Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Weird.

If that turns out to be correct, then someone probably ought to change http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/ because that says:

Originally Posted by N900 Site
ARM Cortex - A8 superscalar microprocessor core running at 600 MHz
=/

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Actually, the issue is locking it to 600mhz, apparently.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Yes, that was what I heard when I saw the presentation.

Would be interesting to know the failure mode (I didn't get a chance to ask Igor) - presumably the processor will clock itself down if it gets too hot....?

Posts: 439 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ spain-aragon-zaragoza
pcsx2 linux developer say that ,

Sorry, but I don't think that is feasible.

First, it uses an ARM processor, and pcsx2 has a bunch of assembly in it written for a x86 processor, all of which would have to be rewritten.

Second, even if that was done, the processor is too slow to run pcsx2. I've tried running pcsx2 on a similar speed x86 processor, and it was not playable.

I doubt the graphics would work well on a 3.5" screen, either. I've played ps2 games on a 7" screen, and have enough trouble making out text on there.

It looks like a nice device, but not really something pcsx2 is suited for.

finally only can play
:
gameboy/gameboy color
gameboy advance
nes/nintendo
nintendo ds
supernintendo/superfamikon/supernes
megadrive/genesis
master system/game gear
play station
nintendo 64
mame
neogeo
scumm

and older computers(spectrum,amsttad)

ngage games

that is good

with a bluetooh gamepad gp100 for example , like this jej

new consoles added

Last edited by samipower; 2009-10-15 at 20:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to samipower For This Useful Post:
I have a n900 running 900mhz for some time now with no problems,i has a toshiba tg01 with a ps1 emu on it that was ok but the phone was rubbish,the n900 will run at 7-8-900mhz fine with no problem and the idle speed is reduced to 125mhz so the battery lasts longer under normal use.

this thread is pretty old i.e before anyone probably even thought of overclocking there N900...

Also emulating a ps2 with only 900mhz would be some achievment, I hate to say things are impossable becasue someone usually proves you wrong but there's a lot of custom hardware to emulate in a ps2, have a look at the link and quote below.

"A common misconception regarding PCSX2 is that a processor with a relatively high clock speed, such as a Pentium 4 or Athlon XP (the former with clock speeds as high as 3.8 GHz), should easily be able to
emulate PS2 games at full speed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCSX2

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
I do not have data to back this up, but I can confidently say:

No way!

(I'm sure there are many reasons why... I just don't know them and am too lazy to google)

...and welcome to the forum!

|||EDIT
It should be noted that I am basing this assertion off of the fact that I can barely run a ps2 emulator on my pc which has 4gb ram, 2.4ghz dual-core processor, and a 512mb nvidia geforce card.
Of course its possible, its mostly dependent on ram, id go on a long shot and say that its possible to run a PS3 emulator on the n900, but playable HECK NO for the PS3 at least.

And the ps2 i is afaik harder to emulate (not looking at the cpu clock) than the N64, but that would be because of the emotion engine.

To sum it up,

PS1 emulator: working well with overclock as of today
PSP emulator: Possibly going to happend, but my bet is that it will never run fullspeed
PS2 emulator: The only reason it would happen is a proof of concept, like running windows 98 on the psp

programmers are still trying to get a fully working 5th generation emulator up and running on the N900 ie PS One and N64 era..

Even the 1st generation PS3 were not 100% backward compatible and I am referring to the NTSC 60Gb model that was released in the US.

Too much custom hardware to emulate for a pocket pc/mobile to handle