maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Multimedia (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [ANNOUNCE] QSpot, a Qt-based Spotify client based on libspotify (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55589)

aenbacka 2010-06-08 19:21

[ANNOUNCE] QSpot, a Qt-based Spotify client based on libspotify

5 Attachment(s)
I hereby want to announce a Qt-based Spotify client for the N900/Maemo 5, called QSpot. The client is based on the official libspotify API. QSpot is now available for download from the extras-devel / testing / stable repositories, as well as from the project garage page at http://qspot.garage.maemo.org (standard disclaimers apply!).

Current features of the client are:

* Playlist and play queue (Now Playing) views
* Support for the Starred tracks playlist
* Search functionality
* Album and artist views (accesible via longpress on a track in play queue / playlist views)
* Play queue shuffle supported
* Scrobbling support for Last.fm
* Settings dialog for e.g., search and music buffering parameters
* Playback control via headset
* Landscape and portrait modes
* Current language support: English, Finnish, German, Dutch, and French.
* Now also supports offline synchronisation of playlists (i.e., offline mode)

Note that QSpot REQUIRES a Spotify PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION!

Some screenshots of the QSpot client in action can be seen below.

Feel free to try it out, and any feedback etc. are more than welcome! :)

QSpot source is hosted at http://gitorious.org/qspot.

Update 8.4.12: QSpot version 1.1.0-1 is now also available from the Extras repository (http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/qspot/).

phellarv 2010-06-08 19:33

Re: [ANNOUNCE] QSpot, a Qt-based Spotify client based on libopenspotify

Thanks alot - This was a nice Spotify-client.
1 question though - Does libopenspotify support offline playlists?

aenbacka 2010-06-08 19:59

Thank you very much for your feedback! :) Libopenspotify does not support offline playlists at the moment (the same is also the case for the official spotify library and despotify). Even though it could quite easily be added to the library / client, such a feature would allow to download and save music directly from Spotify, and thus would not be very popular with Spotify.

Dave999 2010-06-08 20:26

I can give you some first impressions. like the gui and also that you can see when Qspot is loading/buffer sign/serching. I really like that you can change tracks with the keyboard. Looks and works pretty good already.

issues:
*press more than one time on the arrows(change track) will result in that the client closing.
*dubble press on a track will result in that the client closing.
*scrolling with keyboard and than fast pressing enter to start a song, oftan stops qspot to stop playing any track. you have to restart qspot before you will be able to play a any track(also get segment fault a few times when doing this)

my feature list ;)
* sorting would be nice
* missing row of most played(sort on most played from an artist).

aenbacka 2010-06-08 21:01

thanx for your comments and feedback! Fumctions currently under development are sorting and e.g., album and artist views. There still exist a know issue with libopenspotify related to switching tracks too quick, also this is being looked into. Connection speed seems to be related to this, what connection are you using?

Bratag 2010-06-08 21:03

Looks good - pity its still a Euro only think. Like tvcatchup and iplayer - sigh its the worst thing about being an expat.

Dave999 2010-06-08 21:11

Ok. great.
Using 3G, can switch to my wifi

EDIT: yes, my third issue was not easy to reproduce with faster connection.:D But I can make the track stop, but just change to another track and play again. That is not possible with my 3G connection.

Ministeri 2010-06-08 21:19

Amazing work. Working excellently already. Easily the best Spotify for N900 so far.

Minor glitches fixed, few features added and little work on UI and it looks almost commercial.

Thank you for this app.

slender 2010-06-08 21:23

Heh. I donīt have premium account but in login page at least for user name first letter is capitalized so is it capitalized for password also. If so then itīs a bug :) Also it would be nice to not capitalize usernames first letter.

cjp 2010-06-08 21:49

This works quite nicely. Buffering of the song before play was really quick! I'm using 3G. I really like that it shows how far it has buffered the song.

I also like the appearance somwhat and the logic behind the placement of buttons.

jacobkorf 2010-06-09 06:49

Nice program! Kinda like footify. Maybe you can work together with joorin to create a nice program, which will definately win the summer of code award:)

aenbacka 2010-06-09 06:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by slender (Post 706105)
Heh. I donīt have premium account but in login page at least for user name first letter is capitalized so is it capitalized for password also. If so then itīs a bug :) Also it would be nice to not capitalize usernames first letter.

It is true that the username is capitalized, but this can easily be fixed. I have however noted that it seems that the Spotify username is not case-sensitive. Thank you very much for the feedback! :)

aenbacka 2010-06-09 07:02

Thank you all for the comments you have made about this initial alpha version, I am very glad that you like it! :) To collaborate with Joorin also seems like a good idea..:) The problem with music playback stopping etc. when switching tracks on a slower network connection (e.g., 3G) is a problem with the libopenspotify library, and it is being looked into (synchronization / threading issues within the lib). The current version works best on faster internet connections.

AkiL 2010-06-09 07:51

I have tried QSpot using company wlan (which requires certain proxy, when using the windows-client of spotify) and my 3G internet connection. Either way, login always fails with the message:

"Error:Some other error occured, and it is permanent (e.g. trying to relogin will not help)."

I verified that my account is working, and I have the correct password, using windows client. Any ideas on this? I will need to test on my home wlan still, but meanwhile, all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks though for this, the screenshots and user comments are promising!

aenbacka 2010-06-09 08:12

I have also noted said problem at some point, however it seems to be an intermittent error, and thus not occuring very often. It could be due to some temporary problem with communication with the Spotify backend when the session is initiated and trying to login. In case you are able to reproduce this problem systematically, any information would be appreciated. I will also try to look into this issue some more. Thank you very much for your comment! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkiL (Post 706735)
I have tried QSpot using company wlan (which requires certain proxy, when using the windows-client of spotify) and my 3G internet connection. Either way, login always fails with the message:

"Error:Some other error occured, and it is permanent (e.g. trying to relogin will not help)."

I verified that my account is working, and I have the correct password, using windows client. Any ideas on this? I will need to test on my home wlan still, but meanwhile, all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks though for this, the screenshots and user comments are promising!

FarmerF 2010-06-09 12:41

Thanks for the app. I found however that I can not login...

Using company wlan (windows or wine client works without any settings) it just keeps connecting (>5 mins now)

Using 3g it tries to connect for about 20 seconds and then says can not connect to backend. (empty login has the same effect)

Ill try with my home wlan later today and am most willing to supply you with any more info that might help (footify and Qtify do not seem to work either so it might be a network or lib problem)

AkiL 2010-06-09 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkiL (Post 706735)
I will need to test on my home wlan still, but meanwhile, all suggestions are welcome.

Tested on my home network, not working here either. Same error. Windows client can connect.

aenbacka 2010-06-09 14:16

This seems like an issue that needs to be investigated further. I assume that you are using premium accounts? Do you always get the same error message, or is it sometimes different?

FarmerF 2010-06-09 16:57

tested on home network and it does work here. *cheers*

Yes premium account, the error i got at work was always the same on 3g and I never got an error on wlan it just stayed at the start screen with the turning green circle thing.

I just tried at home and works now.... possibly there is a difference between first use (new account) and reconnecting? will test wlan at work again tomorrow to see if that works as well now.

AkiL 2010-06-09 16:58

Free account. And so far always the same error. Anyway I can get debug out of QSpot?

Dave999 2010-06-09 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkiL (Post 707484)
Free account. And so far always the same error. Anyway I can get debug out of QSpot?

You need premium account.

aenbacka 2010-06-09 19:36

Thank you for the feedback, I am happy to hear that you were able to get QSpot to work. I hope you will like it..:) It should not be any difference between initial login and subsequent logins. Things like use of proxys and firewalls can cause problems with connecting to the Spotify backend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerF (Post 707482)
tested on home network and it does work here. *cheers*

Yes premium account, the error i got at work was always the same on 3g and I never got an error on wlan it just stayed at the start screen with the turning green circle thing.

I just tried at home and works now.... possibly there is a difference between first use (new account) and reconnecting? will test wlan at work again tomorrow to see if that works as well now.

AkiL 2010-06-09 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 707534)
You need premium account.

Oh, didn't notice that on the first post. Only now did I see that. Sorry for all the fuss.

FarmerF 2010-06-10 08:28

Well it probably is some proxy / firewall thing, retested and it still doesn't work here. Not sure why the official client can connect though...

3g works fine now, though I had some problems with it on the road but that most likely is due to the moderate coverage here.

I do have one request. I think pressing pause also stops buffering. So far I have not had a problem with buffering but if the buffer runs out I would like to pause so it can fill up again.

aenbacka 2010-06-10 08:49

It sounds like some problem with firewall / proxy. I am glad to hear that you got it working over 3G as well. The client buffering buffering works in such way, that it always buffers certain amount of audio data in advance, and if you pause the playback it will stop buffering at some point when the buffer has reached max size (around 35 secs of data at the moment). However, when you resume playback, and the playback nears the end of the buffer, buffering will be automatically resumed. I have considered integrating the buffer size parameters in the client settings section (which is currently under development). Thank you for the feedback! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerF (Post 708376)
Well it probably is some proxy / firewall thing, retested and it still doesn't work here. Not sure why the official client can connect though...

3g works fine now, though I had some problems with it on the road but that most likely is due to the moderate coverage here.

I do have one request. I think pressing pause also stops buffering. So far I have not had a problem with buffering but if the buffer runs out I would like to pause so it can fill up again.

FarmerF 2010-06-10 16:05

dont mention it, its in my best interest that you know of any problems I experience with your app :D

jlpils 2010-06-10 17:08

very nice app :)
I have a problem that it some times stop playing. Need to close the app and then start it again.

aenbacka 2010-06-10 18:19

I am happy to hear that you like the QSpot..:) Your feedback is very valuable so that I will be able to continue to improve it. The problem with playback sometimes stopping is known, it is related to libopenspotify and it is under active investigation. It seems that it happen more frequently on slower internet connections (e.g., 3G). What connection type have you been using when you have experienced problems? And is a re-start always required?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlpils (Post 709115)
very nice app :)
I have a problem that it some times stop playing. Need to close the app and then start it again.

Dave999 2010-06-10 21:55

If u start a track from playlist or search. there is no way to reach the area where you playing the tracks(with play button) without restart track from playlist/search.

would be nice.

EDIT: found the way buttom right. would be nice with some more ways to aschive this. thx

aenbacka 2010-06-11 08:58

It might be that the method of getting back to the "Now Playing" view is not that clear, I will have to think about some alternative approaches. Do you have in mind some other alternative method of achieving this that would be more convenient? Would the addition of e.g., a keyboard shortcut be an alternative?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 709537)
If u start a track from playlist or search. there is no way to reach the area where you playing the tracks(with play button) without restart track from playlist/search.

would be nice.

EDIT: found the way buttom right. would be nice with some more ways to aschive this. thx

Fearportal 2010-06-11 19:50

Hi!
It looks awesome and I appreciate your hard work but I have a small problem here. :/

When I try to download and install it, it says:
(translated from Finnish)
"Qspot could not be installed.
Conflict between software packages: libqt4-opengl (4.5.3~git20090723-0maemo6+0m5)
Maemo 5 (2.2009.51-1)
libqt4-sql-sqlite (4.5.3~git20090723-0maemo6+0m5)
libqt4-sql (4.5.3~git20090723-0maemo6+0m5)
libqt4-svg (4.5.3~git20090723-0maemo6+0m5)
libqt4-network (4.5.3~git20090723-0maemo6+0m5)

Any help is appreciated! Thank you! :)

Dave999 2010-06-11 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by aenbacka (Post 710061)
It might be that the method of getting back to the "Now Playing" view is not that clear, I will have to think about some alternative approaches. Do you have in mind some other alternative method of achieving this that would be more convenient? Would the addition of e.g., a keyboard shortcut be an alternative?

No need now that I know how to do it. :) there is more important things to work on But a keyboard shortcut would be great.

aenbacka 2010-06-11 21:03

QSpot depends on the Qt 4.6 version that is now part of PR1.2. It seems based on the installation error messages that you have older Qt libs installed. What firmware version have you installed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearportal (Post 711081)
Hi!
It looks awesome and I appreciate your hard work but I have a small problem here. :/

When I try to download and install it, it says:
(translated from Finnish)
"Qspot could not be installed.
Conflict between software packages: libqt4-opengl (4.5.3~git20090723-0maemo6+0m5)
Maemo 5 (2.2009.51-1)
libqt4-sql-sqlite (4.5.3~git20090723-0maemo6+0m5)
libqt4-sql (4.5.3~git20090723-0maemo6+0m5)
libqt4-svg (4.5.3~git20090723-0maemo6+0m5)
libqt4-network (4.5.3~git20090723-0maemo6+0m5)

Any help is appreciated! Thank you! :)

fixie 2010-06-21 18:55

Thanks for the great app!

Is is possible to add last.fm scrobbler support?

Edit: http://mafw-lastfm.garage.maemo.org/

aenbacka 2010-06-21 21:01

Thank you for your comment, I am happy to hear that you like QSpot! :) The next version is now very close, hopefully within the next days..:) I will have to look into the last.fm scrobbler support, it might definitely be a possibility.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixie (Post 723979)
Thanks for the great app!

Is is possible to add last.fm scrobbler support?

Edit: http://mafw-lastfm.garage.maemo.org/

Tiboric 2010-06-21 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by aenbacka (Post 724129)
Thank you for your comment, I am happy to hear that you like QSpot! :) The next version is now very close, hopefully within the next days..:) I will have to look into the last.fm scrobbler support, it might definitely be a possibility.

Can't wait! really love this app, been using it for some time now and is all I use for music on my phone at the moment.(might even delete my mp3 collection)

aenbacka 2010-06-22 08:58

I am glad to hear that you like the app, thank you for your comments! :) I am always trying to improve QSpot, and hopefully you will like the new version as well..:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiboric (Post 724134)
Can't wait! really love this app, been using it for some time now and is all I use for music on my phone at the moment.(might even delete my mp3 collection)

Dave999 2010-06-22 18:27

looking forward to the new version. Have you solved the problem with double pressing on any track/button or no time for that yet?

aenbacka 2010-06-22 19:36

Hello,

The next version should be available any minute now from extras-devel and the project garage page. This version has mostly focused on the UI, I plan to investigate the library related issues (e.g, double pressing problems etc.) in the next release(s)..:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 725238)
looking forward to the new version. Have you solved the problem with double pressing on any track/button or no time for that yet?

aenbacka 2010-06-22 19:45

I hereby announce the latest version of QSpot (0.0.3-1), which should now be available from the extras-devel repository as well as from the project garage page. This version focus mostly on UI changes and misc. fixes. Changelog below:

* Major update to the application UI
* Search now returns max. 500 tracks (previously max. 200)
* Search View is now by default sorted first by artist, then album and finally by track
* Both playlist and search views can now be sorted by track, artist or album (ascending / descending) by clicking on the column corresponding headers
* Misc. fixes

I thank you all for the valuable feedback and comments that I have received, and I hope that you will like the new version! :) As always, any feedback is welcome!

Last but not least, I want to tank Markus (markusm on tmo) for the invaluable graphical design assistance he has provided for the latest QSpot version..:)