning to watch it on a PC.

nicholes 2010-11-21 08:45

how to download low quality videos? becouse we have limited usage of internet..or there is no way at the moment.

maddude 2010-11-21 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by WereCatf (Post 879259)
720p would be possible without hardware acceleration, but your phone is not fast enough to play 720p with software acceleration, not even if overclocked. Besides, 720p is a lot, lot more than the display resolution anyways so it's of no use. It only makes sense to download 720p if you're planning to watch it on a PC.

guys is it just me not able to play 720 p downloaded videos from this app ?? i just downloaded the cod mw2 video trailer in 720 p, and the media player is telling me that its not capable of playing it (meida file not supported), why ?

WereCatf 2010-11-21 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddude (Post 879309)
guys is it just me not able to play 720 p downloaded videos from this app ?? i just downloaded the cod mw2 video trailer in 720 p, and the media player is telling me that its not capable of playing it (meida file not supported), why ?

I just said, 720p doesn't work with the hardware decoder. And Nokia's media player only uses the hardware decoder, not software one. And again, as I said, your phone isn't fast enough to do 720p in software anyways.

maddude 2010-11-21 10:09

ok thanks, my n900 is clocked at 900 mhz, so it should play 720p vids, but a bit choppy .
anyway it didn't, i'll go with 480 p .
and if the n900 isn't capable of playing 720p, why is there an option in this app to play 720 p vids ?

Chrome 2010-11-21 10:13

i get media format not supported when i stream 480p with default media player, even with extra decoders support. mplayer works fine though.

maddude 2010-11-21 10:19

so mplayer might be capable of playing 720p vids, i'll try it .

anapospastos 2010-11-21 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 878893)
The config file is at /home/user/.config/Stuart Howarth/cuteTube.conf.

The organisation name from QSettings (my name) is used for the subfolder, rather than the application name (which would make more sense IMO).

EDIT:

Do you get an information banner saying that your login attempt was unsuccessful? If not, you may need to install the qtmaemo5 module, by entering:

Code:

apt-get install python2.5-qt4-qtmaemo5

Ι deleted my .conf file but the problem is still here. I updated my python modules but the problem remains. The message "Unable to verify youtube account details" appears.

The name of the lib you mentioned me is "python2.5-qt4-maemo5" I think.

maddude 2010-11-21 13:15

is it just me not able to stream, or play downloaded videos with any quality better than the lowest one ?
i'm using the media player.

maddude 2010-11-21 14:03

just downloaded a 360p video and wasn't able to play it in my media player, why ?

marxian 2010-11-21 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddude (Post 879471)
just downloaded a 360p video and wasn't able to play it in my media player, why ?

The media player does not support the YouTube 360p format. I have changed the options to reflect this. My next build will only allow 360p and 480p if MPlayer is used. I plan to write an internal media player for cuteTube once the remaining bugs are fixed.

marxian 2010-11-21 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by anapospastos (Post 879333)
Ι deleted my .conf file but the problem is still here. I updated my python modules but the problem remains. The message "Unable to verify youtube account details" appears.

The name of the lib you mentioned me is "python2.5-qt4-maemo5" I think.

I'm hoping that I've fixed any authentication issues. I'll be uploading a new build later today, once I've carried out a few tests.

nicholes 2010-11-21 14:21

please answer me!!!how to download low quality videos? becouse we have limited usage of internet..or there is no way at the moment.

maddude 2010-11-21 14:26

thanks man ! mplayer plays good, but its a pain, we can't see the playing bar, no on screen buttons, and.... only the video playing, and some keyboard shortcuts.
anyway remember something, its great having an internal player for this awesome app (with hd support [480p] :D ) , but there are people with low connections (like me) arround the world, so make sure we can pause the video and it will continu loading, not like the media player . kind of like on the youtube page.
and wouldn't it be easier to put it in the testings (or devels) ? it will reach extras by tomorow. :D (because its the best youtube app)

slender 2010-11-21 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholes (Post 879488)
please answer me!!!how to download low quality videos? becouse we have limited usage of internet..or there is no way at the moment.

Not nice way to ask..:|

You can already download 360p videos. If you are asking how to download those IIRC 3gp or something very low quality videos then you probably know answer if you have installed app :|

.edit
These?
http://m.youtube.com/

marxian 2010-11-21 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholes (Post 879488)

You can download videos at 480x270 atm. How low do you want to go? I can add the lowest quality formats. That is no problem.

I'm still waiting for permission to upload to extras-devel atm. I'll upload as soon as I can.

EDIT: I will add options for 400x266 and 176x144.

maddude 2010-11-21 16:15

and how about a 800x480 format ? so we can stream it from the media player, and play the downloaded version from the media player .
becasue media player only supports .
thanks you .

marxian 2010-11-21 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddude (Post 879572)
and how about a 800x480 format ? so we can stream it from the media player, and play the downloaded version from the media player .
becasue media player only supports .
thanks you .

YouTube does not provide a 800x480 stream. The closest available is 854x480.

maddude 2010-11-21 16:21

but 854x480 is not supported by our beloved medai player,as i said the bst quality we can get from the media player is the lowest one possible in this app :( .
maybe the promissed internal player will bring higher quality :) .
Cheers .

anwar71839 2010-11-21 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddude (Post 879492)
thanks man ! mplayer plays good, but its a pain, we can't see the playing bar, no on screen buttons, and.... only the video playing, and some keyboard shortcuts.
anyway remember something, its great having an internal player for this awesome app (with hd support [480p] :D ) , but there are people with low connections (like me) arround the world, so make sure we can pause the video and it will continu loading, not like the media player . kind of like on the youtube page.
and wouldn't it be easier to put it in the testings (or devels) ? it will reach extras by tomorow. :D (because its the best youtube app)

480p is not hd 720p is. Btw, i would love if cutetube had hd support

cjp 2010-11-21 16:43

This app has a better UI than the official one you're supposed to use in the website in your browser. For the first time I'm actually using Playlist functionality of YouTube.

I love the fact that I can use the Media Player for playing the vids and the option to choose the quality.

This is very quickly gaining the "must have" status from me. Yeah, the guy who has always protested using YouTube apps when we cann just visit the webpage.

Thanks for this app!

WereCatf 2010-11-21 16:46

Just give the man some time and don't bug him all the time? I am quite sure he's doing all he can, but apparently he has to build a complete new player from scratch in order to fix all the minor issues.

marxian 2010-11-21 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddude (Post 879580)
but 854x480 is not supported by our beloved medai player,as i said the bst quality we can get from the media player is the lowest one possible in this app :( .
maybe the promissed internal player will bring higher quality :) .
Cheers .

At the moment cuteTube only passes the url to the external media player. I have no influence over which formats the media player supports. That is down to the Nokia media player devs. The solutions under consideration are:
  • Transcode the stream and output a format that is suitable for the media player.
  • Write an internal player, which would provide additional benefits such as YouTube related controls.

I am leaning towards writing an internal player, but it could take a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anwar71839 (Post 879582)
480p is not hd 720p is. Btw, i would love if cutetube had hd support

720p will never be supported for playback, because it is pointless on a 3.5" screen and is too resource intensive. I like decent battery life on my N900.

daperl 2010-11-21 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 879614)

Why not beg, borrow and steal from MediaBox; the demigod pycage has already done plenty of work in this area. Also, there's some good Maemo 5 code to look at here:

Code:

apt-get source mafw-test-gui

M00NB34M 2010-11-21 17:46

This is SUCH a good app! PLEEASE keep this one going! Loving it too much :D

If only most apps were made like this one!!

Well done matey! Keep it up! :D

WereCatf 2010-11-21 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 879614)

I too would recommend that. You can add a dependency on the extra decoders to cuteTube and write a media player using GStreamer. By default you could try to play the video with the OpenMAX decoder, but if it fails then the application just silently switches to ffdec_h264 for that video, and your end-users will be happy.

Quote:

720p will never be supported for playback, because it is pointless on a 3.5" screen and is too resource intensive. I like decent battery life on my N900.
Some people here just don't seem to realize that playing 720p on N900 is pointless. Just for a clarification to those people: the N900 has a display resolution of 800x480 pixels. Anything larger than that needs to be scaled down.

Now, 720p is a short-hand for 1280x720 pixels, which is rather obviously A LOT more than N900's resolution. Thus the video just gets scaled down. 480p video is actually a lot closer to N900's native resolution and because there's significantly less to decode it'll also reduce battery consumption.

MohammadAG 2010-11-21 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingley Joe (Post 878053)
This app is really nicely thought out -- great work!

Question: Are you aware of xVideoServiceThief

It's an open-source (GPL) app that allows for viewing/downloading video clips from a huge variety of different video sites (76 websites and increasing all the time)..

I know cuteTube is strictly a YouTube viewer at the moment, but it would be FANTASTIC to have the functionality of xVST in an app with such an elegant design as yours.

Just something to ponder :)

I don't intend to hijack this thread, but it appears to be in Qt (and the UI is designed in Qt Designer so should be fairly easy to edit).
http://i54.tinypic.com/i1fi4g.jpg

Compiling is straightforward, qmake; make then copy the binary in bin/ somewhere.

Edit: oh and you might want to use -style cleanlooks when you run it, hildon's styling makes it ugly and unusable.

@ OP, thanks a heap for the app, I don't use youtube.com anymore (and even though it's in Python, it's pretty damn fast :D)

maddude 2010-11-21 20:15

this such a nice app, can't stop playing/downloading youtube videos, my internet connection has abused (went over the limits :D ) .
thanks man, and nice to see the experts here trying to get that internal media player working ;) .

marxian 2010-11-21 21:00

To anyone that is unable to sign in to their YouTube account, I would appreciate it if you could test the latest build. Fingers crossed. ;)

NightShift79 2010-11-21 21:06

it's a very clean and nice app to have. And I would second the idea of making "cutetube" an multi video platform viewer.

...Although, I got VLC installen and I wanted to set cutetube to open the videos with VLC, but VLC doesn't appear in the list. only Media player. Any hint?

marxian 2010-11-21 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightShift79 (Post 879796)
it's a very clean and nice app to have. And I would second the idea of making "cutetube" an multi video platform viewer.

...Although, I got VLC installen and I wanted to set cutetube to open the videos with VLC, but VLC doesn't appear in the list. only Media player. Any hint?

The current code only supports Media Player and MPlayer. I can easily add VLC, but only if it is stable (I haven't tried it). I don't want to allow playback using unstable media players (I will end up getting the hassle ;) ).

dagee04 2010-11-21 23:39

So I was curious. I set up a playlist and even a queue because I wanted to music to move from one song to the next automatically. But no matter what I did only one song would play and then stop. I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong or maybe the program is not set up like that.

Props to you though men. This is a great program! Thumbs up.

marxian 2010-11-22 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagee04 (Post 879882)
So I was curious. I set up a playlist and even a queue because I wanted to music to move from one song to the next automatically. But no matter what I did only one song would play and then stop. I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong or maybe the program is not set up like that.

Props to you though men. This is a great program! Thumbs up.

There's no support for playing an entire playlist or queue atm. I'm working on an internal media player atm, and that will have those features. :)

jakiman 2010-11-22 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by WereCatf (Post 879663)
Some people here just don't seem to realize that playing 720p on N900 is pointless. Just for a clarification to those people: the N900 has a display resolution of 800x480 pixels. Anything larger than that needs to be scaled down.

Now, 720p is a short-hand for 1280x720 pixels, which is rather obviously A LOT more than N900's resolution. Thus the video just gets scaled down. 480p video is actually a lot closer to N900's native resolution and because there's significantly less to decode it'll also reduce battery consumption.

Some people don't seem to realize that it is not pointless. It means I can play files that I only have it in 720p format without needing to transcode. Means I only need to download 720p video from this awesome cuteTube client or anywhere else and enjoy full downscaled WVGA resolution video output on the N900 while enjoying full 720p on my TV/PC. No need for 2 separate resolution files.

btw, N900's video card driver is hard limited for the video resolution. This was discussed in another thread. (try playing a 720p file with mplayer) So no matter what, 720p videos will not play on the N900 using Maemo5 OS unless you resize on the fly. (which can be done using mplayer) Then mplay does play 720p video files. However, it plays it at like 1-2 fps at best. Heck, N900 even struggles with 480p AVC files right now. N900's hw is more capable than what it can do right now but we don't have the drivers / codec to take advantage of hw acceleration.

BTW, when you boot into Nitdroid on N900, Rockplayer can play 720p video files (even x264 mkv) without any special hacking. But it still only plays it at around 2-3 fps at best. Even on my 1Ghz N900. =P

gabby131 2010-11-22 00:51

yehey!!! i like this!!!

mrexcess 2010-11-22 01:38

really nice work +karma for you sir.

had to sure up a few dependencies but smooth install after that, runs really nicely, no issues logging into my account viewing subscriptions etc.

can even view comments wich is rare in the youtube apps ive seen in the past.

2 tiny comments:

- Can i pause it to let the video buffer fully? ive tried but cant really tell if its working and some videos buffer every 6 seconds
- It could do with a decent icon for the desktop but thats hardly a major issue and im sure it will get one when it hist devel/extras.