Why do none of the clone to sd card lessons include creating a swap partion? I mean would it not be a good idea to give uers a swap partion for a cloned OS?

Last edited by Ricky-Lee; 2008-08-14 at 19:54. Reason: Better topic title

You should rename this to something other than "Question" if you expect an answer.

But the short version is that there is already a swapfile that can be created using the control panel (and I usually extend mine to 256k from the max 128). That file appears in the right places to automatically be turned on. It is possible to create a swap partition (I did once), but it isn't as convenient to get all the other bits in sync (from every boot, across new clones, etc. so it automatically is mounted and dismounted...).

If you understand how they work, it doesn't require a lesson. If you don't, it would be risky to try to write up a short-cut method. And if you need one, the swapfile is easy.

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
You should rename this to something other than "Question" if you expect an answer.
Ah... not true!

That's what we have smart-alecks like me around for:
Answer!

(Oh, and I'd agree with tz1 on the answer you wanted. One addition, though: a swap partition uses up one of your 7 partitions available, which is not good if you're massively multibooting...)

7 partitions? I thought there were only 4 primary per mmc. Of course I'm not booting PenDriveLinux on my PC from my tablet. I do that with my phone's mmc in drive mode

actually...penguinbaits clone to sd made easy creates a fat a swap and a ext2 partition.... and his advanced one lets u make your own sizes with a txt file...

whats the problem??
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Sioux Falls SD
I checked this post just to see how many people gave you hell for naming a post "Question". Not as many as I expected. Imagine if everyone who had a question named it "Question".....

Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
7 partitions? I thought there were only 4 primary per mmc. Of course I'm not booting PenDriveLinux on my PC from my tablet. I do that with my phone's mmc in drive mode
4 primary, sure. I've got 3 primary, 1 extended, and 3 logical. (7 partitions literally, but unless you do sneaky/evil stuff (which I'm not doing ATM), the extended partition is perfectly useless, so it's really quite limiting...)