maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] Instago, an Instagram client for MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86665)

dirksonguer 2012-09-08 14:37

[Announce] Instago, an Instagram client for MeeGo / Harmattan

Hi all,

while I do love my N9 I do miss a couple of applications for it. Some became available since (hi wazzap), but I still miss Instagram for example. Yeah, I know about Molome (and use it actually), but I still prefer Instagrams clean interface and community aspect.

So I finally started working on a client myself. It’s called “Instago” and to get right to the elephant in the room: Yes, it’s a simple viewer at the moment. And no, I’m not going to reverse engineer posting images to Instagram nor will I try.

Instead, here is what I’m going to do:

Step 1: Implement as much features as possible without actually authenticating myself (via OAuth). Test it, have a beta and then push it to the Nokia Store. This is pretty much where I am at the moment.

Step 2: Implement user authentication and have all the interactive features (like searching, friends, likes, news stream and so on). Test it, have a beta and push the update to the Nokia Store.

Step 3: Contact Instagram and beg to be approved for official upload support :)

The latest public beta (stable) can be found on the project download page (with changelog since last stable version 0.5.1).

The latest developer build (v0.6.1, unstable) can be found here (direct download).

You can follow my progress in written form on my blog: http://n9development.tumblr.com/

The code itself can be found on the Google Code page which also contains the current list of stable builds of the app as well as the (unstable) developer versions. Beware that those are developers builds at the moment. Use them at your own risk and they probably will have bugs. However they are mostly tested and run ok on my N9.

I hope you like it. Feedback is always welcome, same as feature requests, code reviews or just general developer chat.

thedead1440 2012-09-08 14:43

Re: [Announce] Instago, an Instagram client for MeeGo / Harmattan

Well we can now put to rest all those threads comparing instagram with molome thanks to you!

Thanks for the app!

P.S. verify your email address so people can show their appreciation :D

baem90 2012-09-08 14:46

wow! greatt! will try! :)

darkphantom93 2012-09-08 15:01

thx.....can't wait

N9owner 2012-09-08 15:52

cool mate...look promising & cant wait for beta version :D

mdbxh 2012-09-08 16:19

i want add to save pictures

kb61 2012-09-08 16:58

great, love it and hoping for further improvements :)

Dousan 2012-09-08 17:07

Nice initiative, looks very good :D

Dousan...

aecee05 2012-09-09 03:32

WOW! WOW! WOW!

I hope you will be able to beg instagram for the upload feature! I wouldn't have to reboot to nitdroid just for instagram if that'll work! Thanks and keep up the good work.. :)

yongjie 2012-09-09 05:54

wow!!!nice!!!
bt can port to n900??

dirksonguer 2012-09-09 06:54

Thank you all for your nice words and support.. it's great to hear that I'm not the only one that missed Instagram.

@thedead1440: Done, verified my mail (verification mail was in the spam folder) :)

@mdbxh: The current plan is to use the Share UI to share a link to the Instagram viewer page. But at first glance I didn't get this to work and it seems rather complicated, so maybe a simple "save to" on long tap would be ok, too.

@yongjie: Well, at the moment I just use standard QML components, so making it work shouldn't be that hard. Problem is: I don't have the hardware.

Jeffrey04 2012-09-09 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirksonguer (Post 1263471)
Thank you all for your nice words and support.. it's great to hear that I'm not the only one that missed Instagram.

@thedead1440: Done, verified my mail (verification mail was in the spam folder) :)

@mdbxh: The current plan is to use the Share UI to share a link to the Instagram viewer page. But at first glance I didn't get this to work and it seems rather complicated, so maybe a simple "save to" on long tap would be ok, too.

@yongjie: Well, at the moment I just use standard QML components, so making it work shouldn't be that hard. Problem is: I don't have the hardware.

:) use of share UI would be nice
project sounds interesting :cool:

Muzimak 2012-09-09 07:36

Just a question, why do we need Instagram if there's Facebook? Or Picasa for that matter?

thedead1440 2012-09-09 07:38

Well Instagram is the current "in" thing so...

Just like we don't need Whatsapp since we have Jabber but then what's in fashion is always in-demand ;)

dirksonguer 2012-09-09 13:24

@Jeffrey04: Agree, share ui would be great, but I need to look into that a little bit more to get it to work.

@Muzimak: Because having a choice is a good thing?
..that and what thedead1440 said :)

slashd0t 2012-09-09 14:56

Tmo needs a bigger thanks button for this!!

slashd0t 2012-09-09 15:12

one small thing.. The description says browse popular photos and your friends photos.. I can seem to find a way to login to search for my friends at all.. Is this a coming feature?

thanks again for your work on this.

yongjie 2012-09-09 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirksonguer (Post 1263471)

what a sad news... :(
who is good developer here? can port to N900?
QML basic on what language?? java ?

