Active Topics

basically i want a new phone (n900) but im not sure if its stable yet i see alot of ppl with problems. now im seeing this whole maemo 6 what should i do waite? and no im seeing this android thing like android is better than maemo?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
1. it is stable
2. maemo 6 is coming not before end of 2010
3. define "better". For me android is not better

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
A better title would get you a better response

This has and will be asked 100s of times. If you are the type to get that concerned, then the N900 may not be the device for you.

Had mine since start of December and love it. Had a few hitches after the latest PR1.1 release, but re-flashing the device sorted that. The reflash was easy to do and the back up restored my phone perfectly. There are some rough edges but the browsing experience alone is enough to make up for those IMHO.

I wanted a phone, with keyboard, good camera, memory card slot, decent operating system (not MS!), WIFI, GPS and VOIP.
After doing a lot or research the N900 was the only choice for me. If I had waited 6 months then maybe a different decision, but you can wait forever if that is the case

As for android vs Maemo, there are plenty of reviews so read them! It's horses for courses as far as I am concerened. All the current crop of smart phones have thier plus and minus point. It's a case of matching them with your requirments.

Last edited by bockersjv; 2010-01-26 at 11:27.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The problems... are rather concentrated on this site because this is a group of tinkerers that have dived rather deep into the phone and operating system. Casual users - I know a few of them with the N900 - have had no problems really and are enjoying the phone.

Biggest problem you'll run into were the early adopters that installed applications and it filled up areas of the filesystem before the updates were applied.

Now... I would recommend doing more research first. It's not a perfect platform, there is a possibility (it's unknown at the moment) that Maemo 6 will not be an update for the N900. Do more research, ask more questions... and good luck.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
thanks zehjotkah - iv just seen a few forums saying android is more friendly and other things. i was just confused dat all and dont want to get the n900 and i cant use it as a phone if you understand evan iv waited so long for bugs to fix. im in patient lol

I love the n900 and wouldn't change it for any other phone... but

I don't think it's completely stable, there's still a few little bugs in it, probably no worse than any other phone though!

I haven't used the new versions of Andriod but personally I don't think you can go wrong with the open nature of Maemo...

thanks i think ill get it

i was just confused dat all and dont want to get the n900 and i cant use it as a phone
You won't have a problem with that mate.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
if i was head honcho at nokia i would stop selling the n900 cos it is just too damn good,
id keep every single one of them all for myself!
i vowed never to buy a nokia product again after the last 7 months of owning a n97, but im so glad i changed my mind!
personally the only good thing about android is the cool name (android)
the phone and os looks pretty crap to me, but ive never tried one so take no notice of my opinions,
this is just how i made my decision.
until a uk network starts offering them on ontract and we all get to play with a nexusone, no one can really say if there good or bad, but i am so relieved that i chose n900 and it still makes me say 'wow' every morning

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Renamed thread

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful