maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Run Mac Software on Your NIT with Basilisk II (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=16306)

OSEmuTech 2008-02-08 01:13

Run Mac Software on Your NIT with Basilisk II

If anyone is interested, a new build of the open source Macintosh 680x0 emulator called Basilisk II is available.

Update: See this post by t3h for updated Basilisk II port which includes full screen and a mouse fix!

Update: Also see the Basilisk II on your Nokia Internet Tablet website for a (work-in-progress) tutorial on setting up and running Basilisk II.

You can run up to Mac OS 8.1 on it and almost any software title (including games) available for the platform. It has sound (even text to speech works) and the screen dimensions can be made any size.

It's not hildonized as I just did a simple build using Scratchbox. This build is at least 2 times faster than an earlier build mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

You do need a 512K or 1MB ROM image file from a 680x0 Mac, a Mac operating system (Apple provides Mac OS 7.5.x for free*) and need to edit the .basilisk_ii_prefs file to match your paths of ROM and hard drive files. xkbd is also needed if you don't have a N810 or bluetooth keyboard.

The Mac OS is installed on a hard drive file which can be created using one of the other (Win/Lin/Mac) ports of Basilisk II. I created a web page long ago that might be of assistance: http://mes.emuunlim.com/projects/bas...lp/b2setup.htm

There are a number of sites where you can get assistance setting up Basilisk II. I recommend getting familiar with the Windows, Linux, or Mac OS ports of Basilisk II before attempting to set things up on your Internet Tablet.

Do not ask me for ROM images, Mac operating systems, or Mac software! I will ignore you. :rolleyes:

I'm running Mac OS 7.6.1 here using a ROM file from my Quadra 610. These are the programs I currently have installed:

http://fkwjcw.bay.livefilestore.com/...N800B2More.png

Microsoft Word

http://fkwjcw.bay.livefilestore.com/...N800B2Word.png

Excel

http://fkwjcw.bay.livefilestore.com/...800B2Excel.png

A "few" extensions at startup:

http://fkwjcw.bay.livefilestore.com/...Extensions.png

Mathematica 3.0 launching on Mac OS 8.1 with Addison's custom xkbd layout.

http://fkwjcw.bay.livefilestore.com/...athematica.png

*System 7.5.3 install files:

Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_01of19.smi.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_02of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_03of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_04of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_05of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_06of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_07of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_08of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_09of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_10of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_11of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_12of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_13of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_14of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_15of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_16of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_17of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_18of19.part.bin
Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_19of19.part.bin

System 7.5.5 update:

Macintosh/System/System_7.5.5_Update/Sys_7.5.5_Update-NetInstall.sea.bin

sondjata 2008-02-08 01:20

Re: Run Mac Software on Your NIT with Basilisk II

Now you see, this is interesting. running the classic mac environment on an IT is an interesting proposition. How much space did this take up on your card? By chance does full screen work?

OSEmuTech 2008-02-08 01:39

All you need is enough space for the operating system and any applications you want installed. Typically this will be anywhere between 20 MB to 50MB depending on which Mac OS and which components of the OS you wish installed.

You could boot up from a 1.4 MB floppy image up to a 2000 MB hard drive file image. And ... you can mount multiple hard drive files so 64 GB (~32 2GB hard drive files) of Mac stuff on two 32 SDHC cards is possible (on a N800, if you're crazy). :p

The full screen doesn't work. I'm not a developer, just a script kiddie. Instead of using the latest CVS source of "Basilisk II JIT", I used an older source tarball of "Basilisk II" before the JIT engine was added. the Maemo platform didn't allow enabling JIT for the three Mac emulators (Basilisk II JIT, SheepShaver, PearPC) that I attempted building using the latest CVS source for each of them. Basilisk II runs faster than Basilisk II JIT with the JIT disabled, which is why earlier Maemo builds by others here were pretty slow.

I would LOVE to have a real developer take over this and add full screen and\or hildonization.

sjgadsby 2008-02-08 01:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSEmuTech (Post 139622)
If anyone is interested, a new build of the open source Macintosh 680x0 emulator called Basilisk II is available.

Ah, I'm so glad I saved that OS 8.1 disk from the trash all those years ago. This will be fun. Thank you.

sondjata 2008-02-08 02:00

Thanks man. If I could run this full screen I'd download it and use it instead of the built in OS stuff ( except maemomapper of course).

debernardis 2008-02-08 06:25

Seems fun, I'd like to try. I have never used a mac!
And, a-ehm, are there on the internet any dirty and immoral places where pushers pass you a copy of a mac rom without you owning the real thing? (My questions is only to know what I have *not* to visit with my browser in order to go straight to heavens after my departure). Maybe torrents?

mooler 2008-02-08 06:39

do not go to thepiratebay

krisse 2008-02-08 07:11

Ironically, this is yet another thing you can't do on the iPhone or iPod Touch.

dont 2008-02-08 13:39

*cough, cough*

debernardis 2008-02-08 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by dont (Post 139795)

That's not good, it's a 256 k image, while a 512 to 1 meg rom image is needed. I am actively searching but the internet is becoming too much a morigerate place in these days :p

EDIT: I knew that there had to be one. Google for quad650.zip :cool:

EDIT 2: GOSH! It's quick! I like it! Now I understand those mac fanboys... :eek:

debernardis 2008-02-08 16:23

OSEmuTech, which version of microsoft office runs well on this emulator?

sjgadsby 2008-02-08 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by debernardis (Post 139845)

You'd probably want to look for Word 5.1. While Word 6.0 will also run, it's probably one of the most hated Mac apps ever. If I recall correctly, Microsoft ended up giving purchasers free downgrades to 5.1.

debernardis 2008-02-08 16:51

One other question (osemutech will know):
the pointer arrow on the emulator is... "sticky". When I get some desktop item, the pointer won't leave it when raising my pen from the tablet screen, as if a mac mouse key were still pressed. It's very disturbing.
How do you solve this?

dont 2008-02-08 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by debernardis (Post 139822)
That's not good, it's a 256 k image, while a 512 to 1 meg rom image is needed.

Sorry about that. It does work with mini vMac, another Mac emulator for older Macs I guess.

I don't think mini vMac is available for the Tablets, although various folks seem to have got it going privately.

OSEmuTech 2008-02-08 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by debernardis (Post 139854)
One other question (osemutech will know):
the pointer arrow on the emulator is... "sticky". When I get some desktop item, the pointer won't leave it when raising my pen from the tablet screen, as if a mac mouse key were still pressed. It's very disturbing.
How do you solve this?

Yeah, that is an irritating effect that both Basilisk II and DOSBox (running Windows) has. I solve it under Basilisk II by clicking on a blank spot in the menu bar once or twice which releases the mouse. Under DOSBox, I choose an Alt-key and choose a menu item (like Alt-F for File), though there was a F-key (CTRL-F10?) that's supposed to do it too (I just got my iGo keyboard and haven't tried running Windows on my NIT lately.)

It's something else a real developer might be able to fix.

OSEmuTech 2008-02-08 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by debernardis (Post 139845)

I bought Office 4.21 for Mac (Word 6.01, Excel 5, PowerPoint 4 I think) on eBay a number of years ago. It works great IMO.

I am familiar with many of the last versions of 68k-compatible software if anyone has any questions.

The next versions of Office for Mac (Office 98, 2001) can run on some ports of the SheepShaver Mac PPC emulator (runs up to Mac OS 9.04). I kept getting a error during the make phase which I haven't been able to fix.

I did get the G3\G4 Mac OS X emulator called PearPC built and it runs on Maemo, but I gave up after 20 minutes or so waiting for it to boot Mac OS X Leopard. :D The emulator can be pretty slow on Windows\Linux system as it is.

http://fkwjcw.bay.livefilestore.com/...sQ/ppcn800.png

job4031 2008-02-09 13:38

Very cool, one question. How do I run the Scratchbox build of Basilisk? The untarred file has permissions of read and write but not execute. I tried sudo chmod but that won't change it to an executeable. I tried installing it via the Application Manager but doesn't appear to be that type of file. I have my 7.5.5 disk image, ROM image file, and Basilisk II preference file already to go. I just can't figure out how to run Basilisk :(

Appreciate any and all help. Itching to Install Wordperfect 3.5e and see how that works. For anybody who would like to try this free and very functional wordprocessor go here:
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html

debernardis 2008-02-09 13:52

Why sudo? Just take the BasiliskII file from the tgz archive, put it i.e. in /home/user and do
chmod 755 BasiliskII
then run with
./BasiliskII

and here you go

debernardis 2008-02-09 20:40

I have found only one place on the 'net where I could possibly *buy* an old copy of office 4.2.1 for mac.
Unfortunately, the email address is encrypted by a silly javascript which refuses to work in all the browsers I tried (microb, firefox, konqueror). Maybe it works in internet explorer and somebody can look at the following page and let me know the mail address?

http://www.dans20thcenturyabandonware.com/contact.html

Ah, and I admit I searched also in p2p and ehr... sites, but with no joy :(

OSEmuTech 2008-02-09 21:32

Dans20thcenturyabandonware never had the programs available for download. But it was an awesome site to checkout info and screenshots of older software.

BTW: I provided a link to many auctions for Office 4.2x for Mac in post #16: eBay

t3h 2008-02-10 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSEmuTech (Post 139632)
I would LOVE to have a real developer take over this and add full screen and\or hildonization.

I shall see what I can do.

OSEmuTech 2008-02-10 03:07

Thanks you. Good luck!

I have a large collection of source code tarballs that cover a number of years of Basilisk II and Basilisk II JIT releases. I tried compiling around 10 of them last night, but only the one linked to in my second post compiled all the way and ran correctly on my N800. The others usually had the dreaded sigsegv error during the make phase, or when run on my N800.

One of the 2005 source tarballs would compile and even had the GUI frontend for basilisk_ii_prefs editing using GTK+ 2, but the executable gave a sigsegv error when the emulation started.

Most source does not recognize GTK+ 2 when configuring, so I tried compiling (&make install) GTK+ 1.2 and GLIB under Scratchbox to give the BasiliskII executable the GUI frontend, but GLIB would not compile.

t3h 2008-02-10 04:43

The segfault problem when it's running is normal, as it actually puts the Mac OS in the actual address it allocates. If the Mac OS tries to access hardware directly, most parts are patched (BasiliskII doesn't emulate the hardware, it patches the Mac OS to make it think the hardware is there, and grabs the values from the driver).

And I spent an entire day hacking the other one up to make it go (it involved grabbing bits from the GP2x version).

This one seems to be working OK. I got somewhere into hildonizing the last one.

There was a discussion on the maemo mailing lists about how to get the icon to show up for some X apps, and it involved creating a .desktop file specifying the wm class.

/usr/share/applications/hildon/basiliskii.desktop
Code:

[Desktop Entry]                                                                                                                                                     
Name=BasiliskII                                                                                                                                                     
StartupWMClass=BasiliskII

Works alright. It now has an icon in the task manager and can be minimized, put into the background etc without losing it.

Also, the biggest screen size you can have in non fullscreen is 720x420 pixels (win/720/420).

As for the non-behaving configuration, I'll write my own. The stock one isn't terribly useful anyway.

bunanson 2008-02-10 05:48

Would some of you kind enough to write down some step by step guide, pleeese?

I dl the BasiliskII09.tgz -> BailiskII, and .basilisk_ii_prefs and I also got the Quad650.zip. Any help?

Thanks,

bun

debernardis 2008-02-10 10:28

Bun, get this tutorial: http://www.geocities.com/game_master107/howtoemulateamac.html

My setup is the following:
I have quad650.ram, Starterdisk.hfv and a hd image I called mac-hd, all in /media/mmc1/Emu

I made the hd image with the ubuntu gutsy port of BasiliskII, but the tutorial uses a win software called hfv explorer.

In /home/user I have the BasiliskII executable and the .basilisk_ii_prefs file.
Mine contains:

disk /media/mmc1/Emu/Starterdisk.hfv
disk /media/mmc1/Emu/mac-hd
extfs /
screen win/720/420
seriala <none>
serialb <none>
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /media/mmc1/Emu/QUAD650.ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 209387520
frameskip 0
modelid 14
cpu 4
fpu true
nocdrom true
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer

It's a slight modification of the one from osemutech.

Should work this way. We should experiment, maybe, with keyboard types because "blue" chars on the n810 don't work.

iontruo2 2008-02-10 12:43

This is awesome guys!
I couldn't call myself a 'mac fanboy', but back in the day 7.5 and 8 OS's were pleasantly fast and rarely did I ever see a bomb(crash). A lot of the office abilities were already well done and I lived next to COREL. ;)
I'm just an informed user newb, but I had to put in my kudos to you guys for this endeavour. :D

Keep in mind as well, there was also a great tool for interface customizing called "Kaleidoscope" than ran clean in the OS. It allowed for a large array of modifications to the windows etc.

http://kaleidoscope.net/schemes/schemespotlight.shtml
Boilerplate had been my favorite of all time.

Anyone need an original OS? I may even have ol 7.5->8.5 in home storage somewhere.

iontruo2 2008-02-10 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by debernardis (Post 139693)
Seems fun, I'd like to try. I have never used a mac!
And, a-ehm, are there on the internet any dirty and immoral places where pushers pass you a copy of a mac rom without you owning the real thing? (My questions is only to know what I have *not* to visit with my browser in order to go straight to heavens after my departure). Maybe torrents?

Wouldn't quite know how to do that but I could find out.
And hey Apple totally completely utterly abandoned that OS to the dust heap of history while it still had loads of usability. I feel no hesitation to share any of the ol Mac stuff. :cool:

I would bow in homage to the geek masters here if they can make this more accessible. :D

debernardis 2008-02-10 17:32

Now well, some advice from veteran mac users would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe I've been impulsive, but I am likely to buy a vintage office 4.5.1 (if no-one overrides my ebay bid). Are there any other useful thing which may complement the NIT software? What did Corel do? I am an absolute noob to macs.

qwerty12 2008-02-10 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by iontruo2 (Post 140517)
This is awesome guys!
Anyone need an original OS? I may even have ol 7.5->8.5 in home storage somewhere.

