Active Topics

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Hei,

Pretty self-explanatory really. I flashed PR1.2 Global but didn't flash the MMC with the new Vanilla image. Whats new in it? What does it add? Why should/shouldn't it be used?

It's also common sense really. Flash it if u are having issues or want a clean start I. E full format

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I'm not sure what is the difference between the new eMMC image and the old one, but I'm sure there is a reason for its exsistence.

However, you don't need to bother with the eMMC at all if you're just doing a regular update or reflash.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
The vanilla one smells different.

Only joking.

It's plain.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Duh. I know the MMC flash is for a totally clean and new start but I wanted to know the difference between the old vanilla image and the new one!

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by shanrizvi View Post
Duh. I know the MMC flash is for a totally clean and new start but I wanted to know the difference between the old vanilla image and the new one!
I'm interested in the changes as well...

Might have something to do with optifying maybe?

Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
i flashed the new vanilla just to be sure i wouldnt have errors on pr1.2.. but would be nice with some official statement about the new vanilla image.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Actually... What is the difference between the vanilla versions?
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Code:
$ diff -rq pr1.1/img/ pr1.2/img/ |grep -v "User Guide"

Files pr1.1/img/autorun.inf and pr1.2/img/autorun.inf differ
Files pr1.1/img/.n900.ico and pr1.2/img/.n900.ico differ
Files pr1.1/img/.videos/Nokia_N900.mp4 and pr1.2/img/.videos/Nokia_N900.mp4 differ
In addition to that only the User Guides in .documents seem to be changed.

Last edited by hqh; 2010-05-26 at 09:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
the major diff i found is tht the device does not connect in mass storage mode when a usb cable is connected to the device in a switched off state.

Before the update the phone use to connect in mass storage mode when switched off. . . . now the phone must be switched on. .

Suks man!!!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dattadude For This Useful Post: