maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   sailfish on our n9/n950 thingy... (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88464)

Waynder 2012-12-31 15:44

sailfish on our n9/n950 thingy...

i know that jolla said that they wont officialy support it but that they will encourage develepoers to make a ROM that we can use on our phones...

was there any progress on that matter?

soryuuha 2012-12-31 15:46

Re: sailfish on our n9/n950 thingy...

sailfish OS + jolla UI not even final

coderus 2012-12-31 16:37

oh dear, oh lol... where you read jolla wont support N9 and N950?
jolla will make firmware images with OS and kernel for N9. without some features like Android ACL and some hardware graphics acceleration.

N9/50 will be supported unofficially and nightly updates only. but hey, new ways of hacking new opensource os!

TheN9er 2012-12-31 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1309483)
jolla will make firmware images with OS and kernel for N9. without some features like Android ACL and some hardware graphics acceleration.

N9/50 will be supported unofficially and nightly updates only. but hey, new ways of hacking new opensource os!

The only thing that would make my phone a little more useful would be Android ACL ... Hopefully that will happen in some other way.

coderus 2012-12-31 16:54

android ACL will be only on Jolla Phones, not in opensource firmwares.

TheN9er 2012-12-31 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1309490)

I know :) but I'm hoping somehow, somewhere, by someone/s, a way can be implemented into MeeGo. :D

khan.orak 2012-12-31 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1309490)

Is that a "Maybe" or Sure shot?

Waynder 2013-01-01 13:09

good... i learned something... =)

so... is there any time frame mentiond when could this be possible?

Dave999 2013-01-01 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by khan.orak (Post 1309493)
Is that a "Maybe" or Sure shot?

Its a maybe and not yet clear how well it works or if it's working. Jolla is in troll mode atm.

Wait until first report from users.

herpderp 2013-01-01 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1309483)

Source!?

Where did they ever say they'll support the N9, or even the N950? The latter wasn't even supported by Nokia themselves!

Eztran 2013-01-01 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by herpderp (Post 1309709)
Source!?

Where did they ever say they'll support the N9, or even the N950? The latter wasn't even supported by Nokia themselves!

They haven't. In fact, they've made it very clear they will not officially support the N9 and N950. They're leaving it up to the community, though I think they said they would support devs aiming to port Sailfish.

icecream 2013-01-01 14:22

I thought they won't support the N9/N950 but they'll let the community build roms for these devices. I hope ICL will be in it as it's pretty much the only reason why I would try Sailfish on my N9.

Ken-Young 2013-01-01 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eztran (Post 1309712)
They haven't. In fact, they've made it very clear they will not officially support the N9 and N950. They're leaving it up to the community, though I think they said they would support devs aiming to port Sailfish.

Why would they "support devs aiming to port Sailfish" to the N950 when they have obviously done that port themselves? Virtually every Sailfish demo video was made using an N950. Why force others to duplicate work that has already been done?

Eztran 2013-01-01 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken-Young (Post 1309753)
Why would they "support devs aiming to port Sailfish" to the N950 when they have obviously done that port themselves? Virtually every Sailfish demo video was made using an N950. Why force others to duplicate work that has already been done?

The image they've been using for demonstrations is nowhere near complete or suitable for daily use. I believe they said they would release it eventually (I may remember wrong) but it still needs far more work. They're only using N950's as a matter of convenience, until they have their own devices.

waldo 2013-01-01 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken-Young (Post 1309753)

They are using the 950 since they mostly all had them to work on already, and they have said many times they can't and won't port to the n9 since it is a nokia device, not a developer device. They can't because it would be illegal, and they won't because they are working on new devices. With the code, we are free to try it, but they cannot support it.

jecargo22 2013-01-02 00:52

And lets imagine, we will get our copy of sailfish running on our N9. What applications we will be able to run on it if we want to move on from Harmattan OS.

Without ACL, what ecosystem will be used? N900 apps? Harmattan apps? Mer apps (if any)? This is a bit confusing, this is suppose to come from the same Maemo OS origin/team but so far so much fragmentation. How many excellent applications for n900 not being ported to n9, will be the same for sailfish devices? sight

What is the point of other OS based on Maemo/MeeGo/Mer if none of the previous applications can be easily ported or they wont work in different Maemo based family devices? I thought Qt was going to avoid this from happening, not to make it worst...

sorry for the rant, perhaps i am too ignorant to understand the problem here.

happy new year to all

Hacker 2013-01-02 01:33

I agree Waldo. I think that the support issue when it comes to the N9/50 is mostly about legality and contract concerns--Jolla cannot officially support us. But I think that they will do something short of that and make sure that the N9/50 will have a Sailfish experience. They have indicated as much. The real question is about the Android ACL and how long it'll take to get THAT on the N9/50.

waldo 2013-01-02 02:17

Yeah its going to be open source, so I'm sure someone will port it, if people can dual boot android I'm sure someone will do it with sailfish. But I'm more exciting about their device than putting it on the already aging n9.

To be honest if it wasn't for the lower ram, I would rather port it to the 808 than the n9.

Hurrian 2013-01-02 14:08

Don't quote me on this, but there have been ideas being thrown around about packaging the possible Jolla binary components for N9/50 users who want to use Sailfish.

One of them being the "ubuntu-restricted-extras"/Debian non-free archive approach, where the repository for Jolla binaries components is added, and the packages are installed (at the user's choice, and not pre-packaged into the flashable image).

This approach is comparable to the "GAPPS" package used in certain custom Android ROMs.

HELLASISGREECE 2013-01-02 14:36

If Sailfish was better than Harmattan I would have cared to have it on my N9.
imo, it is inferior.

About the N900 now... Maemo5 is the best OS ever conceived so who cares for anything else

*of course I'll probably try sailfish on a Jolla device sometime in 2013.

taixzo 2013-01-02 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE (Post 1310114)
About the N900 now... Maemo5 is the best OS ever conceived so who cares for anything else

Maemo 5 may have been the best OS ever conceived, but the implementation is less than perfect - there are a lot of hacks to make things work (why can't we upgrade the Python version for example?)

waldo 2013-01-02 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1310135)
Maemo 5 may have been the best OS ever conceived, but the implementation is less than perfect - there are a lot of hacks to make things work (why can't we upgrade the Python version for example?)

The maemo/meego thing is odd, I loved my n900 maybe more than any phone I have ever owned. But my n9 is close, maybe more than the n900. They are just so opposite and great at what they do. The n900 was a mobile computer with a phone tacked on, nokia just screwed up by putting in to small of a battery, and maybe underpowered it. The n9 is a true smartphone and not a computer, and its the best smartphone OS ever made. I did use my laptop less with my n900 than any other time with any other phone. That being said I don't know if I would go back to that after using meego, the ui makes it so fast to get around and use the thing. I'm my ideal world I would have a maemo tablet 7-10" that synced well with my meego phone. But none of that will ever happen, so I'm hoping sailfish will impress me as much as these 2 phones did. And why shouldn't it, its a lot of the same developers, and they don't have nokia to hold them back and give them the scraps for hardware. We might finally see a continuation of our devices that is fully powered for once, and that is what i am really hoping for.

HELLASISGREECE 2013-01-03 16:30

fantastic post!

i will only dissagree with N900 being kid of underpowered.
it was not. it was a true beast back in 2009.

waldo 2013-01-03 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE (Post 1310550)
fantastic post!

i will only dissagree with N900 being kid of underpowered.
it was not. it was a true beast back in 2009.

Yeah you're right there, but for sure screwed up with the battery life, that was my achilles heel with that device, for its time It was a powerhouse. I would love to have this on a 7" tablet with something like gs3 guts or more, android tablets are so clumsy, and as good as ipads are that is totally app based, the Ui is a waste on that big screen. Maemo on modern tablet would be amazing.

patlak 2013-01-03 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldo (Post 1310578)
Yeah you're right there, but for sure screwed up with the battery life, that was my achilles heel with that device, for its time It was a powerhouse. I would love to have this on a 7" tablet with something like gs3 guts or more, android tablets are so clumsy, and as good as ipads are that is totally app based, the Ui is a waste on that big screen. Maemo on modern tablet would be amazing.

Yep, Maemo 5 is a perfect tablet OS. Works on a small screen but also on large. When Honeycomb was presented it was more Maemo 5 than Android. Stupid Nokia, everything they created was godly, but others seemed to appreciate it when Nokia themselves would kill it off.

HELLASISGREECE 2013-01-04 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by patlak (Post 1310583)
Yep, Maemo 5 is a perfect tablet OS. Works on a small screen but also on large. When Honeycomb was presented it was more Maemo 5 than Android. Stupid Nokia, everything they created was godly, but others seemed to appreciate it when Nokia themselves would kill it off.

...And let us not forget the gorgeous Symbian Series 90.

it was stunning, years ahead of the competition (Symbian S60/80, Symbian uiq, WM 2003, etc) but was killed off by Nokia before its debut. Exact same story with Meego Harmattan &N9)

in that case it was the Symbian S90 & 7710.

HELLASISGREECE 2013-01-04 16:37

it died in order to let S60 live unharmed.
maemo5 died in favor of S^1 and N97

meego harmattan died for wp7

enough with the OS-martyrs!! nokia disgusts me

waldo 2013-01-04 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE (Post 1310902)
it died in order to let S60 live unharmed.
maemo5 died in favor of S^1 and N97

meego harmattan died for wp7

enough with the OS-martyrs!! nokia disgusts me

Just the thought of nokia choosing the n97 over the n900 makes you wonder how anyone could possibly make that decision. One is the future and amaing, one is a horrible transition from the past that does not work at all.

HELLASISGREECE 2013-01-04 19:00

The N97 is THE WORST SMARTPHONE Nokia ever produced.
The amount of fail amazes me still...

too bad, because it is qwerty and kinda beautifully looking. but it is plagued with bugs. countless bugs...

It hit the selves summer of 2009 , couple of months prior to N900. we all know how it ended.. we all know the internal "civil-war" between maemo and symbian teams.. and who won

*our only hope is Jolla of course (or an ultra-cool BB10 device)

Chai 2013-01-05 22:08

Just to let you all know, Jolla called for a quick poll to know how many people still own a N9. Go to their facebook page and like and comment. probably they are counting the market reach

MartinK 2013-01-05 23:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1310135)
why can't we upgrade the Python version for example?)

Well, AApo did an optified Python 2.7 port recently. Looks like it was quite difficult due to optification. It doesn't seem to be in Extras yet though.

don_falcone 2013-01-06 00:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chai (Post 1311264)
Just to let you all know, Jolla called for a quick poll to know how many people still own a N9. Go to their facebook page and like and comment. probably they are counting the market reach

On F8ckbook only? *scratches head* This isn't the web you are looking for...

HELLASISGREECE 2013-01-06 12:50

Quote:

I have a N9 but do not use facebook

Fuzzillogic 2013-01-06 13:15

Facebook Jolla, srsly??? Come on, you MUST know many N9 users are tech-savvy and (therefor?) will not have a facebook account. Me included.

Dave999 2013-01-06 13:30

jolla don't like us. They are using twitter and facebook all the time!

so ****ing annoying!

MINKIN2 2013-01-06 13:30

Quote:

And now this is one big flaw with Jolla's "unique" way of handling their customer relations. They should just open an official channel through their website for these kind of polls.

mariusmssj 2013-01-06 13:37

And what about the odd users like me who do use Facebook and Twitter?
I love that I can select any photo on my phone and have it uploaded to my facebook account just in two touches. I really like twitter and facebook integration in the OS.

This is obviously not the case for everyone, It's hard to please everyone

Dave999 2013-01-06 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusmssj (Post 1311512)
And what about the odd users like me who do use Facebook and Twitter?
I love I select any phone and have it uploaded to my facebook account just in two touches. I really like twitter and facebook integration in the OS.

This is obviously not the case for everyone, It's hard to please everyone

you are indeed very odd :)

m4r0v3r 2013-01-06 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic (Post 1311504)
Facebook Jolla, srsly??? Come on, you MUST know many N9 users are tech-savvy and (therefor?) will not have a facebook account. Me included.

thats one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard, I have a facebook account, why? It's free communication since my social groups decided to leave MSN messenger from back in the day.

I have also owned an N9 and N900, theres a difference between understand the risks of something and using it, rather than just talking **** about it because other people say so.

Fuzzillogic 2013-01-06 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r (Post 1311515)
thats one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard, I have a facebook account, why? It's free communication since my social groups decided to leave MSN messenger from back in the day.

Hm, I'm not gonna fight over how benevolent or evil facebook is, but my - obviously incorrect - observation is that tech-minded people are scared away, because they're aware of how much personal information facebook and similar services are raking in and, more importantly, what can be done with it without users knowing it. Not only now, but in a few years from now when harvesting and correlating technologies have evolved. Don't forget about recent improvements in artificial intelligence as well.

I'm all for social media. I think it's great! But I personally will not trust advertising companies with my personal messages. There are decentralized, open alternatives however. Unfortunately none of them seems to be gaining a significant following, except one: status.net. And to get back on topic, Jolla does have an identi.ca account, and I'm pondering whether I should get one too or set up my own status.net service.