I would love you :P, if you could get os 8.0/8.1 please? (I've looked to no avail)

Thanks.

OSEmuTech 2008-02-10 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by debernardis (Post 140598)
Maybe I've been impulsive, but I am likely to buy a vintage office 4.5.1 (if no-one overrides my ebay bid). Are there any other useful thing which may complement the NIT software? What did Corel do? I am an absolute noob to macs.

Corel released WordPerfect 3.5e for free to Mac users a number of years ago. After about a year they decided to take it off their website for some reason. But some 3rd party sites still host the download. It's a rather nice word processor (I bought the CDs long ago - DOH!) job4031 has a link to a download site in post #17.

My neglected Macintosh Emulation Station website has a lot of 68k Mac freeware, shareware, and demos that works on Basilisk II, including games. It also has tips for using Basilisk II on Windows. I've been running a forum about Mac and PC emulators and virtual machines since 1999 as well.

http://mes.emuunlim.org:88/
http://mes.emuunlim.org:88/software/index.htm
http://forums.delphiforums.com/MacEmulation

BTW: I somehow corrupted my 8 GB SDHC card yesterday and have spent 8 hours (!) trying to format it. There goes my day off. :(

bunanson 2008-02-10 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSEmuTech (Post 140614)
BTW: I somehow corrupted my 8 GB SDHC card yesterday and have spent 8 hours (!) trying to format it. There goes my day off. :(

If all fails, try this, http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

It worked for me.

bun

OSEmuTech 2008-02-10 18:54

All else failed. That program worked! OMG! Thank you so much!!!!

job4031 2008-02-10 20:49

debernardis, thanks for the tip. For some reason it didn't want to run from my sd card. I used sudo because I thought it might be a permissions problem. And I highly recommend wordperfect, it is free and Word paled in comparison at the time. WP will even let you save in Word 6.0 format. WP 3.5e is still used today and has an active support at wordperfectmac yahoo group.

OSEmuTech great work! Is it possible to shift the Basilisk screen up to get rid of the white boarder at the top? Also how do I go about getting xkbd? Wasn't able to find install instructions in this forum or in google.

Keep up the outstanding code.

OSEmuTech 2008-02-10 21:09

I noticed the white border at the top of the emulation too. I wish I had time and the development experience for tweaking the code. It's always been a rather complicated program as it's like a Mac built via code to run on other operating systems. Hopefully t3h can knock that out as well when he tries getting the sticky mouse fixed and full screen working (that would be awesome). I'm going to check whether full screen currently works once I get my SDHC card setup again.

The build I created uses native Xwindows and esd calls instead of SDL for display and sound. SDL is known to slow things down, which is another reason why this build is faster.

xkbd can be grabbed from Arnim's page: http://pupnik.de/xkbd.html

It's also possible to run DOS (fast) and Windows (slow) via Arnim's DOSBox port for Maemo: http://pupnik.de/dosbox.html

Check out the thread about DOSbox for more tips and alternative keyboard layouts for xkbd: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=5686

http://fkwjcw.bay.livefilestore.com/...0dbwin9503.png

bluesubaru 2008-02-10 23:01

Looks like xkbd is not supported on OS2008. Is that correct?

OSEmuTech 2008-02-10 23:10

That is incorrect. ;)

Go into Red Pill Mode to install the relevant packages under OS 2008.

http://fkwjcw.bay.livefilestore.com/...athematica.png

OSEmuTech 2008-02-10 23:29

PS: Make sure you install these debs first or you will get dependency errors.

http://repository.maemo.org/pool/mae..._6.5.4_all.deb

http://repository.maemo.org/pool/mae....2-3_armel.deb

iontruo2 2008-02-11 02:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by debernardis (Post 140598)

I guess it has been answered, but yes Corel produced Wordperfect which for many in business was considered better than 'Word'. There was also a full office suite and I have a message out to a friend who is still working for them and may have older software. Corel also produced DRAW and other drawing and image/photo programs, but they might not be suitable for the tablet. At one time they were really trying to chase Adobe and aligned a lot of their products in harmony with Adobe standards.

iontruo2 2008-02-11 02:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty12 (Post 140605)
I would love you :P, if you could get os 8.0/8.1 please? (I've looked to no avail)

Thanks.

O.k. friend, have to hunt for it in my old storage. I have a newborn baby so time is a little limited. ;) I may have a second original copy of OS8.

If not, is it possible to burn a duplicate of an OS cd? Never tried that before.

t3h 2008-02-11 03:13

If anyone wants to know how Basilisk II actually works, this is an interesting read: http://basilisk.cebix.net/TECH