Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Lately it seems when using application manager I get operation failed errors more often than not! Upon checking the log I see the following error(s), first I got this error:

W: GPG error: http://maemo-hackers.org chinook release: The following sign apt-worker command 6 already pending

So I went and removed maemo hackers repository and tried updating again to see what would happen, I still get an operation failed error, when I check the log I see a different error though:

apt-worker command 6 already pending

What does this mean and how do I stop it from happening?

Also how do you become root in OS2008, what repository holds gainroot or is there another tool available? I wanted to run apt-get from xterm to see what would happen...

Thank you.

Jeremy.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by jer006 View Post
Also how do you become root in OS2008, what repository holds gainroot or is there another tool available? I wanted to run apt-get from xterm to see what would happen...
Can't help you with the rest but for the last question search for 'becomeroot' in http://gronmayer.com/it/ for the repository you need to add.

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Giovinazzo, Bari, Italy
Application Manager operation failed

This list of operations following has been successfully tried on a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet with OS 2006,
in order to resolve a situation in which, after an Internet update of a program (WiFiinfo), the Application Manager
was unable to perform the update, giving an "Application Manager operation failed" message every
time the Application Manager was executed.
Simply, you are unable to see packages installed, remove or add packages.

You need the following prerequisites:

-you should have xterm installed
-you should have the LINUX flasher downloaded. I have used flasher 3.0 on UBUNTU 7.10
-you should have a LINUX distribution installed. I have used UBUNTU 7.10

The problem is in the tablet, in the directory /var/cache/apt , where there are the files downloaded after the
last unsuccessful update, that the Application Manager tries to reapply unsuccessfully every time it is executed.

The solution is deleting everything is in /var/cache/apt , acting as root for the tablet.

1 - Fully charge the tablet. Better to have the battery full.
2 - In Linux, execute the flasher as root in order to activate Research and Development mode, so that you
can execute gainroot

Nokia switched off, not usb connected to the computer

su root
./flasher - -enable-rd-mode

LINUX will say that it is waiting something on the usb port
connect the tablet to the usb cable
hold the HOME tablet key (the one with the home icon)
switch the tablet on
On the tablet, some icons will appear
On linux, the flasher will say "R & D mode enabled"
disconnect the tablet from the usb port, and it will automatically reboot
After reboot, you will note nothing strange, but now you can become root...
run xterm
in xterm write
sudo gainroot
you will receive the # root prompt
write
cd /var/cache/apt
rm -r *
mkdir archives
cd archives
mkdir partial

now the directories will be empty.
try to run the Application Manager, and your problems should be gone away.

Now, let's disable R & D mode.
Nokia switched off, not usb connected to the computer

su root
./flasher - -disable-rd-mode

LINUX will say that it is waiting something on the usb port
connect the tablet to the usb cable
hold the HOME tablet key (the one with the home icon)
switch the tablet on
On the tablet, some icons will appear
On linux, the flasher will say "R & D mode disabled"

That's all, folks.

Last edited by m.capurso; 2008-04-23 at 13:24. Reason: There is a subtle mistake

The Following User Says Thank You to m.capurso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
If you googled to here looking for a way to solve corruption problems about "Application Manager operation failed" then look at this post in a different thread.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)