View Single Post
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
As was mentioned, this is caused by the switching circuitry in the charger as it regulates the output. Here's a little read on it i found with a quick google: linear vs switching chargers. Note that the "noise" the article talks about is EMI (electromagnetic interference), but it's clear that certain components can translate the electrical noise to acoustic noise. Also note that, as some people have observed, the noise becomes more pronounced as the battery is nearing full and the charger reduces the output to it.
The noise generated by these devices is primarily generated during light load operation, particularly during preconditioning and taper charge modes.
My LG charger does this, becoming very noisy when the phone isn't plugged in or the battery is full. I can also hear the noise of the power circuitry in my flat panel, and CRTs are audible to me when on. This is all due to electrical noise being converted to acoustic noise through one or more components.

Maybe Nokia will go to the dual mode charging circuitry the article talks about for their next flagship. I expect not, though. :/

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-12-07 at 14:57.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post: