View Single Post
Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
As nice as this thought is, I can't see anything but a bunch of "it's a 1.0 OS" excuses. Maybe Nokia just learned that if you keep starting over you should start the version number over so those excuses work (even though in this case they still won't be good excuses). I cringe every time I hear them used for Maemo.
Look, I was all about this argument from Maemo4 -> Maemo5. I think that "restart" was silly, so while I was understanding of certain things lacking or software from M4 not working in M5 because the OS was a complete re-write.. I think a step 4/5 or whatever it was shouldn't have been a "complete rewrite" to begin with.

However, Nokia is not doing this again. They were already too far along in development of Maemo 6 to stop and start over. I think that's what people are ignoring here and getting confused.

MeeGo is a totally new, from the ground, base OS that is stealing parts from Moblin and Maemo. However, the next device from nokia will not be a MeeGo device; it will be a Harmattan (Maemo 6) device. It will just have (theoretically) complete MeeGo software compatibility built-in to the structure.

Nokia is not "starting" over and just calling something "1.0"... MeeGo really is a fresh start of a totally different project. The Harmattan device is not called "Maemo 1.0".. course.. what it actually is called right now *shrug*.. qgil mentioned calling it "MeeGo-Harmattan" since it's a bit of a hybrid for both.

MeeGo-Harmattan will still be Deb-based, for example: which is a dramatic difference from MeeGo's RPM-base core. I'd venture that "MeeGo-Harmattan" will actually be more Maemo, than MeeGo. But, of course, we really have no idea what it is right now as it's not in the open.

What most of you should be concerned about is not whether MeeGo will be on the N900.. but whether the next official OS from Nokia will be - and that's MeeGo-Harmattan (pending more formal naming)... and there is an entire thread about the possibilities or not of a full Community Edition of that for the N900.

MeeGo is an entirely separate beast, and should be treated as such. Unless, of course, we start getting bugfixes marked as "Fixed in MeeGo".
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: