Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Managed to get Opera running on my OS2008HE 770, made a deb and tested it on my N800 - works. Posting here Tell me if it works for you.
The downside is that it managed to drag a big chunk of the filesystem with it... So if you can sacrifice 20MB for an old, crappy and fast browser, be welcome

Pros:
* Fast.
* Not too memory hungry.

Cons:
* Big (on OS2007 it is 5MB, but on OS2008 almost 20MB ). Entirely my fault, blame me.
* Theme is not working (needs a separate sapwood-server for that, if someone can tell me how to run a second sapwood-server - i'm all ears)...
* Old and can't open newer sites (like internettablettalk.com default theme for instance).
* No Flash (too late here for that now).

* I was warned (not by Opera) that there may be licensing issues and I also think so, so i'm removing the file for now. *

P.S. Almost forgot - if you manage to break your OS install - don't blame me. I'm not installing any libs in /usr/lib anyway.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-05-08 at 04:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Is there a reason to suppose that a similar drag of Opera from OS2007 -> OS2008 (non-HE) wouldn't work as well? It might be a fun little project.

(Some of us have no 770...)

This current one works on OS2008 on my N800. However if you want the optimized libs for this processor - that's another beer

It works? Sweet! I guess I might have thought before I posted...

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Does it work with the standard on-screen keyboard?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Yes, but for some reason autocomplete from the adressbar is not working.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Unfortunately, almost anything I did crashed the browser. Maybe since it's so tangled up with MicroB (adopts its bookmarks, etc; seems to share the menu,...).

On the positive side, it uninstalled cleanly.

Thanks for taking this shot at it. If it's fast, it seems worth pursuing.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

I was warned (not by Opera) that there may be licensing issues and I also think so, so i'm removing the file for now.

Let's discuss what can i distribute then - a deb without the Opera specific libs for instance?

On the other hand - if there's license restriction on device, why Opera was included in OS2007HE then?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
On the other hand - if there's license restriction on device, why Opera was included in OS2007HE then?
The licensing is based on a Device and OS combination. So 770 + OS2005 or OS2006 is licensed and an N800 + OS2007 is licensed, but a 770 + OS2007 isn't. Still, though, they did ship Opera with the earlier OS2007HEs, it was just replaced by (the better, in my opinion) MicroB more recently once the browser team had time to make the backports.

Originally Posted by http://www.notacloud.com/blog/?p=26
You can run most applications, including the Browser. You get the OS 2007 Browser UI but the version of the Opera engine from OS 2006. There are two reasons for this. One reason is that the OS 2007 engine will simply not run. We suspect it is the way it was compiled specifically for the N800 but we don’t have the source code so that’s a guess. The other reason is that the license of Opera that goes with the 770 does not cover the update. Somebody would have to pay more to ship the updated version.
Honestly, I don't know what's okay and what's not okay to distribute myself. I'm not in tune with the legal mumbo jumbo.

Last edited by Navi; 2008-05-08 at 05:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Navi For This Useful Post: