View Single Post
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Some feedback. First, let me tell you I love this nifty little app. Very useful indeed.
Thank you for the feedback.

By default it is installed in the Science category. I think it should go to Development, although others might of course think otherwise.
It is really hard to choose. So at sourceforge it is in category Science & Engineering->Scientific/Engineering.
You want it in development. However you can nothing develop with it (like it is described in maemo wiki deployment).
Sixwheeledbeast send me a control file with utilities. Regarding the wiki, tools should go under utilities category.
My decision now is: "utilities" category.

[*] There is no need for the "Exit" menu entry. In fact people won't expect it and may confuse it for "Edit" as I did - and get a surprise
Done.

Some help would be nice. It did not take me long to work out what the A, B, C registers are for but still.
Ok I see. I will implement a small help. You also can read the first post.

Switching to fewer bits and back clears the top bits. This should not happen. At least not in the signed mode: it should sign-extend when switching from e.g. 8 to 16 bits.
I think it is okay because they don't exists in fewer bits. Hmm "sign-extend" sorry I don't get it. I thought it is zero-extention.
In principle these radiobutton doesn't make a cast it is only a general configuration and can't be applied to single register.

The ASCII fields are not necessarily ASCII. By that I mean non-ASCII values are not suppressed. This can be considered a feature of course.
Then it is a feature.

It would be nice to have an option to save the current state on exit. I would even welcome that as the default.
I don't like it as default. But maybe I will implement an option to load/save the settings when start/close the application. For the next release there will be only a save and load menu entry.

It would be nice to have a "Clear" button, although not really necessary as one could just type 0 in the "dec" or "hex" edit box.
There is now a clear button (clears current register) and a "clear all" menu entry (clears all registers).

It would be nice to have a switch between little and big endian. Probably only useful for the ASCII representation and that can be easily reversed so perhaps not that important.
Yes not that important.

I am probably too young for that and have never seen the point but some people might like the conversion to/from octal base (did you realize that there is no way to type a decimal integer zero in C? ).
Done.

Be happy to update to a next release later today.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post: