Active Topics

Notices

I have a limited data plan, and when I connect via GPRS sometimes I see that a large amount of data has been downloaded without me doing anything, so I was wondering if there's a way to find out which applications use the connection.

Anyway I know the E-mail application doesn't check except on wifi, but I'm not sure about the application manager. Can you suggest other applications that may automatically use network??

Thanks

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
unless you have widgets that update automagically, the culprit is probably just the app manager.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Last edited by cfh11; 2010-11-17 at 20:30.

`lsof -i` will show you open connections on the interface, along with the process that spawned it.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Ya it's probably the application manager, too bad there isn't a way to disable it, will vote for that.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I remember reading there was a way to set it to update every thousands of days or somthing, basicly making the time for the automatic update check never arrive.

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by enceladus47 View Post
Ya it's probably the application manager, too bad there isn't a way to disable it, will vote for that.
There is, well practically.

Run the following

Code:
gconftool -s --type int /apps/hildon/update-notifier/check_interval NEW_VALUE
Replace NEW_VALUE with your desired update interval.
As default it is set to 1440 which is 24 hours, the maximum is 2147483647 which is just over 68 years.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
Will it display anything to confirm this has changed? Do I need to be root?

Okay that's great, will still be able to check for updates manually though, right?

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Yes, manual checking will still work, you will no longer see that little exclamation mark telling you about updates, so just keep that in mind and make sure you check for updates regularly.

This won't display anything, it should just go back to the standard prompt.