View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Ok, still one last post here only because you seem to have missed an important detail in this week's announcements:
I apologize for appearing to have missed the important detail but, in my defense, it really didn't help to read that announcement. As I keep pointing out, it reads to me as more business double-speak where there's a coherent string of grammatically-correct English words but they ultimately can mean anything and nothing, and can be interpreted any number of ways. I think that Nokia's PR department seems to excel at streaming out negative news dressed in ambiguous terms that pretend to dress them up as optimism. After a few years of reading them, I think we started to get good at reading between the lines but it's been hard to believe that we're reading it right. Thank you for making it much clearer.

Therefore you can keep discussing about any present and future Nokia business topics if you want. They won't be directly related anymore with the present and future of maemo.org, though.
Yyyyyyyyyyup.

If you care about maemo.org more than about Nokia then a good use of your time and intelligence could be put in collaborating on a post-Nokia plan for this community. In the meantime myself, together with other Nokia employees, will continue working these days seeing how long can Nokia still fund the server infrastructure sustaining maemo.org.
I hope you realize how silly that seems. We can't even compile new kernels or obtain drivers for these Maemo-based devices and now Nokia has divorced itself from the devices, the customers, the platform and the community. It's pretty much a dead-end. It was probably always guaranteed to be a dead-end the moment it was decided somewhere inside Nokia that Maemo should be open-core software crippled with closed-source dependencies and the software surrounding it to keep it broken to everyone despite claims of openness.

It's just my opinion but I've got more interesting, progressive and future-focused things to think about and take an interest in than Maemo, if this is the case. I really had hoped otherwise but it seems every little hope and possibility is being shot-down every time I think there's a chance for something done right.

Thanks anyway. I will, however, be sure to pass along a far sterner message to anyone considering anything Nokia about the company's history of its poor loyalty to customers and communities (Maemo, MeeGo, Symbian, etc.). I'm sure I'm not the first or only one--the blogosphere, sales metrics and valuation seems to indicate to me that many are already acutely aware. I'm sure the executives will somehow manage to weather out this storm but it certainly would behoove management and shareholders to do their jobs and pay attention to established working business methods along with the metrics and tools. It would seem to me that it would indicate that there is a significant problem developing far worse after Elop took over than during the already poor pre-Microsoft-marriage era.

See you in the Community forum? Otherwise keep having fun here but don't bother asking me anything in this thread. Thank you for your understanding (I expect it and I mean it).
I'm not sure there's much to ask without being rhetorical, as I already pointed out. You effectively confirmed much of what I already expected or couldn't believe. Just the same, I'll keep asking questions and making comments, freely and openly to anyone I choose as long as I'm allowed to. Thanks anyway.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR