maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   [Announce] ProfileMatic for Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79642)

ajalkane 2012-02-27 22:06

Re: [Announce/WIP] ProfileMatic for Harmattan

Quote:

Originally Posted by legoman666 (Post 1169292)
Cool, a per wifi AP is fine, I only switch between home and work on a regular basis.

Edit, I looked and didn't see the option. Did you mean that it'd be possible to add this feature or that it was already implemented?

I mean it will be soon possible... I might do it for next version, if not then a version following that.

And good news at last about Flight Mode and Power Saving Mode. I finally got Flight Mode working. Therefore next release should have settings for both Flight Mode and Power Saving. I will work on those during this week, and if time permits I will also include the 2g/3g/dual setting.

Also for sure the next version will contain Availability (gtalk/facebook etc. chat) settings. Big thanks to Philip Lorenz who contributed the code for it!

ajalkane 2012-03-01 05:35

Here's a beta build of ProfileMatic 1.4.0:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/~ks2877/profi...beta_armel.deb

New in this version:
- Availability action
- Flight mode action
- Power saving mode action

If you have installed ProfileMatic from Nokia Store, you must uninstall it first before installing the beta. It'll be just a couple of days until I push a version to Nokia Store, so if you find problems let me know fast.

Since I haven't done the help texts properly, some warnings here:

Flight mode of course cuts connections, so if you want ProfileMatic to set flight mode on, you can't rely on conditions that depend on network (WLAN, Location) while device is in flight mode. Basically time based rules should be used with flight mode.

Power saving mode disconnects from WLAN. So using WLAN condition to turn it back on will not work.

Perhaps I should display a warning if user tries to specify such conditions.

If I have time I may try to squeeze switching between 2g/3g/dual modes to this version, but probably I have to delay it to 1.5.0.

ajalkane 2012-03-04 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1172440)
If I have time I may try to squeeze switching between 2g/3g/dual modes to this version, but probably I have to delay it to 1.5.0.

I didn't have time to implement this to version 1.4.0 which has been submitted to store. Good news is that I've already implemented it for the next version.

I also found out about how to set stand-by screen on and off. But I'm feeling it's a bit too esoteric feature to support directly in UI (it starts to be crowded with the actions already). But it is extremely easy to do by command-line. So I will implement to next version executing command-line applications, and you can then easily create rules yourself that switch it on and off (and many other uses also). Does that sound reasonable?

WhitP 2012-03-04 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1174167)
I didn't have time to implement this to version 1.4.0 which has been submitted to store. Good news is that I've already implemented it for the next version.

I also found out about how to set stand-by screen on and off. But I'm feeling it's a bit too esoteric feature to support directly in UI (it starts to be crowded with the actions already). But it is extremely easy to do by command-line. So I will implement to next version executing command-line applications, and you can then easily create rules yourself that switch it on and off (and many other uses also). Does that sound reasonable?

Wonderful stuff about the 2G/3G/dual switching from a purely selfish point of view! :D
I agree it would be best to avoid the interface getting too complicated to navigate, and the command-line support is an interesting idea to keep things neat while keeping it flexible.

Morpog 2012-03-04 18:26

Or just add a switch for expert mode to show all available options.

ajalkane 2012-03-04 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpog (Post 1174269)
Or just add a switch for expert mode to show all available options.

I thought about that, but when it comes down to it the only really "expert mode" action is running arbitrary command-line commands. But such a setting might come in future, depending on what's needed. In anyway I think the UI needs some sort of cleaning up/re-organization in the future as there starts to be too many actions.

ajalkane 2012-03-04 22:29

I've now made ProfileMatic, besides being GPL, also a beg-ware application since my financial situation is a bit strict in the foreseeable future. So please consider donating whatever you feel reasonable (or even unreasonable) if you find ProfileMatic useful. Heck, I'm not too picky, I'll take donations even if you don't find it useful ;).

legoman666 2012-03-05 02:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1174167)

That's awesome. Do you have a beta build of 1.5.0 available?

ajalkane 2012-03-05 05:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by legoman666 (Post 1174395)
That's awesome. Do you have a beta build of 1.5.0 available?

Ok, here's beta of 1.5.0:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/~ks2877/profi...beta_armel.deb

If you have version installed from Ovi Store, you must uninstall it first (your rule settings are not deleted by this).

New in 1.5.0:
- Mobile network mode action (Dual/GSM/3G)
- Custom action (ie. running command line when rule is activated)

Here's an example of using the custom action to set "Stand-by screen" off. Put this in the custom action:
Code:

gconftool-2 -s /system/osso/dsm/display/use_low_power_mode --type boolean false
To put it on, use this command:
Code:

gconftool-2 -s /system/osso/dsm/display/use_low_power_mode --type boolean true
Let me know of problems in this version. It'll be a bit of time before it arrives to Nokia store, as even 1.4.0 is not yet there.

For this version, I must thank "itsnotabigtruck" for his help with getting the needed development libraries for switching mobile network mode. That saved me a lot of time.

legoman666 2012-03-06 03:08

Thanks. I have it installed. I'll be testing it tomorrow when I go to work. One thing to note: I can't select a WLAN that I'm not connected to when making new rules. I can only select the wifi AP that I'm already on.