Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
My sister is looking for an inexpensive phone with wifi so that she can access gmail and maybe google calendar while on the road. She doesn't want to have to move to a dataplan, so any smartphone that T-Mobile will require a dataplan for isn't an option.

I know the wifi access on the Android phone my dad had stopped working after an update when T-Mobile decided they wanted to force customers to use a data plan, so i don't know what phone is safe to suggest. I was thinking maybe an older Nokia phone...

Any ideas?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
The Nokia 6301b has wifi access and UMA. I do not recall if it was able to access gmail as it has been a while since I used it. No data plan required for it at the time I was using it.

The RM-323 is the North American version. RM-322 is the European version. It looks exactly like the 6300 (RM-2xx, don't recall at the moment) so be sure to check the RM number when buying it.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
My sister is looking for an inexpensive phone with wifi so that she can access gmail and maybe google calendar while on the road.
Does it absolutely have to be a phone? Have you heard about the pre-N900 Maemo devices? There is a certain amount of information about them in these forums. I see several N800's available on eBay as "Buy It Now" items for under $100, and a few auctions that could close much lower than that. With one of these, your sister could not only do her mail and calendar, but also make cheap/free Skype calls when she can get wifi.

For phone calls and texts away from wifi availability, she can continue to use whatever she already has with T-mobile.

The Nokia 770 is available for about half the price of the N800. It can do the mail, calendar and many other things, but not Skype.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Thanks for your suggestions.

Yeah, unfortunately it needs to be a phone. I will suggest to her a separate NIT but i don't think she wants to go that route.

I looked up the 6301b and from what i read on Howard Forums it seemed to be somewhat limited on Tmobile. Has anyone experience with that phone?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

nokia neuron?

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
I would lean towards an older nokia phone... e71, n95. Should be pretty cheap on ebay too.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.