View Single Post
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Lastly, let's remember what brought us here... people are looking for an excuse/justification for its deficiency compared to those devices classed as 'smartphones', thus the argument of 'more like mobile computers'
Justification is like masturbation - you're only screwing yourself.

I personally don't buy into the excuses that it does or doesn't do X because of Y or Z. I don't care.

The "phone" on it works fine for me.

The "computer" on it works fine for me.

The N900 works fine for me. And it works more consistently with multi-tasking than Android ever did for me.

Thus.. it is the right device for me... mobile computer, phone, smartphone, or any other name. It just is what it is and it works for me.

Anything that can be done on the N900 can be on done Android if someone were to write it. Same for vice-versa. As long as the hardware is there, the application can be made.

Whether or not one is more of a mobile computer or not, to me, implies that it operates more consistently with how you expect a computer to operate. Currently the N900 operates exactly like I expect my Desktop to operate... Android does not. Therefore, IMHO, the N900 is more of a "computer" than Android. In the sense that Linux means GNU/Linux, by "computer" I'm not talking about the static "computer" definition of "performing calculations automatically".. technically we could call a "calculator" a "computer" - I'm using "computer" in the generic vernacular that one would link to a Personal Computer, Desktop or Laptop.

And no.. in today's day and age... "DOS" isn't really a Personal Computer OS anymore. It's a dinosaur, archaic and outdated. In it's time it was awesome, and was a computer then - but as I described above: The new stuff came in and took over and that is now a "computer".. DOS is just junk.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: