View Single Post
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Well then you need to be clear about what you want. You want continuous support for the lifespan of your device. You can't expect a new OS to limit itself to the confines of older devices. For example, we have all seen the problems on the N900 caused by having such a small root partition. I can almost assure you that the next Nokia Linux device will not have that problem. That means that the OS will be able to have a lot more stuff on / without having to hack an optification solution. The result of that is that the next OS, whether it is MeeGo or Maemo 6 will likely not fit on the N900's tiny root partition. Forcing MeeGo (or any future Nokia OS) to restrict itself to the confines of the N900 is frankly unreasonable, in my opinion.

However, demanding full support for the lifespan of the device is perfectly reasonable. But then the question is, what is the expected lifespan of the N900? Unfortunately, I don't think that is written any where. And that is something we as a community should demand to know.
IMHO: You should get at least 2 years out of active development and support for your device.

What this means is: I don't necessarily thing MeeGo or Harmattan are required to be ported to the N900.. if they aren't they aren't.

But, Nokia has shown what they think the future is and that's QT development that can be ported.

That's fine... but a cross-compile is likely going to be necessary between MeeGo devices, and the N900..

Therefore, it's my very humble opinion, that there should be an official (and likely paid) Nokia or Intel employee that goes through the repositories for MeeGo and back-ports new software to the N900/Fremantle repositories for the next 2 years. (1 year, 9 months?).

I do not think "have the community do it" is a proper answer personally - because, well, in all communities you have helpers, which is great: But they get bored, tired, real life kicks in, etc - and they drag behind, don't want to do it anymore, receive no benefits from it.. get a new toy to play with.. etc.

So, after the 2 years of dedicated, paid support: then the community has to pickup the slack. But, I believe, there should be official support for at least 2 years for a device.

Android doesn't face this problem as much, because most apps developed on Android will simply work on all the devices out there on Android. There's a few quirks from phone to phone that sometime dev's will or won't fix for you - but the bulk of them just work. Plus, Android has been keeping it's phones updated.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: