View Single Post
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I personally believe we are heading towards a convergence of devices and whoever gets their first with the right execution will disrupt the market.
What I talking about is the pluggable computing concept...
A laptop dock/module could potentially appeal to desktop Linux users. I say Linux users as it starts there but once ordinary (non-Linux) users see what such a device is capable of, there is a potential for market expansion.
Yes, it is a possibility. Following this thinking :

1. Many tablet users (with mobile OS) who tried to replace notebook/desktop PC computers in the last years are back to PC computers in the form of ultrabook/hybrid computers running desktop OS. More important is the form factor (thin, light hardware);

2. Many smartphone users don't use the usual phone (voice call) side a lot, but mainly Internet services (social networks, web browser, email, etc);

3. Raspberry Pi can be transformed in many things, like an (smart)phone, tablet, etc. But it needs hacking a lot in terms of hardware and software;

4. Large smartphones (phablets) usage worldwide shows that large hardware (in size), like in Psion handheld computers days (e.g., Psion 5MX or Revo+) is not a problem. Just be lighter than Psion;

5. Smartphones and tablets have hardware specs like PC from few years ago, like 4-core CPU, GPU, 2-3 GB of RAM, high-res screens, etc;

6. Intel hardware for mobile devices (tablets and smartphones) are competitive nowadays in terms of price and energy efficiency;

7. Instead of mobile OS trying to become a desktop OS in behaviour (in convergent devices), why not the other way around ?

8. So, why not put a desktop OS (e.g., Linux with one of the current graphical environments which fits well for touch and different size screens) on Intel hardware, with an added phone software stack using (an optional ?) phone hardware module ?

It would be something like Openmoko GTAx, but with Intel hardware, phablet/tablet screens, and phone hardware being modular.

So :

- it would inherit decades of desktop softwares. E.g., Linux running X11/(X)Wayland. With dependencies. With multitasking. With multiuser;
- it would need few hardware drivers, mainly for the phone hardware module;
- it could be used in many form factors (phablet and tablet screen sizes, without or with hardware keyboards, etc).
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post: