maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] Wifi Assistant (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=59574)

hutchinsfairy 2011-01-06 09:41

Re: [Announce] Wifi Assistant

Upgraded to latest version and set the url in settings but new SSIDs still open with wifi-assistant garage page.
gconf seems to be a mess of keys under /apps/maemo/wifi-assistant and /apps/maemo/wifi_assistant so:

Code:

apt-get purge wifi-assistant
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/maemo/wifi-assistant
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/maemo/wifi_assistant
apt-get install wifi-assistant
gconftool-2 -s -t string /apps/maemo/wifi_assistant/MySSID/options/url 'http://www.MyURL.com'

Seems to work.
Still seems to be a single key under wifi-assistant though...

fredrik_wendt 2011-01-06 21:28

Yes. If I've had the time, I would have prefered to package a proper update script, that transfer all "old" settings to the new layout in gconf. I don't have much time so I prioritized a release instead with more solid software and ability to change the URL opened based on SSID.
My guess is that the install-script contains an incorrect key - the application uses only one gconf "root" path/directory, which is /apps/maemo/wifi_assistant.

Yes, you've just identified a bug and I verified that the install-script uses an incorrect path - thanks a bunch! :)
(I'll write a fix now right away, but I can't push publicly until a new SSL certificate is in place for vcs.maemo.org (version control system) - the certificate expired on new years eve and although reported some time ago it's still not fixed ...)

As a side-note, I'm "shutting down" the garage page in favor of http://wiki.maemo.org/WifiAssistant

hutchinsfairy 2011-01-07 09:01

Thanks Fredrik, much appreciated.

knuthf 2011-07-12 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by rantom (Post 782524)
Great app, thanks for this. It seems to work just fine, though, as far as I can tell, the network-profiles (e.g. network A) are not saved/shown until connected to it in the list. However, I'd have few suggestions as improvements.

1. Add support for networks with spaces between them (e.g. This Is My Network). So far I've been able to use this app in non-spaced network only (e.g. mynetwork).
2. Allow users to define the usable address by network. If I'd add Google to open on every network I'd just get redirected and thus not really saving up any time.

That's about it though. :)

It seems to set an event that is not in the new release of Maemo. Please verify dependecies, and make it depend on WiFi only. My N900 hangs after a call has been completed and reboots with a message related to the "custom" kernal - where no modifications have been done, but installed the WiFi Assistant.

fredrik_wendt 2011-07-13 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by knuthf (Post 1049683)
It seems to set an event that is not in the new release of Maemo. Please verify dependecies, and make it depend on WiFi only. My N900 hangs after a call has been completed and reboots with a message related to the "custom" kernal - where no modifications have been done, but installed the WiFi Assistant.

Weird, the app is merely registering a listener - the only signal sent out is the one to launch a browser.
I have not been using Maemo and my N900 because there's something wrong with the hardware. I have since made the switch to Android. The source for the app is completely free and if anyone wants to have a go at it, please do so - I'll be happy to answer questions and there are plenty of unit tests for the code I've written. The parts you are referring to, however, needs to be tested with a full complete system.
I don't have working hardware to test on any longer, and Nokia went straight to hell with Microsoft so I don't intend to look their way (unless they change strategy). Sorry. :(

ejasmudar 2012-08-27 08:04

Is this app still supported?

fredrik_wendt 2012-09-04 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejasmudar (Post 1256132)
Is this app still supported?

Well, my dear device started having issues with connectivity during phone calls so I had to get something new pretty quick, and sadly I went Android. I'd love to have an N9 in my pocket, but until Nokia drops the Windows fanboi flag I'll put my money somewhere else.

Regardless, the app's source is free and if anyone wants to jump in and improve it or fix things, please just go ahead.
I can't really do much development since my device is non-functional and the development environment I had setup is long gone as well.

nbedford 2012-09-06 09:26

Would it be possible to port this app to run on N9?

fredrik_wendt 2012-09-06 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbedford (Post 1262058)
Would it be possible to port this app to run on N9?

Yes, by all means. It would probably be a complete re-write, but it's not a very complicated thing to write.
I would port it right away if I only had an N9. :-)