Jeffrey04 2012-09-09 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by yongjie (Post 1263792)

qml is a declarative language to do UI development (syntax sort of resembles JSON), though you can use javascript to do some work :)
there are some great tutorial screencasts you can refer at Qt's site

bandora 2012-09-09 18:54

Is it okay if you upload it to apps.formeego.org? this way if there are any updates we will get notified automatically from our N9/50's.. :)

b-rockSA 2012-09-09 19:08

Well done man!!! Great start!!! If you need the help of the community to get Instagram support, just holla!!!

taixzo 2012-09-09 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by yongjie (Post 1263792)

I can try porting it to the N900, once my battery charger arrives.

dirksonguer 2012-09-09 20:27

@slashd0t: Yes, authentication including the respecive features like news feed, friends and likes etc. is planned.

@bandora: Good point. I'll upload the first stable build of the viewer (v0.1.0). It's meant for public testing and should be available mid next week.

@taixzo: Let me know if I can help you with something regarding a possible port. Good job on Saera btw, shame I don't have a 900 :)

dirksonguer 2012-09-12 13:44

Quick update:

I found an example with a working helper class I used as base, so sharing via standard share ui works. (FYI: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ic_App_with_Qt)

I'm wrapping it up for release 0.1.0, which will be the public beta release. Expect it on Friday..

Matt-UAE 2012-09-12 14:10

Awesome.. Installed just now....

Thanks to add one more feather to the hat of N9 users and ofcourse TMO community...

Keep it up and hope to see more coming dayz...

radicali 2012-09-13 22:50

Where is the donation link;)??

Thanks a lot!!:D:D:D

ttt0600 2012-09-14 01:25

I love it when I see the popular apps are being ported to the amazing N9 by the best devs of all time!!
+1 for the App and hope to see more features coming soon :)

ibrakalifa 2012-09-14 01:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muzimak (Post 1263490)
Just a question, why do we need Instagram if there's Facebook? Or Picasa for that matter?

why do we need whatsapp if there any something like gtalk, skype, jabber, yahoo messenger , etc?
man you are funny, jm2c

varunshaji 2012-09-14 04:18

Hehaaa waiting for intsagram :)

wout.martens 2012-09-14 14:38

Thanks for the update.
1 small comment, i preferred the previous icon.

Looking forward to new updates, like uploading :)

dirksonguer 2012-09-14 15:25

What? It's the same icon, just less pixely :)

ZogG 2012-09-14 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by wout.martens (Post 1266326)
Thanks for the update.
1 small comment, i preferred the previous icon.

Looking forward to new updates, like uploading :)

You can wait for upload for a long time, as it depends not on dev, but Instagram and there closed APIs :P

wout.martens 2012-09-14 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirksonguer (Post 1266357)
What? It's the same icon, just less pixely :)

This one is more embossed...
And yes less pixely, that's true.

Regarding api... Ah true. :( Damn!

dirksonguer 2012-09-14 18:48

Sorry, removed the link to the public beta beacause of this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...87#post1266487

I will figure something out wheI get home...

ZogG 2012-09-14 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirksonguer (Post 1266505)
Sorry, removed the link to the public beta beacause of this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...87#post1266487

just keep working not publicly on it and after competition we'll get nice update with all features. You can ask there if it would be fair to at least include changelog of upcoming versions :P

trayhoper 2012-09-14 23:46

Great effort i appreciate.And yeah changelog would be nice.I hope that Instagram will let you upload :)

N9owner 2012-09-15 02:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirksonguer (Post 1266505)

no chance to try it :'(

Muzimak 2012-09-15 08:32

Ok how does this work currently, do I need to logon/register and how? I only see 2 buttons, refresh and Information, where do I go from there?

dirksonguer 2012-09-15 09:17

Sorry all, I messed this up. The version I entered in the competition is v0.0.2. The only difference to 0.1.0 is the already announced sharing feature, some layout shuffling and a bit of internal code cleanup and preparation for the login features.

So for now I'm sorry that you're all stuck at v0.0.2, but it's pretty much were you would be feature-wise, even with the new version.

I will of course continue to work on it, although I won't release running versions until the competition is over. So you can expect a big update as soon as the waiting time is over.

@Muzimak: At the moment Instago is a simple viewer for Instagrams popular photo stream. All you can do is: View the popular photos, reload them (for new ones), get a detail view for a specific image (by tapping on one) and view the author page (by tapping on the authors name).

For a general timeline / my plan for the app, please see my first post in this thread.

N9owner 2012-09-15 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirksonguer (Post 1266723)
Sorry all, I messed this up. The version I entered in the competition is v0.0.2. The only difference to 0.1.0 is the already announced sharing feature, some layout shuffling and a bit of internal code cleanup and preparation for the login features.

So for now I'm sorry that you're all stuck at v0.0.2, but it's pretty much were you would be feature-wise, even with the new version.

I will of course continue to work on it, although I won't release running versions until the competition is over. So you can expect a big update as soon as the waiting time is over.

@Muzimak: At the moment Instago is a simple viewer for Instagrams popular photo stream. All you can do is: View the popular photos, reload them (for new ones), get a detail view for a specific image (by tapping on one) and view the author page (by tapping on the authors name).

For a general timeline / my plan for the app, please see my first post in this thread.

thanks for ur clarify bout the issue mate..just waiting for next update :D