View Single Post
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Sorry for the lack of updates to sdlmame. Besides being in lab almost every waking hour i have gotten sucked into playing uqm in the little time i have for fun.

Dev bloggish stuff:
Part of the problem is deciding where to direct my efforts on this project. With my main test ROM, Ghosts 'n Goblins, the drawing routine was taking up a good fraction of the CPU cycles. I profiled gauntlet today and it keeps the emulator a lot busier, making the drawing a smaller fraction of the load (it autoskips about 50% of the frames, but is surprisingly good, considering).

Code:
CPU: OMAP GPTIMER, speed 0 MHz (estimated)
Counted GPTIMER_CYCLES events (32KiHz timer clock cycles between interrupts) with a unit mask of 0x00 (No unit mask) count 16
samples  %        image name               symbol name
14740     9.1012  mame-o3-symbols          drawsdl_rgb565_setup_and_draw_textured_quad
14163     8.7449  no-vmlinux               /no-vmlinux
11178     6.9018  mame-o3-symbols          ym2151_update_one
10961     6.7678  mame-o3-symbols          pokey_update
9899      6.1121  mame-o3-symbols          cpu_execute_m68k
9787      6.0430  mame-o3-symbols          stream_update
6590      4.0690  mame-o3-symbols          cpu_execute_m6502
That's out of total usage of about 66% for the sdlmame binary, with pulseaudio hogging up its usual 10-12% and the kernel and such using the remaining 1/5 of cycles.

So, it's not so obvious with that that GL ES is worth the time. GL ES is something i have poked at a bit but it is still not all that well supported in SDL in Maemo from what i gather. I also apparently managed to annoy the main SDLMAME dev with my newbishness as i worked on getting the initial maemo build ready, and he seems to ignore my posts now, so i'm not sure if he has started on GL ES himself. I can't blame him as i was floundering around with pretty basic stuff that was new to me. Anyway, it's not very easy to coordinate arm porting efforts with no communication and frankly not much of a motivation to start on any serious changes to the code that i probably don't have time for right now, anyway.

There are lots of UI things to be fixed and a new upstream version with a lot of fixes to save states, which is a key feature for a mobile phone emulator, so there are more immediate tasks that can be done, but i wanted to ask for input on priorities. I appreciate the efforts of testers to report their experiences with different ROMs. My question to you now is what would your top request be for improvements? I'll try to handle the easy and most desired fixes first.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post: