View Single Post
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I agree. Something needs to be done to separate out the N8x0s (along with the 770) from this forum. The same issue has been raised in this thread about "re-structuring" talk.maemo.org.

Even once things die down over the introduction of the N900, the fact is that at a minimum the Applications section has to be divided into Fremantle and pre-Fremantle. I don't care if it's done with mandatory meta-tags or with a separate forum -- but something needs to change.

I like to scroll through all the New Posts, and most are just irrelevant to me at this point. A separate forum would fix that problem. But I understand how a separate forum could fragment and damage the community.

Meta-tags for

1. N900
2. pre-N900
3. Both N900 and pre-N900
4. Neither N900 nor pre-N900

would work, if one and only one such meta-tag had to be assigned to each thread. For it to work for me, I would have to be able to use the forum as it is now, but with the meta-tags acting as a filter. ("N900," of course, means also Maemo 5, and "pre-N900" is intended to include Diablo and Chinook.)

Thus, someone like me could go to New Posts and see only those that were in categories 2 and 3. I could, of course, still look at Category 1 and Category 4 (off-topic, competitors, not much else there I would think) if I felt like it.

Similarly, a newcomer who doesn't care about the pre-N900 world of Maemo could look at Category 1 or at Categories 1 and 3.

I think this is important. Please note (vote in) the poll in the above-referenced thread.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post: