maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] cuteTube - A feature-rich YouTube client (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65854)

marxian 2010-11-18 22:20

[Announce] cuteTube - A feature-rich YouTube client

I am pleased to announce the first release of cuteTube, my YouTube client for the N900. Features include:
  • Browse, search, play and download YouTube, Dailymotion and Vimeo videos.
  • Rate videos and view/add comments.
  • Share videos via Twitter and Facebook.
  • Manage your YouTube/Dailymotion/Vimeo account(s). You can add multiple accounts and switch between them dynamically.
  • Create, edit and view your playlists, subscriptions and favourites.
  • Create an 'on the go' playback queue.
  • Full auto-rotation support in all windows and dialogs.

UPDATE - 24/03/13:

Version 1.7.1 is now available from extras-devel. Changelog:

* Fixed error in dismissing progress dialog when using external video player.

Maharadja 2010-11-18 22:31

Re: [Announce] cuteTube - A feature-rich YouTube client

Wow, looks very nice! I Like the way you made the main menu like the mediaplayer. Ill try it soon!

talonz 2010-11-18 22:32

yeah this looks really nice thanks gonna try it out in a moment

DaSilva 2010-11-18 22:45

Looks like the best YouTube player for Maemo!
Is it possible to select the quality (resolution like 360p, 480p, 720p etc.)?

marxian 2010-11-18 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaSilva (Post 877464)
Looks like the best YouTube player for Maemo!
Is it possible to select the quality (resolution like 360p, 480p, 720p etc.)?

Thanks. At the moment cuteTube plays/downloads the mp4 stream (fmt 18). I'm not sure that it would be practical to attempt playback of the highest quality streams, but I could provide an option to select higher quality for downloads.

marxian 2010-11-18 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maharadja (Post 877447)
Wow, looks very nice! I Like the way you made the main menu like the mediaplayer. Ill try it soon!

I'm not very imaginative when it comes to UI, so I just copied mediaplayer. I need better icons, though you can at least see my crappy icons in portrait mode. ;)

CepiPerez 2010-11-18 23:10

wow this is really great!
thank you!

btw: get a free dropbox account for the next time. it has direct download and no wait

cincibluer6 2010-11-18 23:10

Looks good. After I get done installing nitdroid, I'll have to give this a shot.

ddwalker 2010-11-18 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 877474)
Thanks. At the moment cuteTube plays/downloads the mp4 stream (fmt 18). I'm not sure that it would be practical to attempt playback of the highest quality streams, but I could provide an option to select higher quality for downloads.

fmt 18 is 360p. Is it possible to playback 480p (fmt 35 or 43)? The 480p video has a horizontal size of 854. I guess you can trim a little to fit to the 800 pixel of N900 display.

uhbhatti88 2010-11-18 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 877474)

this would be brilliant, thanks much in advance!

marxian 2010-11-18 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddwalker (Post 877489)
fmt 18 is 360p. Is it possible to playback 480p (fmt 35 or 43)? The 480p video has a horizontal size of 854. I guess you can trim a little to fit to the 800 pixel of N900 display.

I'll experiment with those formats and see how it turns out. I could always allow users to set the format themselves, just so long as they don't complain when they get 'buffering' every two seconds. :D

bakuur 2010-11-18 23:30

testing it right now
and im not exagerating when i say this is my new fav. app!

bulelet 2010-11-19 01:23

its saying im missing python packages.
where do i get those?

i like this.
this is good.
i like it.

bulelet 2010-11-19 01:34

ah man!
help me!

if this gets going on my phone the first video ill play is billie pipers because we want to and jam to it!!
nyahahaha

dannycamps 2010-11-19 02:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 877499)
I'll experiment with those formats and see how it turns out. I could always allow users to set the format themselves, just so long as they don't complain when they get 'buffering' every two seconds. :D

Hello,

The app launches fine on my phone but when I select any option (i.e. most viewed, etc...) it just goes to the next screen and searches endlessly without bringing back any results.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-DJ

seridyan 2010-11-19 02:29

Nice app!!

I'm having troubles with some videos, so i am wondering if it supports flash 10. It says "Playing 'xxxxx'", when nothing plays at all.
It would be nice that if you pause the video it will keep loading it. I hate when the video gets paused waiting for the buffer.

WereCatf 2010-11-19 03:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddwalker (Post 877489)

480p video should do just fine on the N900 display so it'd make sense for cuteTube to default to that instead, and have perhaps an option in preferences or somewhere for selecting lower resolution for those whose bandwidth ain't enough to stream 480p.

Just my 2c.

mobilefan 2010-11-19 03:20

[QUOTE=marxian;877439]I am pleased to announce the first release of cuteTube, my YouTube client for the N900. Features include:
  • Browse, search, play and download YouTube videos. Media Player and MPlayer are currently supported for playback, with Media Player giving the best performance in my tests.
  • Rate videos and view/add comments.
  • Manage your YouTube account(s). You can add multiple accounts and switch between them dynamically.
  • Create, edit and view your playlists, subscriptions and favourites.
  • Create an 'on the go' playback queue, which can also be saved as a YouTube playlist.
  • Full auto-rotation support in all windows and dialogs.

Looks nice, can't wait to try it.

Question, after you search for a certain topic and the results comes out, is there a way to sort the results by "Upload Date", "Relavance", "View Count", and "Rating"? Having that option makes it helpful, cause I would like to see newest videos for a specific topic and not stuff uploaded years ago.

Thanks.

marxian 2010-11-19 03:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by WereCatf (Post 877593)
480p video should do just fine on the N900 display so it'd make sense for cuteTube to default to that instead, and have perhaps an option in preferences or somewhere for selecting lower resolution for those whose bandwidth ain't enough to stream 480p.

Just my 2c.

I get 'codec not supported' on the 480p formats using media player. They will play in mplayer, but the performance is poor, and mplayer complains about the cpu being too slow.

I believe the Android YouTube client (and gPodder) uses the same stream that cuteTube uses, and with good reason it seems.

marxian 2010-11-19 03:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobilefan (Post 877596)

Looks nice, can't wait to try it.

Question, after you search for a certain topic and the results comes out, is there a way to sort the results by "Upload Date", "Relavance", "View Count", and "Rating"? Having that option makes it helpful, cause I would like to see newest videos for a specific topic and not stuff uploaded years ago.

Thanks.

By default, the results are sorted by date published (newest first). I may add an option in the settings to allow the user to change that. I'm attempting to strike the right balance between features and potential bugs/complications.

marxian 2010-11-19 03:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannycamps (Post 877581)
Hello,

The app launches fine on my phone but when I select any option (i.e. most viewed, etc...) it just goes to the next screen and searches endlessly without bringing back any results.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-DJ

Can you tell me what type of internet connection you are using please?

WereCatf 2010-11-19 03:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 877599)
I get 'codec not supported' on the 480p formats using media player.

That's odd, they should be supported just fine. Atleast whenever I play those 480p videos on MediaBox's youtube client they work just fine. You sure you got all the extra codecs installed?

marxian 2010-11-19 03:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulelet (Post 877564)
its saying im missing python packages.
where do i get those?

i like this.
this is good.
i like it.

You can get them using the Application Manager. Or by entering
Code:

apt-get install python2.5 python2.5-qt4-core python2.5-qt4-gui

bulelet 2010-11-19 04:16

awesome! great!

nicholes 2010-11-19 04:19

just installed it! first impression is cool, working pefactly in downloading videos.have not look deeper as yet but i have subscribed the thread to get updates etc.at the moment,THANKS! cheers

Airtux 2010-11-19 04:32

Thanks!

i have tested it's good youtube player! but not find all video in youtube!

ejasmudar 2010-11-19 04:40

Awesome app with great features. Lovin it. But I do have a small problem: One download worked 3 others did not. It stays in the queued stage. Any solutions?

bulelet 2010-11-19 04:52

so yea ive installed it successfuly BUT i cant launch it.
all i get is a blank screen then it disappears.
im unlucky today.

how do you fix this?

dannycamps 2010-11-19 05:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 877603)
Can you tell me what type of internet connection you are using please?

Hi,

I have been using Wifi but you got me thinking so I just switched over to 3G and it worked. Odd - but I am cool with that. App looks great.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-DJ

bulelet 2010-11-19 05:31

does it matter whether you have US version or the global version?
i recently flashed my phone both emmc and firmware, i used the latest vanilla and pr1.3 US version in nokia repositories.

cutetube wont start with me, it just gives a blank screen then crashes

marxian 2010-11-19 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejasmudar (Post 877619)
Awesome app with great features. Lovin it. But I do have a small problem: One download worked 3 others did not. It stays in the queued stage. Any solutions?

The code that grabs the video url was not robust. Some videos, particularly those that YouTube have flagged as containing copyrighted content, did not work. I've improved it, and it seems to have solved the problem. I need to do more testing, though.

marxian 2010-11-19 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulelet (Post 877639)
does it matter whether you have US version or the global version?
i recently flashed my phone both emmc and firmware, i used the latest vanilla and pr1.3 US version in nokia repositories.

cutetube wont start with me, it just gives a blank screen then crashes

I'm using the global PR1.3 firmware, but I can't imagine it making a difference, so long as you have the dependencies installed.

afaq 2010-11-19 14:15

The host site seems to have reached its "hourly traffic limit". Can it be hosted on something more friendly? :)

extendedping 2010-11-19 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 877602)
By default, the results are sorted by date published (newest first). I may add an option in the settings to allow the user to change that. I'm attempting to strike the right balance between features and potential bugs/complications.

This sort by is actually the thing I want the most out of any youtube viewing application.

Robokopp 2010-11-19 14:49

it looks nice :)
please integrate a function to download the audio source of a video to mp3

illo1977 2010-11-19 14:55

I'm using it and it's cool :)

Only one thing. There are some video that doesn't start playing. I tape on "Play Video" but Media Player doesn't start. I did some testing and saw that the problem is, in my case, only the videos with special characters in the title like: ç, è, é, ò, à et simila. I hope this can help you

marxian 2010-11-19 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by afaq (Post 877943)
The host site seems to have reached its "hourly traffic limit". Can it be hosted on something more friendly? :)

I'll be posting an updated .deb soon, with a couple of fixes, so I'll host it using dropbox then.

afaq 2010-11-19 15:02

Thank you.

Plus one for the ability to download/play videos at 480p.

Also if you want/need help polishing up the icons let me know.

plaban 2010-11-19 15:22

Looking nice.I'll try it.:)

ivnvir 2010-11-19 15:29

just great man!
thanks a lot!