View Single Post
I agree on most all points. I was disappointed to hear no official support for MeeGo was coming to the N900. The final decision for me to actually buy the N900 and spend that much money was that it was named the official dev platform for MeeGo. So I knew that, at least in some capacity, MeeGo would come... but it's still upsetting to see that at best we'll get a mostly functional dev-build.

Things such as the possibility of no Flash 10 on the N900 further point towards, despite what Nokia rep's keep telling us, as far as Nokia is concerned Maemo is mostly a "dead" platform. Maemo 5, the best edition of Maemo that I've had so far (started with Chinook), was alive for about 3 months after the N900 was released and then immediately crashed when they started saying that a bunch of things would not be fixed in M5 but instead wait for Harmattan, and then saying Harmattan is not coming to the N900.

Then they gave hope, yet again, by the announcement of MeeGo. Maybe Harmattan wasn't coming to the N900 because we would get MeeGo? Sadly, no. I feel bad, actually, for the people that buy the Harmattan device - I realize Nokia believes they have already invested too much development into it to restructure it now on MeeGo .. but no matter how good the "compatibility" layer will be, it still won't be MeeGo. MeeGo has been shown to be the primary focus from here on out, meaning that Harmattan is pretty much dead even before it's released. Unless they come up with a seriously killer automated system that RPM's added to MeeGo's repo's are automatically grabbed, unpackaged, repackaged into DEB, and uploaded to Harmattan's Repo's.. you can claim all the compatibility you want: Still requires someone (either paid, or community) to manually bring the apps to a platform already lost focus, already being forgotten, already losing dev's to the "new" OS.

I personally Love my N900 and Maemo 5 suits me fine, Once MeeGo is available in a Dev version (with UX) I will likely use that.. I certainly have hopes that Stskeeps and Qgil with the community can bring forth M6-HE and "user" ready MeeGo editions as well. But the lack of official support for the future, so quickly after a device is release, by Nokia is quite upsetting.

Ultimately though, someone like me doesn't have an option. As long as Nokia continues to release the best device on the market for me (for me, Android and Wapple don't even come close to this) - I will continue to buy them and Nokia still makes money off of me.. even if I disagree with quite a few of their decisions.

(Can't really claim any of the competitors are much better.. it's just a shame someone can't be "better").

ETA: Just read through Texrat's blog and realized we have the same complaints. Yay for repetition .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-06-11 at 16:05.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: